Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What's your daily?

highway

Soon one year ago I bought a new daily. A lovely Saab 9-5 2.3 Turbo edition. I'm the second owner and it's now covered 17k. It's a bit wallowy but has loads of kit and THE most comfortable seats you have ever dropped your arse into.

It's mint and although it quaffs super unleaded at quite a rate I'm not minded to sell it. I bought the Mrs a Micra earlier this year. Until then she didn't use a car often and used mine when she needed to. Since I bought her the Micra she was out in it all the time so after a few months I sold it and bought a Mini One auto. That had covered 22k at the time, though quite old on an 04.

I was really quite taken with it. I added some viper stripes on the bonnet, refurbed a set of Mini lite 15" alloys and put some white mirror caps in. Transformed the look of the car.

I was actually so impressed with it that I started looking for a Cooper. The Mrs prefers auto and on the one it's really easy to press and go. I spotted a Cooper S with 7k and one owner at the weekend. Only intended to go look at it but it was in as new condition, save the de rigeur kerbing, so I bought it. It's auto with paddles. I think I'd have gone for manual had I the choice, she prefers auto and again it's dead easy to drive and feels quite punchy too.

In fact I like it so much I'm seriously considering keeping it, especlally as she doesn't seem massively keen to sell hers.

With my 993 the household now has 4 cars. This is the path to madness. One has to go. The Saab or the old Mini?

On another note, tell me about your daily?

Keep the mini, can see why people like their saabs, but the mini is a desireable icon car with bmw tech for goodness sake! great complement for a 993 too.

I don't have a daily as such, but when I need to pop somewhere local I tend to keep the 911 in the garage and use either my son's Corsa SXi or daughters Fiat 500, which like the mini is an icon and has nice design touches. It's not remotely sporty but a nice comfy drive nevertheless.

If it were me I'd sell all the lot (including the wife) and use the 993.

I have my 996 and that's it - used daily, nightly and sometimes hourly.

Daily driver for me is a 2013 Panda 4x4 Twinair. In my view, the Panda 4x4 is an iconic car and the latest iteration the best yet. It is not without its foibles, but for an everyday carry-anything / park anywhere / go anywhere vehicle it hits the spot nicely. I reckon they handle well too: Sure, it rolls and pitches on account of the short wheel-base and relatively soft long travel suspension, however you can tell from the helm exactly how much grip there is and have fun, all within license-retaining legal limits. The Panda design also has such novelties as easy to change bulbs (headlight bulb is under a minute) and just about the cheapest size of anything that is 'consumable', like brake-pads, battery etc. I'm a fan (clearly), though the British public has not really taken them to heart in the same way as the 500.

As to your car dilemma - personally i'd keep the Saab. It is already a classic and will surely go on forever. Even better is yours is ultra-low mileage. Very rare-indeed. You'll never find another one like it, whereas you could always get another mini.

Good luck :thumb:

Daily is an Evoque coupe for the moment, guess Warwick residents don't like it as one of them keyed it when 3 days old :sad: Will be replaced by Jaguar XE soon
On yours keep the Saab nice car :thumbs:

highway said:
It's a bit wallowy but has loads of kit and THE most comfortable seats you have ever dropped your arse into.

On another note, tell me about your daily?

My arse is incredibly important to me, as is a smooth and quiet ride...which is why I waft around, old man style, in an Automatic 1998 Mercedes Benz C-Class Elegance petrol saloon which cost a whopping £700, a whopping £200 Insurance a year, £200 servicing and about 100mpg. Trilby on, arm out the window, Henley on the Hi-Fi, chicks a-Kimbo. (I wish.)

It's Banger Motoring in style and comfort. Like you my friend, I tend to hoard cars and I choose this to drive most of the time over my 993 and whatever else modern there is in the stable. The Veyron is hideously juicy.

I personally love quality cars that you can drive and leave anywhere without locking them, worrying about them, or costing an Armani and a leggy.

Keep the Saab. The Saab is good. Arses are important at our age.

Daily is either 993 or the bosses C220 CDi - main difference is pop into town to get a loaf takes 10 mins in the merc or 1 hr with lots of detours in the 993
:)

My 996 turbo. Came close to getting a daily when I started getting mileage pile on paranoia. But thankfully a visit to Dr Ragpickerupper put me right and 4K mikes later I'm a happy man.

Why drive another car when you have a Porsche? I don't get it at all :dont know:

Lots of reasons :bandit:

I have 131 thousand reasons (smiles :lol: all mine) why the 993 should be a daily but would like an other one in the garage also RS preferably :D

I don't have to drive on a daily basis, but the S3 we've now had for 12yrs sees as much service as the 997TT. The fact it's not exactly standard helps!!

Meant to say OP, that SAAB of yours and the Mini (sorry only answered one of your questions). I've friends with both and they both love them. But both have tweaked them. :?:

The SAAB owner tweaked his and it's stupidly powerful now. And very red. Like a big tomato covered hearse (his words). The Mini owner the same.

So to expand my rationale above. The reason I don't 'get' 'dailies' is my philosophy is life's too short for anything less than interesting. So keep the one you find most interesting? And maybe give it a wee 'tweak' to make it more so? :D

(Graemep's kept his Audi for 12 years for example? ) :thumb:

New996buyer said:
jonttt said:
Lots of reasons :bandit:

'Density of substance' indeed :eh!:

Aaaaahhhh, thought about your 'cryptic' comment some more. :chin:

Are these your 'reasons' :?:

Both_cars_01.jpg

In which case why not a Panamera or a Cayenne...? :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads