Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Grrr, suspension noise, help pls

Robertb

Yas Marina
So, spent a load of ££££ on new coffin arms, new top mounts and a new o/s longitudinal 'tuning fork' arm.

I'm still getting a patter/clonk/rattle from the front N/S at lower speeds over rough roads, e.g the 'dragons teeth' traffic calming raised road markings in villages, things that are raised rather than sunken.

It only happens when the car is warm after a bit of a drive.

I'm assuming the n/s 'tuning fork' is fine as I'm sure the bloke would have said when he did the other work.

Might it be the drop link? There isn't anything else left!

Would replacing either of those upset the full geo I've just had done?

Inner tie rods can do this once car has been warmed through?

Although I changed these due to a similar noise, but turns out it is actually my front control arms (forked). Geo should not need adjusting with tie rod or the forks, but will if changing coffin arms and/or top mounts.

I would get the n/s control arm fork changed first, makes sense to have done the pair.

Paul

Thanks Paul, the coffin arms and top mounts are all new. Will try the n/s tuning fork arm- it makes sense as you say to have done both sides and its an easy job to change.

wasz said:
Inner tie rods on the front. TRW parts are still out there and cheap.

As the steering fluid heats up the tolerance changes and you can feel it through the wheel and the floor. On mine they got worse pretty quickly.

May as well replace the track rod ends too.

Thanks- Oddly, you can't feel it through the wheel, or any harshness through the chassis. Its quite a gentle noise, but just enough to be irritating!

I can see I will end up replacing everything, and it will be the last bit.

Mine had these symptoms and it was the drop links. £18.00 each side, for the price I would change them anyway just to see :dont know:

I have just sorted exactly the same problem on mine. Most things had been replaced over the last couple of years except the forked arms because when checked, they always seemed fine. The noise on mine was always from the off side and as you report, you could feel it through the steering wheel. All only noticeable after a few miles of driving.

Anyway, I ordered two replacements and changed the os arm first. Hey presto the noise has gone. I will do the ns arm this weekend.

As an aside, they are ridiculously easy to fit, two bolts only and not a lot to wrong really, just take care not to break the plastic deflector when you are removing and refitting it. It seems pretty sturdy though.

Hope that helps.

Would put money on it being the NS tuning fork control arm. Been through exactly what you are doing now. I went for the ESP upgraded tuning fork control arms as they were a good price and looked to be more substbatial.
When the car is on ranks etc they appear ok but when they were off the car it was obvious they were shot.

Hope you sort it
Glen

Sounds very much like drop links to me!

Thanks folks, will try drop links as they are so cheap, and the other tuning fork... less cheap sadly.

Cheers Mike, I'll have a look.

At this rate the car will have an entirely new front end! If it still rattles I will :sad:

Can someone help me with terminology here, or even point me toward a diagram...

inner track rod joints
inner tie rods
track rod ends

I think I'm ok with the two control arms and the drop links.

:?:

Do 2wd cars have the tuning fork arms you mention? I have an annoying knock but no play in any component.

PS. 4WD front drop links are easy to fit. 2WD can be a nightmare as they double up as front strut pinch bolts. Mine were fused together. Needed drilling out both sides. 4WD uses a simple drop link.....so some good news.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back