Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Epic GT3 Action at Monza

The deeds for the sheep station appeared to be on the line by the way they were going at it.

Some VERY questionable driving there, it was a track day, not a race :dont know:

Personally, if he had driven like that alongside me I would have put him into the wall :judge:

I'd be bored to death driving that, it was literally like playing a computer game. Immensely capable but not my cup of tea. I remember when the GTR first came out in 2008 and the Porsche fraternity screaming at the Datsun boys' that OK it maybe quicker but it has no soul, boring' etc but Porsche now seem to be producing the exact same drones.
I have been in the new GT3 and they are wonderful places to be just so little interation.

Anyone had previous gen GT3's now with a 991GT3 feel they miss out on anything, or is the new performance level on offer a compensation worth the interaction loss?

kurlykris said:
Some VERY questionable driving there, it was a track day, not a race :dont know:

a lot of the wins over the other cars had more to do with the drivers "commitment" to dive (bully) up the inside of traffic rather that racing lines/ car performance.

kurlykris said:

Personally, if he had driven like that alongside me I would have put him into the wall :judge:

Definitely, some seriously dodgy moves there that relied on another fast car looking in their mirrors whilst themselves overtaking slower moving vehicles. Certainly wouldn't last long on a UK track day, either through carnage or being black flagged.

Paul

Quite a lot of assholery from a lot of the drivers.

The guy in the green McLaren obviously got his dander up...

ultegra said:
The guy in the green McLaren obviously got his dander up...

What a fantastic turn of phrase :thumb:

With twuntery like that I'm really surprised no one went home in a body bag :nooo:

Jeeeesus, buy a race car and compete ffs. That is just insane from some drivers

This is pretty standard behaviour from Italians on trackdays (& on the road too!) TBH. They do treat it like a race and (particularly at the 'ring, IME) they will often be the ones crashing or causing others to crash. Overtake either side, under brakes & into/through/out of corners: all normal stuff. BMW M3s are the ones we watch out for...

When BaT went to Imola a couple of years back, a bunch of Italians in Elise racecars called the cops to get Jonny arrested when he tried to reign them in for racing each other. Turns out you can't mix road cars & race cars on a trackday in Italy by law. Organiser is subject to € 50,000 fine as I recall!

I remember having an old guy in a small white van of some kind repeatedly trying to drive a foot off my bumper on an Italian motorway on that Imola trip. I was in the 993 & there was lots of traffic so I'd overtake, zoom off up the road & then be held up while Mr WhiteVanMan maintained a foot to the floor flat out 160KPH - must have gone on for 100Km until he had to turn off. :roll:

Pretty epic control from the GT3 driver - clearly getting a lot of experience from the crazy differing speeds and abilities on track. Clerk on the course should seriously only allow cars of similar standards on the track. Clearly doesn't GAS. Nothing's changed since my own euro racing years in the 90s. Pleasing to see a new GT3 driver using the car for its real value and purpose. Tyres = gone after track day. Brakes = need a proper check or replacement after track day. Go hard again and learn from the next one.

A friend of mine Eduardo, seriously fast and I mean fast; did 7:31 on the Ring this year when I was there with him. I could only manage 8:33.

The guy with the black GT3 on the right:

FWIW , I thought he showed a lot of self control, and blitzed all around him.. . . . his only slight blemish being rising to the bait of the @ss-hole in the grey gt3rs/cup car who brake tested him, whom he anyhow subsequently "torched" a couple of laps later :grin:

It does look somewhat easy to drive but of course it should really, lots of cognitive capacity left over for brake and turn points :D

Trouble with "track day" vids is that there is no balance of performance at play so you are never comparing apples with apples as far as driver and car competancy are concerned. sOme are out for a laugh and some are measuring willies. The relative "driver attitudes" though roughly adheres to national stereotypes in my experience.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back