Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Retro fitting rear parking camera and electric wing mirrors?

Zanderman

Hi All,

Is is possible to retro fit rear parking camera and electric wing mirrors into a 991?

I have been told by my local OPC that you cant and that may well be the case but thought I would ask people who didn't sell Porches!

Thanks!!

Have tried my local OPC several times about upgrading to a rear view camera (already have front and rear parking sensors on the car). They have always said a firm NO, but will be first to notify me if/when the camera option should become available through Tequipment. Would mean a new bumper cover, camera, wiring, reprogramming and possible electronic interface box. So reckon, if eventually possible, £1000-£1500. :nooo:

Sorry, but on motorising the mirrors, have no information at all.

Realize this thread is a bit old now, but for those interested yes, you CAN retrofit a rear / reversing camera to your 991... I posted a DIY article on other forums and you can read the entire instructions on my blog: http://plenums.blogspot.com/2014/12/diy-2014-porsche-991-911-rear-view.html

In 2 parts I provide detailed instructions, with pictures, of a custom install on my 2014 991 C4S. I don't use OEM parts, and the dealers won't do the install because they don't have "official" retrofit Work Manuals from factory to do so. The solution I installed integrates perfectly with the 991 PCM 3.1 unit, WITHOUT opening or modifying the kit.

Check out the blog post. I'll prob post a YouTube vid on the install sometime soon....

Cheers!

Welcome to the Forum and a brilliant write-up. :thumb:

Unfortunately in the UK such a modification would invalidate the Porsche warranty, but nevertheless, congratulations on a first class job. :worship:

DRZ911 said:
Welcome to the Forum and a brilliant write-up. :thumb:

Unfortunately in the UK such a modification would invalidate the Porsche warranty, but nevertheless, congratulations on a first class job. :worship:

Hmm... interesting! Thank you for pointing that fact out. I had assumed (wrongly of course) that any modification made which doesn't open the PCM and is completely reversible (ok, so the only sticking point might be the small hole in the rear bumper cover....) wouldn't void any warranty claim.... Might be like saying the warranty is void because you installed aftermarket wheels, or window tint, wouldn't it? Are the laws that strict? :? Bummer for new p-car owners if so....

Unfortunately, Porsche UK are indeed sticklers at applying warranty rules - aftermarket wheels would certainly cause a problem, non N-rated tyres are a no-no and anything that connects into the electrical architecture of car would be frowned upon. :sad:

It is almost like they need to find the smallest excuse and they will walk away from a warranty claim irrespective of whether the modification is directly connected with the failure or not.

Have read some of your other blogs on the 991 and they are top stuff. Keep it up. :lol:

Thanks for posting! In the end I will just have to live with it or get a new car I think............

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back