Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 GT3 Wheel Refurb

Windy101

I am looking to get the wheels on my 997.1 GT3 refurbed. Car is basalt black metalic and the wheels are also black on the outer face. On the inside of the wheel the wheels are however a lighter grey, brushed metal colour. Should I try and get this replicated when they get refurbed or just go all one colour.

If I change to silver what colour should I get the inner part of the wheel done?

Attachments

• wheel_906.jpg
    wheel_906.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 4,204
That's not a factory finish that I've ever seen. Looks like someone has painted the faces of a set of silver wheels hence the silver/grey inside. Probably didn't strip but just painted over.

There are some factory finishes similar like on the non-centrelock GTS models both 997 & latest 991, and some Cayenne Sport Editions. What Porsche do is take a stock silver painted wheel, mask the edge for the silver lip and mask the inside. On the centrelock version where they have a polished lip they just paint the whole wheel black so there is no grey inside. Its a bit of cheat what Porsche do but easy when the wheel is brand new and they can manage inventory better. However you cannot order replacement wheels in that finish!

With a refurb a silver lip is fine to do but to have to mask the inside as well is a real pain and additional cost. Sometimes when are not doing a full set we have to do this.

From a practicality point of view they are not the easiest to clean inside, so I'd strongly recommend you go black all the way through, otherwise you'll always have a dirty looking set of wheels if you have silver inside (unless you had ceramics).

If you go silver then the 'factory' finish, as per we do, is actually grey primer but with a bit of silver overspray coming through the spokes. Going all silver all the way through actually doesn't look 'right'. The reason why teh factory look is like this is down to the fact they are sprayed by robots, and secondly the focus is on the face not the inside, you could compromise the finish otherwise.

The only aspect we vary is that the wheels are lacquered all over whereas most factory rims are not, so new wheels will feel a bit rough to the touch inside. The reason we do this is to make cleaning much easier.

PS not very common to see those old Pirelli Rosso's on a GT3.

Chris W said:
PS not very common to see those old Pirelli Rosso's on a GT3.
Thanks for the info Chris.

The old Rosso's only need to do me a short time till the end of the extended warranty period.

Lepsons are great. Done mine

You can get train from Gillingham Kent back to London quick n leave car there for few days. They are 5 min walk tops to station.

I would go silver on a dark car.

What are a set of these worth?

Been offered a set but not pulled the trigger on them yet.

Chap wants upwards of £3500 :eek:

I am tempted to store them for a year or two as/when they become rarer.

i have a set if anyone is interested. 100% MINT and i mean MINT condition

i think £3k and they are done

oh and i forgot,,,,watch out for WSP replicas. There is an easy way to tell the difference from OEM

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back