Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 4S or 997 4S??

Gfoxsteve

Just in the process of deciding which to buy, a good 996 is now within a few thousand of an early 997. Any thoughts on which one I should go for. I'll be using it as a 3rd car for sunny days out.

Thanks

Hmm. Interesting one, went through the same dilemma myself. Ended up going with a 996 because the styling edges it for me- looks distinct from the rest of the 996 range with its wide rear reflector.

Also, whilst a few cm wider, the 997 4S is more of a 4WD 2S, where the 996 4S seems truer to the old 'turbo body' lineage of the Supersport, 964 anniversary, 993 S/4S.

997 4S has lots of extra geegaws though, like PASM, more sophisticated interior bits and bobs and nice extras like Sport Chrono.

The 997 S has extra horses- 355 vs 320- and is faster.

The 996 will feel more 'classic' (or old, depending on your viewpoint!) which might fit the bill for highdays and holidays.

Drive both, see what you think.

Got to be the 997 4s, it is better and faster in every way. Don't even think about it.

:thumbs:

For me, the 996 4S looks special, very different to the cooking models,the 997 4S looks like all the other 997's. So what if it has a handful more bhp. You ideally need to see both ,and try them and one of them will press your buttons. In summary, the 996 4S looks amazing, the 997 4S doesn't. There, made it easy for you. :D

You should get a 997 C4S.

They are proven to be 128% better than 996's, ladies are more attracted to them and they will make you look like a man who has style, charisma and panache rolled into one. Even rival boss Enzo Ferrari in 1989 famously once said "the 997 is a real drivers car compared to the 996".

In a small study of Porsche owners by the Ministry of Transport, 54% of 996 owners also had smaller wieners.

Steve - alternatively, some of us on here maybe biased (not me), so I think you need to decide which you prefer 'looks wise' first. If you don't have a preference or if cash rules before your heart, then drive them both. There are plenty of dealers out there who would be willing to let you have a drive in both.

You can then work out whether the extra, in some cases, is worth shelling out for.

Remember to buy on condition rather than age / mileage - full service history is a must IMHO - newer isn't always better if the car hasn't been maintained as it should've been.

DerbyJim said:
You should get a 997 C4S.

They are proven to be 128% better than 996's, ladies are more attracted to them and they will make you look like a man who has style, charisma and panache rolled into one. Even rival boss Enzo Ferrari in 1989 famously once said "the 997 is a real drivers car compared to the 996".

In a small study of Porsche owners by the Ministry of Transport, 54% of 996 owners also had smaller wieners.

Steve - alternatively, some of us on here maybe biased (not me), so I think you need to decide which you prefer 'looks wise' first. If you don't have a preference or if cash rules before your heart, then drive them both. There are plenty of dealers out there who would be willing to let you have a drive in both.

You can then work out whether the extra, in some cases, is worth shelling out for.

Remember to buy on condition rather than age / mileage - full service history is a must IMHO - newer isn't always better if the car hasn't been maintained as it should've been.

Steve, please don't listen to this man. He's a known fraudster who will start PM'ing you with advice on 'getting rich quick schemes'. Don't let him dazzle you with his insight. I'm still paying for the upkeep of an Angoran goat ranch in Ecuador based on this man's silk tongued promises about the 'cast iron mohair revival in LA' :nooo:

996 C4S was my choice. Love the 'turbo look' cars.

997 4S is too bland.

But would love a 997 GTS.

New996buyer said:
Steve, please don't listen to this man. He's a known fraudster who will start PM'ing you with advice on 'getting rich quick schemes'. Don't let him dazzle you with his insight. I'm still paying for the upkeep of an Angoran goat ranch in Ecuador based on this man's silk tongued promises about the 'cast iron mohair revival in LA' :nooo:

Were you not pleased with the introductory offer of limited edition gen-u-iine mohair coat? Honestly, it suits you...

Btw, you're late with this month's instalment.

image_zpsajbwot1z.jpeg

DerbyJim said:
New996buyer said:

Were you not pleased with the introductory offer of limited edition gen-u-iine mohair coat? Honestly, it suits you...

Btw, you're late with this month's instalment.

See what I mean Steve-o!! The man's a charlatan. A crook I tell you.

The moral of the story?

NEVER trust a New997C4Sbuyer, only ever believe a New996buyer :angel:

Shurv said:
For me, the 996 4S looks special, very different to the cooking models,the 997 4S looks like all the other 997's. So what if it has a handful more bhp. You ideally need to see both ,and try them and one of them will press your buttons. In summary, the 996 4S looks amazing, the 997 4S doesn't. There, made it easy for you. :D

My thought exactly. :D

The 997 4S couldn't really be called 'bland' in my view.....

The 996 4S front end , read the headlights and lower spoiler air intakes are not the most stylish, in my view.....so I would vote for the 997 4S....it's a more complete design with no parts of the bodywork which don't look out of place.....
The bodywork curves accentuate the curves of the rear of the car...

There were a few known glitches on early 997's but nothing major at all.....

Its a no brainier for me ......

(AlThough I do like the 996 )

Terry

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back