Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Winter tyres, what have you tried fella's

S10lemon

After last years excitement on Conti's in the cold and wet I'm going to run some winter rubber on narrower rims from Oct-Nov this year.

I've picked up some 16 inch 7 and 7.5 D90s and am reading through reviews on winter boots but wondered what experience / advice I might get on here.

I'm not too concerned about wear or noise, but would like a little warning before that buttock clenching moment when all grip and hope are lost :)

Cheers fella's

I put Vredesteins on mine.

They originally went on my 996 and I had a couple off hairy moments, perhaps I was expecting too much.

However on my 964 they were great. Just that bit less power seemed to make the tyre behave hugely better. My 964 was a C4 though, so better behaved anyway.

Biggest difference was through puddles. Just went through them, no aquaplaning, or pull on the steering.

I run vredesteins too. I find them amazing on damp,slippery roads, plenty of grip and stability. Mine are 18" on std front rims and 265 rears on 10j rims instead of the std 11j (996 C4S). I don't push them to their limits, I respect the road conditions, and the chance of constantly changing grip levels. Any winter tyre will be amazing in standing water etc,compared to summer tyres. Those who think winter tyres are only for snow are idiots. Whatever you buy will be good, you won't find rubbish tyres in Porsche sizes. :D

I also ran Vredestein Wintrac Xtremes for two winters on my old C4. Covered the alps, wales, yorkshire, in all conditions.

They were faultless, supreme in snow and wet conditions, and frankly pretty good in the dry.

I now run Bridgestone Blizzaks on my RS4 which are even better in snow but give up too much performance in the dry.

Just got back from my first decent run with my winter wheels fitted.

I ended up with a set of nearly newPirelli Sottozero 210s for eBay for £60 :)

They make more road noise but are loads better in the wet, in all respects.

I have followed the tyre guide and put 44 psi in the rears, but it feels very hard, anybody on 16s that runs less?

I have Nankang SV-1 Nordic on my winter wheels. They don't get many miles on them, but do a decent job for the price. This is a pic from today when it was -12 celcius.

The compound is soft as the tyre is designed for cold, Nordic climates. This makes them fairly grippy, but I wouldn't use these for spirited driving or when the temperatures get above 5-10 degrees celcius (that's what the summer wheels and tyres are for).

162294633.r8Kk89Eg.jpg

Hi Teme

Is your car a C2 or 4 ?

I use Vredestein wintrac extreme on my TT and have often wondered if I could use them and get reasonable grip on a rear drive Porsche.

Hi,

My car is a C2. I forgot to mention the tyre sizes. They are 205/50-17 up front and 235/45-17 at the rear. I'm afraid I cannot compare the Nankang to the Vredestein as I have not tried the latter.

Ok thanks Teme

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back