Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

impeller fan touching

jlee

Monza
Folks,

appears my impeller fan is sometimes hitting the shroud and makes a squealing sound sometimes.

Questions:

1. what is causing this?

2. is it a tensioning problem and easy fix of some bearings / alignment

3. The fan and shorud are exposed to air now coating is off. are they compromoised for corrsosion of these alloy / magnesium parts.

Not sure what they are made of but read they were magneium and dont take kindly to air once exposed. Can i powder coat and save them ?

Attachments

• img_8267_117.jpg
    img_8267_117.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 5,836
  • img_8268_762.jpg
    img_8268_762.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 5,836
That doesn't look good to me. Looks like the tension on the belts is pulling the fan down. I would guess this is play in the nose bearing. It needs looking at ASAP! I have seen the devistation when a fan lets go :eek:
I would also check the blades for cracks whilst apart as they have been touching the shroud. If they look fine you can paint/ powder coat as part of the project. :thumb:

Bearing is a simple fix with the right tools and can be obtained from OPC :thumb:

This DIY is about changing belts on a 993 but same principles: http://p-car.com/diy/vbelt/

Try pressing the fan blades in at various points to see if there is any 'rocking' on the central shaft as this is usually a sign of bearing wear. As Chief says sort it asap if the blades break, off devastation and the magnesium fan aint cheap.

Get it out and paint to taste :grin:

Hi, totally agree with the above advice, though free play in the bearing might not be obviously felt until the the tension is released from the belts, Personally I wouldn't start the engine until the problem is fixed. Bearing replacement shouldn't be too costly, fan destruction because of contact with the shroud would cost a lot more.

thanks folks.

How much is the bearing and sort of hours labour cost for this job?

jlee said:
thanks folks.

How much is the bearing and sort of hours labour cost for this job?

I think it's c£10 (give OPC a call) and most likley an hours labour but you'll want to powder coat the fan so probably best if you can arrange for this to be done at the same time :thumb:

L1000989_zps16baa14f.jpg

P1000648_zpsccda436a.jpg

This is the bearing I needed but some say there is another type :dont know: Mine had to be couriered from Stuttgart :what:

P3210019_zps1e4c04a7.jpg

Whilst you are in there change the voltage regulator at the back of the alternator. Cheapest I found was from Fraser parts.

g60pops said:
Whilst you are in there change the voltage regulator at the back of the alternator. Cheapest I found was from Fraser parts.

Indeed. I did exactly that and got it from them :thumb:

-Teme- said:
A genuine Porsche part is £100+: http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod10939/Alternator-Bearing-Fan-Blade-Porsche-964---993-96410605130/

My OPC quoted 2 hours labour. Change the belts as well since they are cheap.

Ah yes that's the 'full' part. Obviously the bit I had is the insert which can be sourced quite cheap. In fact the 'bearing' issue started two days before I was due to drive to Spa and I couldn't get the part quick enough so the track day was canned. I then found out that 9M had plenty of them in their workshop and they could have helped me out being only 20mins away :pc:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back