Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991 4S Prices/Depreciation

lostprophet

Hi Folks,

I am a newbie to 911uk!

I am looking for a new car. A new 4S is 88k, most cars have about 10k extras to retailing at 98k. I see 2012 cars are being sold around the 77k mark. Thats about 21% depreciation in the first 3 years. That seems very good!

I guess based on this they wont be at 65k until about 5 years old.

My budget is 60-65k so more realistically I am looking at a 2012 991 S.

Is it worth waiting for the 4S. Any recommendations. What do folks think about the S vs. 4S debate.

Thank you in advance.

Welcome chum :thumb:

I take it you're looking at OPC secondhand prices as there are loads of cars in your budget elsewhere :dont know:

Alexander's have a 991 2S 2011 cost new £94k and up at £62k. Ok it's not a 4 has reasonable miles but it gives you an idea.

:hand: they won't be 21% @3yr depreciation - it's more. Plus OPC have at least £8k trade to retail given the 2yr warranty they put on it.

S/non S personal choice but you get a lot more extras as standard on the S and the absence of the right extras on a Porsche come resale can be a big issue.

Thank you for your reply!

I know little about Porsche cars and even less about buying them. The £77k I quoted was from a search on autotrader. I think they are OPC prices!

It seems like Porsche have a huge mark up.

I am thinking of putting down £25k deposit, then 4 yrs monthly payments with a balloon at the end. A 60k car is about £500pm and a £75k car is about £730pm.

I would prefer to do a £60-65k car to be honest... and for it to be a 4S. I guess I may need to wait!

Many Porsche owners will tell you that the 2S is the purer sports car and nicer to pilot with the rear drive. The 4S is a nicer looking car with the wider rear arches and the red 'strip light' across the back.
You need to remember that the 4S is rear wheel drive for 99% of the time and only moves drive to the front wheels in adverse conditions or for standing launches.
So, being realistic with yourself, much of the time you drive your 911 4S the advantages of the 4WD aren't being utilised anyway.

I personally would find a nice 991 S (probably manual) and go enjoy yourself!
:)

I have a 2 year and a 5 year old so I dont particularly want too much sliding around in the wet. I am coming from a Audi S5. Prior to that I had a Honda S2000 which I enjoyed however found the tail to lively and the lack of grip frustrating. The quattro makes me feel safe in the wet. There is always so much grip. I suppose the 4S will be the same in many ways, but much more fun to drive.

I tested the 997S a few years back. I loved the experience. I will no doubt enjoy the 991. I guess the biggest decision is getting the right car, i.e. the S or the 4S at the right money.

The wait is a pain however it will be worth it to get the right car.

I am not seeing to many 4S about. There is a yellow one available for 70k!

A car at an OPC at £77k retail will have been bought in at around £68k

Most dealership groups work on 10% margin after prep costs (I work within one of UK largest dealer groups).

We have just had three years of phenomenal low deprecation so I would say it's not very typical......and therefore not always a great guide for what might happen going forward.

I bought a brand new C2S in 2005 and sold 12 months later for 13k c17% less

Friend sold his 2 year old 997 gen c2s in 2012, after one years use for £44k (£11k c16% loss in one year)

The same car sold 3 years later....for about the equivalent of £2k, only c4% a year loss)

If it was my money I would try an buy an early c2S, still with warranty either private or from a trusted Indie ...should be done for your budget.

By way of examples, 911 Virgin and RSJ each have a 2S at 61k and 62k respectively.

Coincidentally, had a look round what appears to be cheapest OPC 991 over at Brooklands while dropping my car off there today, a lovely red 2012 non-S at £58k. Next to it was a 2010 997 GTS, just reduced to £56k and a 2014 Boxster GTS at £57k. I wondered which one would be worth the most in 2yrs :?:

Do red 911 have any demand?

Also, how flexible are OPC to negotiations? Reading through some old threads here it appears they dont move on the price?

What are a must optional extras. I read a poorly specced 911 will be difficult to shift when it comes to resale.

Have never been at any OPC that are really open to negotiations on price. Their attitude is limited supply, so another punter offering full price will always come along. Maybe 3% to 5% tops on a used car if you are very lucky and happen to come along at the right time of the month. :nooo:

On spec, and it is personal preference :-
4S, PSE, PDK, Sports Chrono, heated seats, Bose, as much leather in interior as possible, PCM, black/white/silver/grey

You are not going to find a nice spec 4S in at £65k anytime soon.

Find a nice C2S PDK with PSE and Sports chrono.

the S adds PTV and the Sports chrono also adds DEM.

The market is very soft now so its the ideal time to buy, I think the cars on the market now will be 2 or 3 k more in a 3 months.

My one is probably the best spec out there at this price range
http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1138118#1138118

lostprophet said:
I have a 2 year and a 5 year old so I dont particularly want too much sliding around in the wet. I am coming from a Audi S5. Prior to that I had a Honda S2000 which I enjoyed however found the tail to lively and the lack of grip frustrating. The quattro makes me feel safe in the wet. There is always so much grip. I suppose the 4S will be the same in many ways, but much more fun to drive.

I tested the 997S a few years back. I loved the experience. I will no doubt enjoy the 991. I guess the biggest decision is getting the right car, i.e. the S or the 4S at the right money.

The wait is a pain however it will be worth it to get the right car.

I am not seeing to many 4S about. There is a yellow one available for 70k!

If you have your kids in the car with you , you will not likely to be doing anything that will make a 991 ' slide about in the wet'....in fact you will be unlikely to ever make it ' slide about' ...dont believe all you hear about them behaving like that..unless you try to emulate Chris Harris in his test drive mode...

I would think that you would be more than happy with a 2S...they are great cars...and you would never notice the difference if its your first Porsche s
Anyway..

T

+1

You would have to be driving very hard to slide a 991 around, and this is unlikely if you have the 'sprokets' in the back.

Even the 2WD cars are extremely grippy. The most likely scenario you will get in the wet with a 911 is understeer because of the light front end. And even if you push too hard into a corner with a 4S you will still get understeer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back