Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 24
997 : 2004- 85
996 : 1997-2005 42
993 : 1993-1998 6
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 15
Cayman : 2005- 14
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 0
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 0
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

courtthree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dragonmeister,

We've gone off piste here a little. While I am undecided on PDK v Manual, the real question is around whether the new 991.2 GTS will be turbo or naturally aspirated. Have a quick read of the thread (if you have a few minutes) as I would really value your opinion on it.

Mark Strong

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi courtthree,

I read this article:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-frankfurt-motor-show/2015-porsche-911-facelift-no-turbo-engines-911-gts-and-gt3
...and got completely confused about what is going to happen to the GTS. I almost cancelled my order and transferred the deposit onto the new gen car...

I then contacted all the possible sources and got a hint that "the (new) GTS will be powered by the new turbo engine" and potentially will be announced in the second quarter next year.

Think about what GTS really is... GTS is a 911 Carrera GTS and therefore should be considered as a highly spec'ed up Carrera with extra power from the Power Kit and special interior / exterior features. Yes, someone may think it is something between Carrera S and GT3, and that is correct performance and comfort wise BUT it not a GT car, not a GT2.5 or, more likely (considering the track version of Cayman is called GT4) a GT3.5.

It may still be the case that we are buying a dying breed, a piece of history.

I am keeping my order.

courtthree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

That link is the online version of the printed story published on the 5th August that prompted this post in the first place. It's the same magazine and same author and it's still the ONLY source of this story.

I have contacted him via Twitter and he is adamant that he is correct.

Porsche GB will not confirm or deny which makes me think it's got some legs. I am not being pushed for a final decision just yet (October build slot) so I'm going to wait and see but I must admit that I am a) seriously rethinking and b) seriously ****ed off!!!

The big gain you'll find (almost for certain) is that the "new" GTS (if it remains NA) will be considerably more expensive in my opinion. I can't see it's base price being anywhere below 100k and with extras you won't be able to get in a high spec one for less than 125k. With your massive spec, you're probably saving at least 20k by sticking with it.

Mark Strong

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 100% agree with you about the price as when I discussed my options with the dealer, I have been told that the new gen cars will be more expensive.
Although the new options like rear wheel steering, active front spoiler, front axle lift and the infotainment system sound nice, I don't want to wait another year to get them (on a new GTS).
When time comes and new GTS gets released whether as NA or Turbo, I will check my upgrade options and act accordingly.

Not to mention that I will have a lot of fun driving my GTS for a year!

courtthree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll never be unhappy with the current GTS. It's a weapon!

I am really torn and I'm just not sure how to proceed.

Mark Strong

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

courtthree wrote:
You'll never be unhappy with the current GTS. It's a weapon!
I am really torn and I'm just not sure how to proceed.
As you rightly said, you still have time to make the decision BUT would you be able to get more info on the next (new) GTS when Porsche launches the new gen? Most likely this will be the case and you will be able to me an informed decision.

courtthree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found a second source for the story here:
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2016-porsche-911-facelift-gt3-gts-skip-turbos-carrera-s-gets-4-wheel-steering-450-hp-power-kit-99147.html

I doubt I'll be able to get pricing info on the new GTS in time for it to colour my decision. And will it be available in 7 speed manual, the GT3 isn't?

I know I'll love the car regardless so maybe I've just got to go for it but, on the other hand, it feels like such an expensive purchase should be made with absolute clarity - not hesitation and twinges of disappointment.

Mark Strong

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you courtthree,
Yes, it is a lot of money and you will be losing a substantial portion of them as soon as the car is off the forecourt.

I seriously doubt Porsche will keep GTS as NA as by doing that they will be creating a new model, in addition to Carrera and GT3. The emission regulations will be pushing them the turbo route.
I sincerely hope you will be able to get more info when Porsche launches new gen on the 19th of September and make a decision.

I am a bit pressed for time and don't want to wait another 9-12 months for the new GTS.
Life is too short to wait for "better" things, "Better is the enemy of Good"...

Vortex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

courtthree wrote:
I had to go to the test track at Silverstone to get a go in a manual (only one my dealer could find). I definitely preferred it but I am old school like that. I have a manual 997.2 C4S right now and I've always found any auto to be less interesting to drive.

I couldn't notice the 0-60 difference but I admit, the quoted 3.8 seconds for the PDK in launch control makes it VERY appealing.

I also hadn't thought about the GTS not being released for several months. That is good on the one hand but also bad in that I may not get a definitive answer in time to finalise my spec.

I'm still completely undecided.

Go for it ....get the manual GTS and enjoy it! It's a truly fabulous car .... fact .. and that will not change, I drove one at Silverstone in both Manual and PDK and thought it was outstanding. Car experts the world over can't fault it. I would buy the manual as I find PDK too much like driving my powerful everyday saloon that has a 8 speed sports box / paddles.

I'm certain it will be a decision you won't regret - get that order in!

What spec are you looking to go for?

Andy787

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Im in a similar situation..I ordered at new GTS back on 1st june I think it was, lured with the promise of a july/aug build with 1st sept delivery..

Imagine how surprised and delighted I was on august 15th when they phoned me up to tell them that it had been delayed until oct/nov build, i.e. nov delivery at best..they had offered me such a derisory sum for my current car I had sold that privately 2 days previously…hence I was without transport..I asked if they could provide my with a courtesy car to bridge the gap or sell me used with a good buy back in nov, both declined….so having mulled it over I thought sod them and cancelled my order and had my deposit refunded….spending over 100K I expect better. I had to go out and buy another car to get around, bought a used Cooper S which is a lot of fun..

So either there never was a july build or they used my slot for someone else…

Anyways, every cloud and all that..I can now wait to see what the new GT/GTS is like and have one of those instead!!

RyDog
Silverstone

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy787 wrote:
Hi guys,
Im in a similar situation..I ordered at new GTS back on 1st june I think it was, lured with the promise of a july/aug build with 1st sept delivery..

Imagine how surprised and delighted I was on august 15th when they phoned me up to tell them that it had been delayed until oct/nov build, i.e. nov delivery at best..they had offered me such a derisory sum for my current car I had sold that privately 2 days previously…hence I was without transport..I asked if they could provide my with a courtesy car to bridge the gap or sell me used with a good buy back in nov, both declined….so having mulled it over I thought sod them and cancelled my order and had my deposit refunded….spending over 100K I expect better. I had to go out and buy another car to get around, bought a used Cooper S which is a lot of fun..

So either there never was a july build or they used my slot for someone else…

Anyways, every cloud and all that..I can now wait to see what the new GT/GTS is like and have one of those instead!!

Ha! Good call - And here's the reason why guys - busy bees tooling up for a festive presents for other buyers buddy...

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=106162

courtthree

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies guys. Sorry for not responding sooner, I haven't been getting email updates for some reason.

So, I've just had an email from Porsche telling me that tomorrow is D Day. I have to say one way or the other or I'll lose my slot.

With the Frankfurt motor show on, I was hoping for an announcement but nothing yet. This is really going to the wire Wink

I must admit, having deliberated over this for so long and with all the positive encouragement from you guys I think I'm going to go for it regardless. I was asked about spec above so here's a copy and paste from the configurator:

Privacy glass (rear side windows and rear window)
Electric slide/tilt glass sunroof
Side skirts painted
SportDesign package
Automatically dimming mirrors with integrated rain sensor
PASM sports suspension (20 mm lower)
GTS interior package
Adaptive Sports seats Plus (18-way, electric)
ParkAssist (front and rear)
Electrically folding exterior mirrors
Porsche Vehicle Tracking System (VTS)
Silver instrument dials
20-inch 911 Turbo S wheels, painted in Black
Rhodium Silver Metallic
Black Alcantara Package GTS in Rhodium Silver conjunction with GTS interior package
7-speed manual transmission
Telephone module
Light design package
ISOFIX child seat mounting points on front passenger seat
Smoking package
Belt outlet trims in Alcantara
Sun visors in Alcantara
BOSE® Surround Sound System
Door sill guards in stainless steel, illuminated

Have I missed anything guys?

And I'm gonna try uploading an image but it never seems to work for me...

courtthree

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd also run by you my logic for believing that the GTS will go turbo next time around.

The commercial purpose of the GTS is to give buyers an incentive to buy towards the end of a model's life. I've seen it described as the "Greatest hits album" of the current model. They do it, I'm told, to keep the cars selling right to the bitter end. That's certainly the case this time around as it was with the 997.2. So, it makes sense that the GTS edition of an entirely turbo range will have to be turbo as well. Otherwise, they will lose the main weapon in their arsenal to keep the 991.2 moving out of the showroom in the lead up to the 992's launch (or whatever it will be).

That's not to say that there won't ever be a "Special Edition" or another "GT" designation that is naturally aspirated but, as for the GTS, I would now be surprised to see it naturally aspirated in the future.

I realise there is a lot of guess work here but what do you guys think?

T8
General
General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd add Cruise Control to the spec' list.

My opinion is that the 991.2 GTS will have Turbos and like previous GTS models it will be the highest base spec & most powerful Carrera in the range.

Envy
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual

courtthree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruise control noted mate!

What about manual v PDK? Right choice?

T8
General
General

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

courtthree wrote:

Only you can decide that. Very Happy

There will always be those that insist on a manual gearbox so resale won't be an issue but I suspect that 90% of buyers will go for PDK.
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual

carkid
Imola

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

courtthree wrote:

Definitely get cruise control- I've used it a hell of a lot.....
most useful when doing 50mph in your 190mph 911 through the M25 variable speed limit nooo

DRZ911
Barcelona

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

courtthree wrote:

My tuppence for what it is worth .......

Right decision to go with 991.1 GTS over a 991.2 3.0 litre S, simply because the small turbo engine needs to prove itself and also because a gen 2 GTS (whether NA or turbo) is at least 2 years off.

In terms of transmission, PDK with sports+ is a must - you will kick yourself if you don't. Rolling Eyes

Mark Strong

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would splash out on ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control). I have CC on my current car and regretting not going for the ACC.

You may also consider Online Services. Although in the current setup it is almost useless, there may be an upgrade that will make it worth while.

I forgot to add it to my car and have emailed Porsche RE the retrofit, still waiting for the answer.

Belt outlet trims in Alcantara - Did not think about that, missed it completely.

RyDog
Silverstone

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ911 wrote:
courtthree wrote:

My tuppence for what it is worth .......

Right decision to go with 991.1 GTS over a 991.2 3.0 litre S, simply because the small turbo engine needs to prove itself and also because a gen 2 GTS (whether NA or turbo) is at least 2 years off.

In terms of transmission, PDK with sports+ is a must - you will kick yourself if you don't. Rolling Eyes

If two years off, makes no sense waiting as the new 911 is due out [quote] 2018. e.g. Like buying a 997.2 GTS. Great car btw...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: