Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Avoiding wet door cards

ras62

Hockenheim
A couple of tips learnt when replacing the waterproof door membrane. What to do about the speaker and door release both of which require holes to be made in the membrane?
First thing is to make sure the outer window felts are ok (invisible unless the window is fully lowered as they fit under the outer rubber) as these stop water gushing down the window and into the door. Same idea as the sunroof felt. This water has a tendency to run down into the door and fall onto the door release mechanism and the speaker cover. Both can lead to water damage of the door card.
The solution is to make internal flaps out of the plastic membrane when cutting the access holes. The flaps go over the speaker cover and release arm inside the door cavity to defect any falling water which then falls harmlessly into the bottom of the door and eventually out through the numerous drain holes. Simple but effective, and exactly how Porsche did it originally.

I wrapped the back of the speakers in plastic bags , i also coated the back of the new door cards with several layers of pva , the original door cards had completely rotted along the bottom edge, I replaced the outer window seals too.

Bet you used bags from sainsburys :puh:

I must check for these felt things, I don't recall seeing them befor?

The normal size speakers should have a black cover or box behind them, larger speakers will require some sort of improvised cover. The outer window rubbers and felts are two separate items, items 2 & 6 on the PET. Felts are very hard to see unless the glass is down. All that was left of mine were some rusty old fasteners :eek:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back