Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 GT3 Market Saturation

ColinR

Is it just me, or is the market awash with 996 GT3's? I counted over 20 on PH, is it people cashing in or is there a panic before an expected fall?

Eitherway, if you are thinking selling, can only push the price down, reversing the trend for the past year or so. Could prices get back to 2012 levels ?

:?

I was thinking exactly this. Surely lots of speculators, i'm sure some of the market watchers can tell us how long some have been on sale for or if they are moving.

In 5 years time the price of a good 996 GT3 clubsport and a 991 GT3 will of overlapped.I know what I would rather sink money into right now.

Same discussion happens every year (not intend as a criticism of the OP)

It's seasonal, happens around this time of year every year

GT3 / trackday season is pretty much over

Expect stock to start drying up again around Spring as trackday season starts kicking in

Roro, perhaps it is a seasonal thing but I bought my 996.2 GT3 last Oct when it was the only one on the market, and up until the Spring, hardly any came up for sale.

RPM have dropped the price on their Mk1 996 GT3 by nearly £10K and other leading indie's have had stock hanging around for several months.

I suppose the test will be next spring when the track season kicks off again and cars are bought. At the moment, with so many cars for sale, to me its looks like a buyers market so perhaps some bargains to be had?

All good points, but it's always going to come down to supply and demand at the end of the day. Not sure about 'bargains' to be had as supply of these cars will always be scarce, but of course if someone is desperate to sell they may take a lower offer. Also remember a lot of these cars change hands before being advertised so your car may well have not been the only one on the market, just the only one you were able to find at the time given your budget / location / etc

Loads of them all of a sudden. Hmm,

I have to admit the gen 1 996 front end looks really work for me.

Owners attempting to cash-in I would say. 4-5 years ago a 996.2 GT3 could be had for £39,995 from most dealers (who said that dealers rig the market......) so if an owner sees a car up for £65,000 they might be tempted to sell (I would !!).
Due to the perceived value I doubt if many owners track their GT3's these days so I no longer believe in 'the time of year' for this model type.
Supply and demand will push the prices down. Look at the recent glut of 991 GT3's for sale and the corresponding price reductions. I can see a lot of dealers getting their fingers burnt when they paid the going rate and added £10,000+ on top for resale.
There is almost a price overlap between the 996.1 , 996.2 and 997.1 GT3 . The only 997.1 GT3's selling at the moment are the sub £70,000 cars. A lot of dealers have been sitting on stock for months including JZM (probably SOR) and 911 Virgin..........

Could there be an element of 'shaking the tree'?

E.g. advertise a GT3 for x (insert suitably exorbitant price). Prospective customer calls, sensing the market's on the rise... "sorry, that car is literally just sold, we might be getting another in, we'll call you".

GT3 owner looks at ad... wow, nice price, "Hello, I have a GT3 which you might be interested in". "Sounds good, let me take the details and we'll get back to you"...

(rings the first customer) "Hello, we have a GT3 available that might meet your requirements..."

Hey presto, risk free sale!

Roadrunner996 said:
The only 997.1 GT3's selling at the moment are the sub £70,000 cars. A lot of dealers have been sitting on stock for months including JZM (probably SOR) and 911 Virgin..........

911v have marked two 997.1 GT3's as sold this very weekend.A comfort that was priced in the 70k plus bracket and a Clubsport which has seemingly been pre-sold with no price shown.I know of a another fellow group member that has bought a 997.1 GT3 comfort from an OPC and collected at the weekend and this was priced in the mid to late 70k price bracket. :thumb:

I think this time of year is significant not so much because it's the end of the season (as commented above, there are not nearly so many owners campaigning GT3s these days) but more because it's the time when many are laid up for 6 months & people naturally pause to consider if they've had their fun & perhaps fancy something else.

There may be an element of profiteering by owners (particularly on the SOR stock at dealers) but historically demand has always outstripped supply & I suspect these cars are generally fairly priced. The 997.1 is a different beast & is a much nicer road car than the 996 with its plusher & more modern interior. I suspect that the 996 is now appealing to a more hardcore audience who want a raw race car for the road; these buyers will be generally more clued up and aware of what to look for. The devil is in the detail & some cars might be hiding the need for a costly refresh, hence they hang about.

No mention of the 996 RS's here and I see very few of those in the for sale listings :?: :driving:

I think the market for GT cars has slowed considerably, but then, as others have said, we are entering the winter break period for these cars.

There are only 4 or so 997.2 GT3's on PH right now (quite a few 997.2 GT3 RS's though), and all of these are ones that have been on the market a little while. In all honestly, I think some of the heat is coming out of the market. Prices seem to be settling a little and I'm not sure we will see the price growth continue at the rate we've seen in the past. Price growth, yes, but not at the rate of the last 3 years.

Ultimately, it's the rare models that will hold the most interest for the market in the longer-term. I'm still shocked at what a 1973 RS will sell for....

Still strong demand

I was offered the below for c£70k, I thought it was very expensive however it was bought by a trader in the end for the same price.

Gen 2 GT3 - 996 (2006) , club sport, mid 20k miles

vroomvroom said:
Still strong demand

I was offered the below for c£70k, I thought it was very expensive however it was bought by a trader in the end for the same price.

Gen 2 GT3 - 996 (2006) , club sport, mid 20k miles
:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back