Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I upgraded from a 997 to a 991 - first impressions

teaboy

Last week I changed from a manual 997 C4S to a PDK 991 GTS 4 - both were coupe's.

I thought I'd post my first impressions of the new car having moved from an earlier generation 911.

So far it's all positive and I can't believe the difference between the two cars - the 997 I loved - but after a test drive in the 991 the 997 felt pre-historic.

The PDK is amazing too and in Sport mode I love the downshift each time I approach a roundabout or junction.

So far I'm yet to find something I don't like although right now I haven't found a way of getting AUX BT and my iPod to work at the same time.

Pictures ....Pictures ....pictures ????

:useless: :grin:

Interesting and congrats by the way.

I've driven the 991 back to back with my car, and although I was very impressed with it and the speed (was a GTS coupe). When I got back in my car it didn't feel old to me. The interior maybe, but not the drive. You've had much more experience than me no doubt. However I'm glad I feel this way anyway as I wouldn't want to feel like my car was old.

I understand what you mean i was given a 2015 boxster this month as a coutesey car when my turbo was getting a service at OPC.

The interior on the newer car does make mine prehistoric in that sense but then it made me realise the 997 is just about driving it has a very strong connection and layout to older generations so in essence it has the pure porsche feeling that doesnt feel compromised (massively) by the modern tech that has to be fitted to the modern cars.

Mine is a daily driver so All the modern looks and led lights i would prefer but i quite like the 'raw' feel of my 997.

Honda used to be like that with the 'TypeR' products then the FN2 civic came along and ruined what the TypeR side of it stood for.

J :thumb:

P.S Please get some pics up i cant wait to see them

Interesting post.

I love my 997 but two nights ago I started to look at 991 Turbo S's for sale and the prices. :dont know:

I'd hate to go for a test drive though just in case my affection wandering was confirmed.

M9JOC said:
I understand what you mean i was given a 2015 boxster this month as a coutesey car when my turbo was getting a service at OPC.

The interior on the newer car does make mine prehistoric in that sense but then it made me realise the 997 is just about driving it has a very strong connection and layout to older generations so in essence it has the pure porsche feeling that doesnt feel compromised (massively) by the modern tech that has to be fitted to the modern cars.

Mine is a daily driver so All the modern looks and led lights i would prefer but i quite like the 'raw' feel of my 997.

Honda used to be like that with the 'TypeR' products then the FN2 civic came along and ruined what the TypeR side of it stood for.

J :thumb:

P.S Please get some pics up i cant wait to see them

I am so pleased you used the word 'raw' - it's exactly how my early 997 feels after driving a 991. I've driven several miles in a couple of 991 Carrera S cars and have flirted briefly with a 991 turbo S. The Carrera's feel very accomplished, fast and smooth. But they don't leave me wanting to poke around behind the sofa to find some cash to buy one...

However, congratulations OP - I enjoy your new 911.

Picture as requested

Attachments

• img_2361_222.jpg
    img_2361_222.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 8,028
:worship:

Lovely looking motor . Price to change out of my league currently ... One day :?:

Firstly, many congratulations on your new car. :lol:

Also went from a 997 to a 991. For me, the way I thought about it was that the 997 was like my first child and the 991 was like my second child which came along 5 years later. One is much newer than the other, each has their own ways, but love them both. Same for the 997 and 991, with Porsche 911 DNA pulsing through the veins of each car, how is it not possible to love them both? :D

Interesting post. I have spent considerable time in both the 997 and the 991 and I must say they are both great Porsches.
I think your preference would really depend on you reference point. I owned a 1978 911SC previously to my 997.2 and of late have driven a few 991's of various configurations.
I think the 997 will appeal more to the traditionalist who wants the 'raw' feel of an older 911. And I think the 991 will appeal to the well-healed techno junkie who loves the latest-and-greatest of things...
I'm seeing the 997 as the departure point of the 'analogue' era and the 991 as the launchpad of the 'digital' 911.

Disagree away, but only time will tell :)

I did 8000 miles in my 991 GTS-
when starting the car it always took a minute or two for the Aux BT system to finally engage the iPhone....it always did eventually but it was a bit annoying at times waiting.....

I found the 991 GTS a simply awesome machine- fantastic performance.
The only negative for me was the firm ride on bumpy B roads- on smooth German roads it's sublime-on Fen roads in Cambridgeshire it's bloody awful....
the 993 ride is far more forgiving on your lower back when on crap B roads. You can't have it all I suppose- the 991 GTS corners like it's on rails.

To the OP- love the glass roof- your car looks wicked.....

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Awesome looking car and congrats!

The 991 GTS is the one 911 which makes me think about a change, especislly after attending the GTS experience.

Loved the performance and drive, but not convinced with the new interior, the price to change and a niggle that holding onto my 997 would be a wise decision...

Enjoy! :worship:

Congrats! GTS4 is an awesome bit of kit. I was lent one whilst my C4S was with the dealer and I so nearly PXed... and that was for a lowish spec GTS4 having held out for a factory build on a C4S so I could get my perfect spec!!! A quick drive in a GTS4 and I was smitten and all logic nearly went out of the window! Had I not been so annoyed with the dealer I may well have done the deal, but I was loathed to give them any more of my cash!

Re: your audio query - someone will no doubt be along to correct me, but I've never managed to get my iPod and BT Aux connected at the same time. I think it's one or the other...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back