Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie- help 996 turbo- inspection- Birmingham area

Jeff Deakin

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and looking to purchase a 996 turbo in the next few months, I have seen one on a web site in Birmingham and would like the car checked before purchase. Any advice? I have always checked my previous cars myself before purchase but this will be my 1st Porsche and reading the forum it seems that this is a must? Any advice would be greatly received. I have always wanted a 911 and now I'm in a position to purchase. I live in the South Wales area.
Many thanks
Jeff.

Welcome, and best of luck with the hunt! I like you have always carried out the inspection myself and decided upon purchase, with the Porsche I put a deposit down on the basis that a 111 point check by Porsche be carried out and any advisories fixed. Worthwhile as I ended up with new radiators on the front and money off due to a faulty clutch accumulator (which I switched myself).

They did miss a few bits which were picked up by my local OPC on its next service, so not perfect!

You have a choice:
OPC 111 point inspection at OPC Sutton Coldfield (North B'ham) and OPC Solihull (SE B'ham).

One Indy that does get a mention on this forum is PCT, though I've never used them and know nothing about them.

Good luck.

Thanks for the response guys, will post up the ad later when I get home.

Looks nice & tidy, and a very decent price for a manual with that mileage. The modifications are certainly a bonus if the 'tinkered' with cars don't put you off (like some). I would check the spoiler is operational and someone hasn't skimped on the locking kit (which locks it in the upward position). To fix the spoiler mechanism properly can cost in excess of £1000.

Seems well worth a visit.

Or if you can't go yourself, send him down to Porsche for the 111 point check.

...thinking about it, I might just go take a look myself :oops:

JOKING!!!!! If I was in the market then i'd go for this one.

I'm hoping so, I'm not averse to a bit of tinkering as long as looks are retained ect. I have asked the owner to send a few more pics with better definition.
I find this is the hardest part of buying a car, you know what you want, see something that's ticking boxes but now just got to keep it together and not let your head and heart run off without checking it properly.

Jeff Deakin said:
I find this is the hardest part of buying a car, you know what you want, see something that's ticking boxes but now just got to keep it together and not let your head and heart run off without checking it properly.

Damn right.

This is why you need to take someone with you.

Ask on the forum if someone will come with you, I would if I was local. I am sure others would too.

Did OP buy this car? What was the outcome of a PPI and who carried it out?

No I didn't buy the car following inspection by OPC Birmingham. I fell in love with the car and off we went for inspection, some serious issues were found and I walked away gutted. The guy took the car off the market and was having the work rectified, he appeared to be as shocked as me.
I looked at another after this one and decided to walk away again due to how the car was driven on the test by the owner- absolutely bonkers....
I eventually found a black one that ticked my boxes and went for inspection at OPC Hatfield, few little bits as to be expected and a deal was done- one happy new owner :thumb:

I bet you're glad you had the car inspected!
What was it that came as such a shock to the owner and you?

I've always maintained you need to get these cars on a ramp and stand underneath ti have a good look all-round and never ever judge these cars shiny side up. But that's me, and I'm not wanting to hear stories how people bought the first car they saw then and there bought it and it has been trouble free.

Yes I am glad I got it inspected. I have always checked my own cars prior to purchase but this is different. Noise that I thought was normal wasn't and noise I was cautious of was......
Don't really want to go into the faults on the 1st car on here as the guy was genuinely shocked as well and took the car off the market to get the work required carried out and was planning to sell when repaired so don't want to scare monger ect. I was gutted mind but really happy with what I bought. Saying that the side lights stopped working the following day on the switch which I reckon is just the switch but haven't looked yet. I have top mounts to replace and a rear spoiler to fix and a few other bits I want to replace at the same time as the top mounts but haven't really had a lot of spare time since purchase.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back