Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Thinking of buying a Boxster

limpetminer

Just sold my 996 & wish i had kept it, so now thinking of buying a boxster but a bit worried i might be disappointed with performance etc over the 996, i have a small budget of 6 to 8 k, just wondering if anyone else has gone from a 996 to a boxster & how they got on with it.

kas750 has just bought a Boxster to play in over the winter whilst his 997 GT3 is keeping warm in the garage. He's probably your man to give you a good idea of what you'll be getting as he's previously owned a 996.

A few other members have had both too, but usually go from Boxster to 996.

I have a modified 997 Turbo and a 987 Boxster S. I had Boxsters before but going back to driving the Boxster daily has been great. I was worried I'd feel it wasn't very good compared but I love it. And with it being mid engined it feels different in ways and I think that makes a difference.

For that price range you could get a very nice 986 S with 3.2 engine. Or a 987 with 2.7 probably. My nephew has been looking at Boxsters recently and found one locally last week that was £7k for a 2.7 with 43k Miles but was Cat D. But he's seen others that were about £8k. With you coming from a 996 though you will already be familiar with the interior so maybe a good 986 will be preferable.

I'd go out and test drive a few to get used to them. You wont regret it.

Also there was a guy on here a while back (or may have been another forum) that bought a 986 3.2S and had a friend with a 996 and said the performance was very close.

I bought a new Boxster when they were launched and back then these things were a revelation.The engine was a really sweet unit with a nice step in the power at 4,000 rpm which made it rewarding to drive along with a great soundtrack.There was enough power to allow you to wring the cars neck without the risk of getting yourself in to trouble.I ran this car for a couple of years without a problem.

So recently I decided to revisit a 986.It was with some trepidation as I presumed I was looking back at these cars through the proverbial rose tinted specs.But no.A 986 is still a great car to drive with enormous amounts of balance and feedback.Ok you have to be careful what you buy as lots of these have been run on a shoestring budget in recent times but really these are an absolute steal these days,especially a 2.5 model which has proven to be the most robust engine fitted to the Boxster's.I even love the fried egg's!!!

and all for less than the price of a PCCB disc on my GT3

:thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccosh
Back