Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Winter lay-up routine, night night

Richard964

Hi,
So as the weather gets worst and winter arrives, I will get less and less opportunity to drive my 964. It will be spending the winter months in a garage, wrapped in its cover plugged into a trickle charger. My question is should I be doing anything else?
How long should I leave it before it causes me issues. Roll it out every two weeks?
As this is my first year any top tips would be welcome.

Many thanks

Put some extra pressure in the tyres to stop them flat spotting and remove the DME relay spinning the engine up to oil pressure every month or so to keep it all 'free'. Some people push them back and forwards but I personally don't have enough room in my tiny garage!

Spotted my first grit lorry this weekend, car now tucked away.......

ColinC said:
Put some extra pressure in the tyres to stop them flat spotting and remove the DME relay spinning the engine up to oil pressure every month or so to keep it all 'free'. Some people push them back and forwards but I personally don't have enough room in my tiny garage!

Spotted my first grit lorry this weekend, car now tucked away.......

Thanks Colin, so it shouldn't be to problematic to leave for 4wks at a time? A friend of mine put a Vw Corrado in his garage one winter and it's never been the same again. I've had him in my ear going on about static wear, think he's secretly got to me 😂

Nah.....most of the 993's on here never move!

the 'belt and braces approach' seems to be a carcoon veloce (i.e something with a frame and airflow) and a dessicant dehumdifier. if you are concerned about corrosion then the above should be your best bet at controlling moisture from ambient air temperature changes.

This is what I plan on doing:

- oil change to ensure no contaminants in the oil over the storage
- up the tyre pressures
- wash
- wax
- windows and frunk slightly open
- dehumidifiers in the cabin and the frunk
- fuel tank half full
- fuel preservant in the fuel
- clean and treat leather (Leather Master)
- car cover on
- check monthly
- connect battery charger
- disconnect/reconnect battery charger on each checkup

On the tyre pressure thing, I actually have cheapo wheels & tyres that I use for winter storage and on those I will up the pressures. The "proper" wheels & tyres are stored horizontally in cloth (breathable) bags in the same warm (and dry) garage as the car.

-Teme- said:
This is what I plan on doing:

- oil change to ensure no contaminants in the oil over the storage
- up the tyre pressures
- wash
- wax
- windows and frunk slightly open
- dehumidifiers in the cabin and the frunk
- fuel tank half full
- fuel preservant in the fuel
- clean and treat leather (Leather Master)
- car cover on
- check monthly
- connect battery charger
- disconnect/reconnect battery charger on each checkup

On the tyre pressure thing, I actually have cheapo wheels & tyres that I use for winter storage and on those I will up the pressures. The "proper" wheels & tyres are stored horizontally in cloth (breathable) bags in the same warm (and dry) garage as the car.

Wow that's a plan!
Great post thanks, I've not lucky enough to have two sets of wheels but have the battery charger, covers & dehumidifies all set up and ready to go.

Make sure your garage is relatively well sealed otherwise running the dehumidifier will at best just be expensive, at worst you are trying to dehumidify the world.

Also not sure that running one in the frunk and cabin will achieve that much, the primary point should be to reduce the dew point by lowering RH% in the air around the car, this means that when temperature drops dew will not form on the car body and start corrosion (and unless you deal with that then a cover could possibly just trap moisture against the body).

One more point, make sure its a dessicant rather than refrigerant dehumidifier otherwise it will just freeze or spend all its time defrosting when the temperature drops in the winter.

Richard964 said:
I've not lucky enough to have two sets of wheels

A set of wheels in poor condition with almost bald tyres can be had for less than half the cost of proper new tyres. So it is not necessarily a huge investment. But of course you have to store them somewhere as well.

robertpaulson said:
Make sure your garage is relatively well sealed otherwise running the dehumidifier will at best just be expensive, at worst you are trying to dehumidify the world.

Also not sure that running one in the frunk and cabin will achieve that much, the primary point should be to reduce the dew point by lowering RH% in the air around the car, this means that when temperature drops dew will not form on the car body and start corrosion (and unless you deal with that then a cover could possibly just trap moisture against the body).

One more point, make sure its a dessicant rather than refrigerant dehumidifier otherwise it will just freeze or spend all its time defrosting when the temperature drops in the winter.

A fair point. English is not my first language, so I am sure I could have been more clear. Anyway, when I said dehumidifier I actually meant dessicant - a word I had to look up :)

Also, the garage is of stable temp at around 15 degrees Celsius throughout the winter, so dew should not be an issue.

Furthermore, the car cover is fully breathable and shouldn't trap any moisture (it's there more to protect from dust). Could have been more clear on that one, too...

Car is now stowed away for winter. One clarification to my earlier list, however. If the frunk is left slightly open, the interior and frunk lights stay on. Hence I actually closed it. But all other points covered and now eagerly waiting for the spring :)

161737811.at3bAREe.jpg

When I'm on trickle charge I keep the frunk ajar but actually close the catch mechanism by hand which tricks the circuit into thinking its shut and turns off the light :thumb:

Zingari said:
When I'm on trickle charge I keep the frunk ajar but actually close the catch mechanism by hand which tricks the circuit into thinking its shut and turns off the light :thumb:
this :)

Just rememeber to pull the bonnet release handle to 'open' the mechanism before closing the bonnet before you go for a drive

.. personally I think its best to keep a car active during winter .. not every day or every week, but at least a good proper run on those days when the roads are dry and the salt dust isn't going to stick ... follow this with a good wash off, dry the brakes etc & put away again. Trickle charger is a must.

Hi guys

Just a quick one on winter lay up.

When we say stick some extra wind in the tyres to save flats what would we be speaking about in extra pressure. 5psi 10psi extra.

Don't want to blow them up literally :dont know:

S A Watt said:
Hi guys

Just a quick one on winter lay up.

When we say stick some extra wind in the tyres to save flats what would we be speaking about in extra pressure. 5psi 10psi extra.

Don't want to blow them up literally :dont know:

+25% of the standard is recommended.
Thats what I went with.

charging options

- I dont use my car as much during the winter and I dread the "zzz" of f lat battery- any reccomendations what to use - ive heard that a solar trcikle charge is a good option, however i will probably by a booster pack - anyone have any recommendations or better ideas?

cheers

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back