Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Camel's Porsche 993 Targa Project

Cameltoe & Heel

Fellow 993 nuts, some of you maybe aware of my story and some maybe remember me from five or so yrs ago when I had a 993 S. In fact a great bloke who frequents this site bought it from me. Hope he's still about.

I loved the 'S' but it was a very low mileage example and was somewhat of a garage queen which to be honest required very little doing apart from the usual to keep it in tip top shape. I say this as I fancy myself as a bit of an amateur mechanic, I really do enjoy the spannering.

Anyways, I've always wanted to get myself back into a 993 but funds and various commitments wouldn't allow. Anyway about fifteen months back I bought a crash damaged 993 Targa in Ocean Blue, lovely car in good pre-accident condition with FSH etc.

Apart from purchase an original set of wheels and a few bits to fix the roof I've done very little with the car so far due to a house move and the like, I've now started to look a repairing the car and get it back into the shape it deserves.

There's quite a bit to do on it, O/S rear suspension damage and and N/S rear quarter are the more obvious points. I've started the strip down of the back end. I intend to drop the engine and rear suspension, this will allow me to check the engine and box, remediate the suspension, also allow for easy access to replace N/S rear quarter.

Strip is started and can be seen below:-

91588DCB-B990-4974-9333-8DBE7AB557E4.jpg

A685CB83-F77D-43A0-8284-096B69C26F97.jpg

From above, I have the engine lid and rear PU they've just been removed.

43C03A4B-DA7B-46E4-84E9-E4FB9ACFE0C5.jpg

Down to the chassis legs, I was pretty happy with the lack of rust in comparison to some i've seen.

4AB55714-F7EC-415B-AC3A-C03A02732090_1.jpg

Even the dreaded PU hangers are in good condition, maybe they've been replaced in the past.

9A8930F5-D48E-4460-9D37-1DA46E5B68E2_1.jpg

Shot down the N/S leg

5F875C0C-9FC3-4653-ABED-339B9EABE892_1.jpg

F6045807-7C3E-473B-93B3-17BEEF393C52_1.jpg

Now I got to look at this rear quarter, will do more stripping of the rear then it's roof completely off time :).

Luckily no damage beyond rear quarter in here.

D90D0844-5092-43F9-803C-FB2FDBB2DCF1.jpg

I'm happy to post details of my progress as I go, I'd also like to tap into the groups vast amount of expertise when it comes to these cars.

Cheers
Trev

Nice one Trev. You have large cahoonas.

I'd fix the underpinnings, and just bash the panels back out, slap some Hammerite on the exposed metal, remove one of the front headlights and drive it - live a little.

:D

Good grief, the things you clever boys get up to.
I took my battery out today and that was enough for me. Hurt my back lifting it out.
I'll be watching this green with envy.

I will definitely be interested to see what happens when the roof comes off. What needs doing to the roof?

Mine is going into the garage in a week or so, to have the rusting issue with the join at the top of the windscreen sorted. Will you be replacing or keeping the door seals. I am told these are not a cheap day out

ATB
Ian

Hi Ian, just pulling the roof to get access to the rear quarters.

I will overhaul the roof whilst off, new rubbers where required and swap the broken bracket.

Not sure about the door seals as yet, one step at a time I say :)

Trev

I ordered some metal window trim bits years ago for my 993 Targa, I never fitted them but now can't remember what they are for!

I've still got them, I'll post up the part no in case they are any use to you industrious people.

Hey Trev,
Have you planned on taking wing support brackets off the rear chassis leg? This is where I think you might find all the cardinal sins!

Fair dues for taking this one on , looks like you've picked a good one tho.. No nasty surprises so far I hope?

I've spent the morning wrenching as well , taking seats and consoles out of my G to get at a leak , but I don't think I'd have the danglies to tackle the 993, my hat is off to you! :thumb: :cop:

Great OP. Enjoy the spannering, I look forward to further posts :)

Trev, more pics as you go please. Wish I knew one end of a spanner from the other.
Ian

Gents, what are you thoughts on creating a WB Targa?, it had crossed my mind and OC also mentioned it?.

Pretty rare :)

Trev

OC should know better.

Personally I'd choose a NB over a WB any day. I don't get them.

Same engine, more weight.

Personally I think the NB on the Targa is spot on ......... so I would leave as be.

The reason I don't get WBs is that it is form over function.

The NB is perfect.

However, IMO the Targa is also form over function, in a purely argumentative way.

So why not combine the two? If you didn't like it, in the future you could also lose the roof and make it into a Speedster.

If you have a shell with no fixed roof, why not enjoy yourself?

Or get coupe rear wings and a roof with no sunroof, and make a focused coupe (probably cheaper in the long run).

But as the car has an Insurance category already, why worry about originality? As we saw with the blue Speedster.

Obviously this is a turbo, but you get the idea...

657591d1345504382-random-993-picture-thread-f937_3.jpg

My main reason not to do it, is weight. The Targa is heavy enough as it is. Now if you could find a way to reduce the weight and keep that ton of glass above your head, that would be ideal, as would being able to run larger wheels and tyres without the roof shattering.

Actually, just finding a way of stopping the roof creaking would get you a Knighthood :grin:

orangecurry said:
The reason I don't get WBs is that it is form over function.

The NB is perfect.

I know this is going slightly off topic, but I do believe that OC is spot on here. To me it's a case of less is more. In the same way that back in the day, I never ordered an SC with the whale tail. It never looked as neat as the vanilla version.
The bit that grates for me with the WB me is the extended sill between the arches, it has the whiff of boy racer about it, in the way that the eighties XR3i had dare I say the Cosworth Merc 2.3-16, which was otherwise a truly great car IMHO.
Just my three pennyworth.
Getting my coat now . . . . :bye:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back