Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CLR Project Leichtbau: adding lightness to the tune of 250kg

ELA

I keep having re-occurring thoughts about making my 98 C2 a little more interesting and focused. Problem is it really is a beautiful car and has all the right bits and pieces (Full Hartech, PSE, M030, OEM trick diff, 997SSK, 10speaker system incl door woofers...) so I don't want to potentially ruin it.

I am probably already on the border having fitted 200cell cats, BMC filter and CAI, RSS engine mounts, under-drive pulley and soon a LWFW!

Question I have is, if I try to retain the creature comforts that make it a semi-practical family car (carpets, rear seats, elec windows...) but remove non-essentials like complete air-con system and sunroof, would the weight-loss justify the removal of these components?
How much weight is there in the AC system (I'm guessing around 20kg), sunroof (probably only 10kg). Hardly noticeable in the grand scheme of things.
What is the potential kg's that can be removed if I really went to town (Hifi, AC, carpets, plastic windows...)?

UPDATE:
Thought it best to update this first post with all the available data I have to date (I will update as I go along):

Each car has different spec so not all will be the same as my car but for info mine is a 1998 C2 manual with Sunroof, PSE, upgraded Hifi 10 speaker, Rear wiper, sports seats and Turbo Look solid 18's.

Stock parts removed/lightened
Jack -1.3kg
Toolroll -0.8kg
Front Impact bar -3.1kg
Rear impact bar -3.8kg
Space saver wheel -11.3kg
Wiper motor assembly and insulation -2.2kg
2x rear carpets (behind rear seats) -6kg
Insulation behind Interior rear side lower panel 1.8kg per side = 3.6kg
Alpine speakers 0.6kg each x4 = -2.4kg
Door sub 1.8kg each = 3.6kg total
Carpet under rear seat lightened -2.6kg
Door airbag each 1.1kg = -2.2kg
Passenger airbag -3.3kg
Head-unit -1.6kg
6CD changer -1.9kg
Amplifier -1.2
Floor mats -2.6kg
Alarm Siren -0.8kg
Battery Tray -1.2kg
GT3RS Radiator Modification -2.7kg
Brake shields & bolts -0.4kg
PSE wiring loom -0.1kg
Screenwash fluid drained -1kg
Engine tensioner bracket modified -0.4kg
2x doors snubbers -1kg
Engine cover ram delete 0.1kg
Front M030 ARB -2.86kg

Parts replaced (weight reduced by)
CLR Inconel625 Exhaust -20.8kg
Dash delete -1.0kg
CLR Carbon roof (sunroof delete) -18.1kg
CLR AC/PAS conversion kit -21.2kg
Lightweight Li battery -15.7kg
Polycarbonate rear window -4.1kg
Polycarbonate rear side windows -1.4kg
LWFW and Stage 2 clutch -5.9kg
CUP steering wheel -1.6kg
Ohlins+CLR top mounts (Front 4.8 each rear 4.3 each) -4.4kg
Carbon/Leather LWB seats -12.3kg each = -24.6kg
CLR Carbon Ducktail -6kg
CLR brake cooling mod: Drag/lift reduction -0.5kg
CLR Power loom modified -0.5kg
CLR Carbon wings -5.4
CLR Carbon bonnet -9kg
Fuchs wheels with CUP2's -22.9kg
Titanium wheels bolts -1.1kg
CLR Carbon doors (5.1kg each) -20.8
CLR Carbon door cards (1.1kg each) -5.2kg
CLR Complete suspension (14 arms) and front droplink redesign -1.7kg
CLR Carbon RUF Mirrors -0.23kg

Total weight removed so far: 253.6kg

FOR INFO ONLY: Other parts which have been weighed
Interior rear side lower panel 1.6kg
Interior rear wiper motor panel/cover 0.5kg
OEM seat each 23.7kg = 47.4kg
OEM Cat 5.3kg each Inc O2 sensor = 10.6kg
Carpet under rear seat 7.4kg
Centre console (around gear lever/handbrake) 2.4kg
Door card each 3.7kg = 7.4kg
Steering wheel airbag 1.2kg
Stock battery 17.4kg
Sunroof assembly 13.4kg (4.9kg sunroof panel, 5.0kg frame, 3.5kg inner cover, brackets etc)
OEM wing mirror each 0.9kg
Rear side windows 1.2kg x2 = 2.4kg
Rear screen 7.7kg
Roof skin 7.5kg
Front wheel + tyre 20.8kg
Rear wheel + tyre 24kg
15mm spacer 0.8Kg
Front strut inc top mount 6kg
Rear strut inc top mount 5.3kg
OEM Coffin arm 1.8kg
Front hub assembly inc wheel bearing 6.3kg
OEM PSE 1xsilencer+tip+bolts/clamps 12.4kg per side
OEM Cat inc O2 sensor 5.3kg per side
Total exhaust (excl manifolds) 35.6kg
CUP2 in 215/45R17 9.1kg
CUP2 in 255/40R17 10.4kg
OEM wing 5kg
OEM bonnet 14kg

IMPORTANT NOTE:
If you are struggling to view the earlier pics in the thread, I believe there is a fix; see below :thumb:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...nk-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg?hl=en

I quite like your idea,

Do you have electric seats, perhaps consider changing those to a lightweight race item or some gt3 ones, throw out space saver wheel, jack, air compressor, tool kit

What are your thoughts on the 200cell cats and power pulley? Any rise in water temps? Much of a power increase?

:thumb:

Harv said:
I quite like your idea,

Do you have electric seats, perhaps consider changing those to a lightweight race item or some gt3 ones, throw out space saver wheel, jack, air compressor, tool kit

What are your thoughts on the 200cell cats and power pulley? Any rise in water temps? Much of a power increase?

Ditched all the front compartment nonsense the minute I bought the car :thumb:
200cell cats are probably the best mods I have done to date. around 5kg less than stock and they give a noticeable gain and sound great. Here is a little video to give you an idea what they sound like from on-board a following car. My car is the silver one in front.
Pulley is ok but does increase temps. It makes the steering a little heavier which I think is a plus :) To counteract the temp rise I plan to fit a LTT in the near future.
I've already been looking into seats. Trouble is the carbon buckets are 6.5kg which is great but you lose the use of the back end. The folding buckets are 15kg. Seems quite a difference in weight. I considered one of each but just think it will look a bit daft.

Great idea :thumb:

I believe the quick way to weight loss whilst keeping the interior family friendly is written in your signature "Carbon wings/doors/bonnet/door cards" or fibre glass for a cheaper option

ELA said:
Harv said:
I quite like your idea,

Ditched all the front compartment nonsense the minute I bought the car :thumb:
200cell cats are probably the best mods I have done to date. around 5kg less than stock and they give a noticeable gain and sound great. Here is a little video to give you an idea what they sound like from on-board a following car. My car is the silver one in front.
Pulley is ok but does increase temps. It makes the steering a little heavier which I think is a plus :) To counteract the temp rise I plan to fit a LTT in the near future.
I've already been looking into seats. Trouble is the carbon buckets are 6.5kg which is great but you lose the use of the back end. The folding buckets are 15kg. Seems quite a difference in weight. I considered one of each but just think it will look a bit daft.

That sounds epic :thumbs:
That is all :grin:

A very interesting project as an early C2 is not much heavier than a GT3.

subscribed. :thumb:

I may be wrong (probably am) but I thought that a 996 C2 was lighter than a GT3.

Go with the LWFW and RSS mounts. 1kg off the flywheel is worth about 10kg off the rest of the car in first gear, less in higher gears, aim for reductions in rotating and unsprung mass. RSS mounts are great. I would keep A/C myself, but lose sound deadening and and seats which aren't needed. Weight high up is good to lose, but is removing the sunroof sensible financially?

Interesting project.

MC

kas750 said:
A very interesting project as an early C2 is not much heavier than a GT3.

subscribed. :thumb:

+1

I'm fascinated by this as the picture on my profile should suggest. I worked with my mate in NI on his hill climb / sprint focused X1/9 when I lived there and it was a real test of ingenuity. (Oops, shattered the 'I've never got my hands dirty' myth...... :oops: )

From what I remember while it's tempting to go for the 'big ticket' weight saving items, it was the overall cumulative effect of systematically finding the 'redundant systems and materials'. The compromises made vs the benefits is a really fascinating road to go down (no pun). I'll subscribed too :thumb:

I'd agree with Mistercorn and if you're thinking of road use keeping the AC I'd thing through carefully. They're a lot of glass in 996 and most of us at somepoint have had the AC out of commission because of the condenser design flaw. And anytime between May and September in the sunlight it can get very hot in there? :dont know:

But you know what you want to achieve so rock on and good luck! :worship:

Ok guys, made inroads into this little project. Had both the front and rear bumpers off to remove the impact bars. By my calculations I reckon about -130kg is possible without going too heavy into the expensive stuff.
So far here are the removed weights:

-Front impact beam (Incl bolts and brackets): 3.1kg
-Rear impact beam (Incl bolts and brackets): 3.8kg
-Jack 1.3kg
-Toolroll 0.8kg
-Spare wheel 11.3kg
-200 Cell cats 4.3kg
-RSS engine mounts

Service%20201520_zps3wm8vvfq.jpg

Service%202015%2018_zpsr59oruli.jpg

IMG_4294_zpsb0b52b3c.jpg

IMG_4314_zps44014023.jpg

IMG_1541%20800x600_zps3skkjmih.jpg

IMG_1542%20800x600_zpskeaivx51.jpg

IMG_1537800x600_zpsae3ed9f8.jpg

Been thinking about this for some time. Basically everyone would like a GT3 but the £50K difference between the C2 and GT3 is a little off-putting. My aim is to come up with a package where the end result is to get as close to the GT3 experience as possible but without the massive price delta. Initial thoughts are along the lines of retaining as much usability as is practically possible but to also give that GT3esque raw dynamic feel, sound and response; achieved broadly by doing the following:

-minus 130kg (complete strip and rebuild: engine out, sunroof issues etc)
-Line interior with Alcantara; (also if original car interior is a less than desirable colour leather, re-trim with Alcantara).
-LWFW and trick clutch plate to reduce noise
-200Cell cats
-Induction system
-Carbon with Alcantara seats
-Lightweight Alloys
-All in for say a £10k ballpark (not looked into this yet, so fag packet maths at present :grin:

Should make for a formidable weapon, whilst still retaining the beauty and subtlety that makes the Carrera such a wonderful car.

I have just bought 3m2 of Alcantara so when I get a chance, I will have a little go at re-trimming the interior to see how it comes out...

:thumbs:

Sound deadening, rear seats, rear wiper motor, stereo, amp......? That plus lightweight buckets should all be worth 15-20 kg's as well?

Not sure what the saving would be if you went from from a retractable spoiler to a ducktail or other fixed rear as well would be? If any? :dont know:

Great so far though!?! :thumb:

Lightweight Alloys - http://www.jzmporsche.com/shop/Porsche-Alloy-Wheels/Porsche-997-MM1-Lightweight-Wheels-11 (for 997, you can find similar if you ask around). Those Alloys save 60kg which is a serious saving.

Lightweight (or modified) engine cover lid - http://www.tuningcarbonhoods.co.uk/en/carbon-boot-spoiler/porsche-996-rear-wing-spoiler-boot.html (feel the weight of standard lid versus something like this)

Carbon Fibre/Fibreglass Doors - search Google

Carbon Fibre/Fibreglass Front Bumper - search Google

You could do the roof but might cause headache at resale. I wouldn't advise taking too much weight off the front if RWD model. Anything from the rear is a bonus.

Bootlid. Rear Bumper. Rear Seats and Carpet (can re-trim in thin carpet for aesthetics). Polycarbonate Windows from plastics4performance.

When you're all done get it on the weighbridge.

I personally like Air-Con and Power Steering but if you want to go completely crazy you can remove all of that and run an electric waterpump and racing car battery. With most ancillaries removed and underdrive pulley (or whatever everybody else does for quicker revs) you'll have a serious contender ;-)

If the car is being used for local blasts and track use the Alternator could go in the bin as well. Racing Batteries aren't too expensive, you'll see 2-3 hours driving from a single charge. You need to calculate your total expected current draw but it is possible. If you stall it will start again, but use a Jump Pack the first time. The power loss of the alternator would be the last frictional resistance to rotation if you chopped everything else.

Looks like you have the standard exhausts. They are heavy.
Some aftermarket ones could save quite a bit of weight.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back