Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help! Sunscreen marks on paint!?

toohey

Monza
Does anybody have a magic cure for small child's handprints in sunscreen on the car door?! Im currently away with work and my wife sent me a picture saying look at the marks on your door...... :eek: :frustrated:

Ive tried the search function but didn't get any joy so thought it best to ask the experts.....

Attachments

• img_3565_177.jpg
    img_3565_177.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 9,629
Try in this order:
1) Car shampoo
2) Washing-up liquid (you will need to reseal paint after this, ie polish/wax)
3) White Spirit (which you will need to remove with 1 or 2 and in either case reseal)

Depends on how waxy the sunscreen is (some are just emulsions, in which case you are really just need to rehydrate)

Use as little as possible, gently working on the affected area with a clean/grit free soft microfibre cloth etc

"1) Car shampoo" should do it.

Exactly.

I was wondering why it was such a calamity, or indeed why "Magic" was required (to be honest, my first reaction would be just to wipe it with a damp cloth!)

I had a nasty mayonaise spill on my kitchen floor tiles, any ideas?

:yes:

You may jest but children's sunscreen these days is other-worldly. It is so incredibly waterproof that you just can't wash it off. When we're on holiday and it's time to put it on I've been told I'm no good at it so mum has to do it :D

It takes practice to do something so simple so badly but I seem to have succeeded...

Baby wipes might be worth a try - they clean anything off anything (though I suspect that would require a reaseal to be on the safe side too).

I was aware of the possible issues.

That is why I gave a list of increasingly more "invasive" cleaning methods, dependent on its emulsion vs "waxy" composition.

Without causing offence I was more confused with the sunscreen in November. I can only guess it's for medical reasons.

:dont know:

Avoid direct sunlight so you don't get tan lines :dont know:

The chemicals in some sun creams or lotions can damage or stain your car's lacquer layer, which is designed to protect the paint underneath.

[/img]

I have not failed to research this subject - i have trawled through all kinds of suggestions on line to remove the marks in the hope there would be something simple my other half could do in my absence. The reason indeed that i asked the question in this section was in the hope that elite detailing may have a specific treatment that works to remove the marks.
The sunscreen will have got on there many months ago and won't show for a considerable time - until its too late for any of your witty wash it off with a damp cloth, scourer bo**ox..........

I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else as at the moment it looks like only a respray will cure it...... hence my asking the professionals of elite detailing for help.

Mr GT4 your obviously a professional of a different sort :wall: and i will bear that in mind for future interactions.......

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back