Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Happy with your black painted wheels?

MJA911

Singapore
I'm in discussion with Chris W about a wheel refurb/tyre renewal and have been leaning towards having my Carrera Sports painted Black (leaving the alloy rim). They're currently GT Silver (same colour as the car) see photo below.

I'm looking to have this done in January so have a little time to mull over it yet, but I would appreciate opinions and/or experiences of doing this?

IMG_1313.jpg

I think black wheels on a silver/light coloured car look GREAT :thumb:

Check out Tom's 996T or the Parr turbo in the 996 section.

I will be putting these up for sale over the weekend if you fancy them to try before you decide. Come with winter tyres - Conti's all round.

I love black wheels with a silver rim. Plain black wheels look a bit 'lost' in the arches if that makes any sense...

Agreed with above- the 996 turbo on the Parr website looks really smart with the grey wheels and the silver rim. That's what I'd do to my car were it to need a refurb.

Hmm- you're right. Maybe bodycolour wheels would look better with on a car in a 'colour'. Perhaps black wheels works best with cars in 'tones' like grey/black/silver.

ps- those are very low profile tyres :D

Black wheels only work on certain shapes and I'm not sure if this is one of them. The 996 Turbo twists definitely doesn't work for me!

You could maybe go for a darker grey but full black loses all the nice curves and details in your wheels:
47_166_Black.jpg

pic of my last set:

Also changed the centres to black.

Attachments

• p9190004_485.jpg
    p9190004_485.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 15,243
Thanks for the pics and opinions, really got me thinking now! I like the contrasts of light car, dark wheels and like how the callipers and discs look good through spoked designs when they are black, especially the spyder wheels that most 997 GTS models get. That's the general look I was after.

Shaoxter's point about details of the wheels being lost if they are black has put dark anthracite on the radar, but I keep coming back to the visual impact of the silver body (& black hood helps too I think) with black wheels and the alloy rim to finish it off, it's a very motorsport look to me :?

I had those wheels on my old 911. Had them finished like this

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1144_zps1e4aef6c.jpg

isysman said:

Thanks for that, they look fantastic, did you stay happy with them? Did you think about the different finishes? Reason I ask is I was going int he direct of satin rather than gloss, simply because my door and rear decals are satin and of course the hood is matte and a silver body isn't very glossy either compared to a dark colour ?

^^^ That's really nice!

Also another thing to consider with black wheels is that you should make extra careful to not kerb them!!

I think your car looks stunning with the dark grey / anthracite colour, but its your ride Michael.
if you do go the different colour route, don't paint them, get them powder coated instead. :thumb:

MJA911 said:
isysman said:

Thanks for that, they look fantastic, did you stay happy with them? Did you think about the different finishes? Reason I ask is I was going int he direct of satin rather than gloss, simply because my door and rear decals are satin and of course the hood is matte and a silver body isn't very glossy either compared to a dark colour ?

Yeah I loved them.

Hate to be the 'stick in the mud' but I really like your 4S with the wheels they way they are... Out of interest, were they standard on the 997.2? I thought they were a Gen1 wheel?
Looks great though. One of my all time favourite OEM wheels.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back