Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bargain OBDII code reader gets the thumbs up!

Alex

Wrote this post this afternoon but accidently deleted it but knew I needed to write it so here it is:

As some know, I'm having a bit of a poodle (new word - poo idle) with my 996. My mate lent me a code reader as the one I have is pretty basic (as in '0's & '1's!).

So, after a few hours of using it, I've got to say, it has to be one of the bargains of the year. Even my wizard mechanic wants one as he doesn't like taking his £3k reader out on jobs with him and leaving it in his tank.

It shows all codes and erases them and also tracks all live data for you to view and also save as well for reference.

For under £14 it has to be a serious bargain: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D900-Vehi...-Reader-Scanner-diagnostic-tool-/390665683446

:thumb:

$_35.jpg

I have a Bluetooth ELM327 dongle, connects to my laptop or Android tablet, does the same as the thing that you have, live data etc.
I honestly don`t know how you can own Porsche without a code reader :?:

I`m going to get the iCarsoft i960, which will do the whole car, airbags, ABS etc, and it`s £99, no-brainer really :D

Alex, the link takes you to a 2014 version, is that one ok/what you have? or is the 2015 some others are selling much different? Is the £99 one mentioned in this thread loads better?
Cheers :thumb:

The one I've been using is about 3 years old. Looks just the same though and works a treat for checking live O2 sensor voltages, engine temp and speed, etc. as well as being about to reset CEL and read and erase codes.

You mean like airbags, transmission, etc? Not sure. All the live data on it is engine related only.

Just done a quick 'google' and don't think it does.

I thought my £30 Sealey one was good value but that is just nuts. Well worth having one.

MC

Many thanks for the heads up OP, just bought one ;)

MisterCorn said:
I thought my £30 Sealey one was good value but that is just nuts. Well worth having one.

MC

You think thats cheap I have one of these in the glove box:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221847479159

£2.64, pair with a phone app and it reads / clears all engine codes and does live data.

Tried mine last night for the first time on my Mrs VW Golf Cab. It failed to recognise the car. Anyone else had this problem. Do you need to insert 3xAA batteries into the back of it? Reason I ask is it takes power from the OBD cable and lights up fine, I choose VW then scan but after a few moments it came back with a message about not being able to connect, Check IGN on etc...

wasz said:
MisterCorn said:

MC

You think thats cheap I have one of these in the glove box:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221847479159

£2.64, pair with a phone app and it reads / clears all engine codes and does live data.

Hi Wasz, what is the phone called?
Cheers

ELA said:
Tried mine last night for the first time on my Mrs VW Golf Cab. It failed to recognise the car. Anyone else had this problem. Do you need to insert 3xAA batteries into the back of it? Reason I ask is it takes power from the OBD cable and lights up fine, I choose VW then scan but after a few moments it came back with a message about not being able to connect, Check IGN on etc...

Try just selecting "other" when it asks for the make. It only reads it with mine when I select other, but I've also seen this with other makes and code readers.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back