Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which car should my girlfriend lease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alcarmichael

My girlfriend has just accepted a new job offer. The new job involves lots of motorway miles, I guess she'll be doing over 20k a year. I suggested it'd be a good idea for the company to provide her with a car rather than give her an allowance, which is what she's had in current and previous jobs. The company have agreed to this so now she needs a wish list of cars.

Something like a medium to large BMW/Audi would be ideal for this purpose however she's dreadful at parking, also parking spaces where we live are a premium. Please, suggest away....

She's quite keen on SLK's.

Tesla!

- 5% BIK
- self parking
- 3.1 secs to 60.

8)

Seriously now, Jaguar XE would get my vote.

3 series would be ideal, the more you spend the faster it gets.
Oh and it has a park assist option btw and reversing camera etc

I was under the impression that car allowance was the better choice over a company car due to getting slugged on FBT.
I've always been a fan of BYO car/phone/laptop/etc to new jobs and expensive it all back. I've got to live with them at the end of the day.

Audi A3 - options for 3 or 5 door, top quality interior for long motorway trips and can spec up to whatever your budget will allow. We are on our third as general family workhorse (bought with our own money, not a company car) clocking around 20k a year and keeping for 5 years, never any major problems. Can even go 4WD if you fancy. Ours is 2.0TDI and plenty fast enough although the RS3 does have it's attractions!! Servicing at main dealer can be a bit pricey though to be fair.
Cheers

FZP said:
I was under the impression that car allowance was the better choice over a company car due to getting slugged on FBT.
I've always been a fan of BYO car/phone/laptop/etc to new jobs and expensive it all back. I've got to live with them at the end of the day.

I'm not sure. Neither of us have had a company car before. Problem is in current job she gets 5.5k allowance but that only equates to around 3k after tax. As she'd be going from around 2k miles a year to 20-25 I thought if they were to lease one for her that'd be the best option?

alcarmichael said:
FZP said:

I'm not sure. Neither of us have had a company car before. Problem is in current job she gets 5.5k allowance but that only equates to around 3k after tax. As she'd be going from around 2k miles a year to 20-25 I thought if they were to lease one for her that'd be the best option?
I'd have a chat with your accountant in that case. I vaguely remember it being a consideration when I moved here the first time.

alcarmichael said:
Problem is in current job she gets 5.5k allowance but that only equates to around 3k after tax.

Surely you would spend more then £3k in tyres/maintenance/servicing/extra cost of Insurance/refurbing kerbed alloys/fixing broken wing mirrors/stone chips/etc each year alone.

Or get one of them Peugeot things Just add fuel

Firstly if be teaching her to park properly.

Secondly remember with a company car you need to reimburse your employer for any private mileage incurred (a token amount but needs to be paid to avoid the fuel levy on the P11D.

Better to go for a petrol if she gets a choice.

Dream911 said:
Firstly if be teaching her to park properly.

Secondly remember with a company car you need to reimburse your employer for any private mileage incurred (a token amount but needs to be paid to avoid the fuel levy on the P11D.

Better to go for a petrol if she gets a choice.

Talk to an accountant. It might not be worth it and the current tax regime really restricts the type of car you can go for. It really is getting very marginal.

Theres a couple of ways to approach this.

My wife had a company car for 3 years. Her company basically decided what "allowance" they would give her towards a car, I think her allowance was about £450 a month. They then gave her a long list of cars and what they cost per month via their leasing company. She could pick something for more than £450 but would have to pay the difference herself. In the end she picked a Nissan Juke as they had just been released back then. We did something like 80k miles in 3 years in it as she was doing no end of driving. Returned 56mpg, was quite easy to park and after you got over the "its a frog" looks, it was quite a fun car. If I recall she had to pay £70 a month in tax for having a company car perk.

As it was a company car, thats all we paid. Tyres, servicing, RAC cover, even Insurance was all included. We had a boost pipe split on it which some how destroyed the dpf etc. They fixed it all for free. Had it been our own car that would have been a hefty bill.

Her company then decided to change their car scheme, so rather than they lease the car for you, they just give you the cash & you do what you want with it. Personally I would have bought a £2000 car and then pocketed the £450 a month, but the wife wanted a new car. So she then bought a brand new Ford Edge on PCP which is about £350 a month. But as its now her car, we are liable for all servicing, tyres, RAC and Insurance etc. So its costing us a lot more each month, not to mention the cost of depreciation of the car.

Car choice wise, personally id go for a 2 series diesel. I had a 123d coupe for 4 years and it was a lovely car to drive. I did 66k in it. My mate had a 118d and did 120k in 4 years in it, and was getting 60mpg out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back