Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Admiral Multi Car Insurance - Negative Feedback !

mrgrey

Monza
We have an Admiral multi car policy for the three family cars and it has been fine for the last three years, competitive prices and decent service. However it all fell apart over the weekend.
My stepson (20) likes to change his cars frequently but he is precise in his instructions to Admiral about what requires cancellation and what requires cover.
On Friday evening he cancelled cover on one car and insured another – so he thought. Only after driving it to Leeds did he find that for some currently inexplicable reason Admiral has cancelled the cover on my 911 and insured me (only) to drive his car, hence he was not insured to drive the 200 miles to Leeds on Saturday. Fortunately I did not take my 911 out over the weekend and we spent many hours on Sunday trying to get Admiral to restore my Insurance and cover all three vehicles correctly.

So the lesson we have learnt is that cheap car Insurance can come at a price and that staff in call centres don't always do what you think they have done. It was our fault that we did not check the Admiral documents portal on Saturday we may have seen the error, but it is still after our efforts yesterday not up to date although they did email us Insurance certificates for each vehicle yesterday, whether Police ANPR data is accurate who knows?

My warning to any multi car policy holders is check carefully after any policy changes/updates that ALL the data is correct and print off a copy of your Insurance certificate/s. Our previous experience with Admiral is that changes result in a confirmation email we didn't get any on Friday evening, but we were not at the time looking for them. More worrying is that they knew they were talking to my stepson he has a different surname and date of birth which I heard him confirm to them so why they cancelled my 911 cover is a mystery, to which apparently we may get an answer on Tuesday after an investigation has taken place. Oh they did want to charge us £70 to correct their mistake !

I have never driven an uninsured vehicle and I shudder to think what could have happened, Essex police do like to have purges with their ANPR kit and frequently fill up car transporters with 'illegal' cars I'm not sure how I would have reacted to being told I was uninsured when I knew I was covered.

Lesson learnt I'm changing insurers today I'm reminded of the old saying – the bitterness of poor quality (service) remains long after the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten.

Sorry for rambling on but I thought I would warn others it's too easy to be a victim of someone else's mistake.

It definitely pays to read the Insurance small print-
a friend of mine has a Subaru Impreza....
recently he returned home after being away for a day or two to find
his car had disappeared from his driveway. The thieves had ransacked his house and found the car keys.

When he contacted the Insurance company they notified him that the car
had to be in his designated locked garage from 10pm to 7am daily and that if he ever planned to leave it elsewhere beyond those hours he had to contact them-
So everytime he went away in the car for the night he should notify the Insurance company!! Ridiculous.
They argued that because it was parked on his driveway and not in the garage they would not pay out.
Luckily the police spoke to a neighbour who heard the car leave in the afternoon so the 10pm to 7am get out clause was not viable.

The car was found burnt out a week later.
The agreed value for the car was 20 grand-
the Insurance company have thus far offered him 11 grand.
Insurance companies hey-

Possibly not the Insurance Company's fault more likely operator error, shouldn't happen I know but unfortunately does occasionally. Always print/check documents.
Once tried to tax motorbike and DVLA said NO , no Ins, I knew it was so rang Ins Broker, " oh we've forgotten to update the database for your vehicle" Operator error!!!! Sorry!!! Good job wasn't ANPR that found out first.

I've found admiral multi car pretty good.
I see all my documents online, and print copies whenever I want.
I wish the same could be said for the dvla's taxing system.

Wouldn't drive a car without an email or text confirmation of any changes made to my Insurance cover.

Re: Admiral Multi Car - WARNING

Thanks for posting the detail of your situation. I can understand your frustration but I doubt that it is 'Admiral specific'.

My precis of your post is:

mrgrey said:
........... staff in call centres don't always do what you think they have done. It was our fault that we did not check the Admiral documents portal on Saturday we may have seen the error .......

On a positive note, when I had a prang in my daily drive, Admiral were excellent. Just saying :thumb:

I've found Admiral to be pretty good, made changes to cars, registrations, address etc. without any issues. Their online documents portal is useful as they get updated pretty much instantly.

Sorry OP but I think this is your fault for not checking the documents. There's always a possibility of mistakes and misunderstandings but with another insurer who use snail mail you wouldn't have even found out until a few days later.

Last time I enquirer with admiral they didn't touch modified vehicles which ruled out 4 out of the 5 cars I want to insure :( have they changed this policy yet?

Winny911 said:
Last time I enquirer with admiral they didn't touch modified vehicles which ruled out 4 out of the 5 cars I want to insure :( have they changed this policy yet?

I think they may have. I've just renewed with them & covered the few mods I have done.

Shaoxter said:
I've found Admiral to be pretty good, made changes to cars, registrations, address etc. without any issues. Their online documents portal is useful as they get updated pretty much instantly.

Sorry OP but I think this is your fault for not checking the documents. There's always a possibility of mistakes and misunderstandings but with another insurer who use snail mail you wouldn't have even found out until a few days later.

The blame is with the idiot who made the errors. The OP should have checked but it's understandable that you wouldn't expect this type of thing to happen.

I would say though that if you are happy with other aspects of the company then you might want to rethink moving. One individual makes a mistake, doesn't make them a bad company.

Winny911 said:

I've had modified cars with them for at least the last 7-8 years. The only constant issue I've had is having to play the same game at renewal time..

However, I've about had it with them over the handling of repairs to our other car, which they lost for two weeks (yes, really) and came back with new damage - cut tyre, kerbed alloy, door clearly opened against another car, and roof aerial snapped..

:frustrated: :frustrated:

I would hope that a reputable insurer would provide a letter of indemnity stating that you were covered at the time that you were stopped. Wouldn't avoid the ANPR hassle but would avoid a no Insurance conviction.

UPDATE:
Latest News.

We have spent over two hours on the 'phone trying to get to the bottom of this.

To their credit Admiral have come back to us and tried to explain what they think happened but with very little detail. They have apologised profusely for the mistake, corrected the cover and offered some compensation.

Primo as someone in the industry you were quick to make the important point about a letter confirming that cover existed, and indeed Admiral have offered to do this today, so that is some comfort.
Also, they said that had there been a claim during the period of 'apparent no Insurance' they would have met the claim in the normal way. Call me a cynic but I would not have wanted to test that out, insurers wriggle don't they?

I must say that up until this event we have found Admiral to be quite efficient but for me the thought of standing by the roadside trying to explain to a Policeman that I paid for a years Insurance ten weeks ago and I have not cancelled it, and that he shouldn't take my car away just because the insurers have ##cked up doesn't bear thinking about.
I could have ended up on one of those nice police TV programmes - the flash git in a Porsche without Insurance, I really need that !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back