Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyre suggestions 265/35/ZR18

robertpaulson

I've just realised that the michelin pilot super sport and conti sport contact 6's aren't available in 265/35/ZR18 (so basically an 18*10 rear wheel), cup 2's aren't an option due to wet road performance - any suggestions for performance road tyres which won't kill me in rain that will fit?

I use Michelin Pilot Sport 3's. Quite impressed after 5000 miles on them so far. Wet weather performance seems good.

I bought them from Tyre Leader, and paid around £130 each.

Wow, very good prices on there.
I don't think you can go wrong with a Michelin PS2 either.

Uniroyal Rainsports are brilliant too.

cheers guys, I'm basically now down to the choice between fitting pilot supersports in 255/40/18 (a slight stretch and 15mm higher radius than ideal) or the ps2's in correct sizes.

Am i missing something obvious thinking that the slight increase in diameter with the supersports will have no real impact on the car other than speedo accuracy and a very fractional increase in downforce from the increased rake?

Bit surprised about the cup2 - have used them thoughout the winter before on 964 and had zero issues - in the pouring rain you need to be a little more careful but frankly that applies to any tyre. But Cup2 warm up very quick and work well in damp surfaces.

I would say I drive the car 10-15% down in the wet compared to dry.

Have driven the 888r as well, but you need just a little more care in the damp until they get to temp.

Running over 3 degrees of camber as well so the car is a handful as well on normal roads.

An alternative would be msp2 which are available if you really wanted a little more reassurance in the wet.

So I would't be straying from the above three choices.

tyreleader do all three of the above btw.

Hope that helps

Ken

i have zero hours on the new cup2's - just going off chatter from 991 gt3 experiences on wet roads and feedback from chris at CoG that their wet road performance is decidedly sketchy.

Supersports i run currently on another car and could not rate them any higher, good life, great feel and very strong grip wet and dry (i think the ps2 is the tyre superseded by the pss?). They make pss 265/35/zr18 in the states but not here sadly, just wanted to ask around if I was missing anything obvious for a performance tyre with wet grip in that size, cheers for the reply

got hold of some new (jan16 launch) pilot sport 4's, seems they are the only modern performance tyre currently produced in 265/35/zr18. will update when i have them on the car

The PS4 is meant to have superceded the PSS and PS2 (if its in your size)

Conti have/are releasing the SC6
Goodyear have the Eagle F1 Asy 3 out

Just as an update, I had my car booked in at Center Gravity yesterday, and we got onto the subject of tyres.

They recommended I go with a 275 Supersport on the rear. 275 specifically as Supersports are available in that size. I think this is what I'll try next. They're coming in at around £175 on Tyre Leader, compared to the £130 for a Pilot Sport 3. I've had them on my M135i before, and was very impressed with the tyre life. I reckon the extra cost will be worth it.

robertpaulson said:
got hold of some new (jan16 launch) pilot sport 4's, seems they are the only modern performance tyre currently produced in 265/35/zr18. will update when i have them on the car

Eagle F1 (AS2) are available in that size... had them on a 996 for about 14 months, can't fault them. Good value.

in a stroke of luck michelin ended up launching pilot sport 4 a few weeks back and some of the small range of launch sizes areperfect fits for zr18 wheels on the 964 (225/40 and 265/35).

I have a few hundred miles on them now and would highly recommend them - much more grip than s02's on d90s, wet grip is shockingly much higher than s02's in the dry...
increased steering feel and a very progressive breakaway, additionally i find them very comfortable - for anyone who experiences a much harder ride on zr18's compared to d90s these manage the strange feat of a more compliant vertical ride than s02s and similar sidewall stiffness on turn in. brilliant

Matt Clay said:
Just as an update, I had my car booked in at Center Gravity yesterday, and we got onto the subject of tyres.

They recommended I go with a 275 Supersport on the rear. 275 specifically as Supersports are available in that size. I think this is what I'll try next. They're coming in at around £175 on Tyre Leader, compared to the £130 for a Pilot Sport 3. I've had them on my M135i before, and was very impressed with the tyre life. I reckon the extra cost will be worth it.

COG are fantastic, best thing I did to my car was going there!

sorry to disappoint, but having looked at this pretty closely myself pss don't come in anything that will fit a 10j wheel using a 35 profile, 245 or 295 are the only sizes.

I have supersports on another car - much heavier and 4wd, so hard to directly compare. would say the ps4 is fairly similar, better wet grip, worse dry grip, i would actually say the turn in is similar (ps4 is more of a comfort tyre from what i can understand at michelin) because the sidewall appears to have quite a bit of vertical compliance but a decently stiff resistance to cornering forces. the grip on any of the modern performance michelin tyres is unreal so saying worse dry grip for ps4 vs pss is not saying much.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back