Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Mid-life Worsening: 458

left hand drive is the only thing i can see

Same here but still seriously underpriced. Always a reason but the novitec thing looks kosher. I'll buy it tomorrow and repent at my leisure!

In my very limited experience I'd say the fezza market isn't very kind to aftermarket bling and it's actually quite expensive considering it's a left hooker and in the wrong colour - by all means scratch the itch, but careful you don't end up catching a dose :hand:

*look up reviews on the seller and make up your own mind...

That's fopr sale at Sheikh Amari in Preston. The car has been in Saudi and brought over. Probably kosher (or should that be halal?) but three things why I'd not go near it:
1. Do you really know the history from Saudi? Its effectively an import.
2. Wrong colour. Might be popular choice for a rich Sheikh in Saudi but over here?
3. The Ferrari market is very different - you need to mingle with the Horse brigade to find out about saleability features, dealers who they trust and asking prices versus mileage (they are incredibly mileage sensitive).

If you still think of buying, then unless you have secure storage, you will ,likely have to find secure storage at around £2500 per annum, and still have it serviced on the dot. Nobody looks at a Ferrari until they have gone through the whole service book. Any missed dates and they move on more often than not to a car that has on-the-dot servicing.

BUT absolutely beautiful cars - from the 360 to the F430 to the Italia.
Stunning and mesmerising. Te best would be to have a Turbo and a Ferrari (not too old - oldest would have to be 360 - the others before are a pain to maintain with an engine out job for the cambelts).

Chimp on here has a Turbo and a F430 - he should be able to give you good guidance. And if I remember correctly, his is a left hooker also.

Hmmm... but look how shiny it is!

thanks - i'll sleep on it. and pm chimp

Yes I opted for a lhd scud after originally thinking I wanted a rhd 458. I can offer advice but I'm not so sure it can be called good.

As with any marque there are a few common things to think about, especially when it comes to residuals. Colour, spec, mileage, service history and originality all have a significant effect on value - the example you've shown would likely be considered too garish for most buyers and when you've already got a relatively small market you don't want to make things more difficult for yourself when you're looking to move it on.

Early rhd 458s can be had for similar money and may be a safer bet, though it's unclear whether they've still got some depreciation left in them, especially with the 488 about to hit showrooms...HTH :thumb:

chimp911 said:
In my very limited experience I'd say the fezza market isn't very kind to aftermarket bling and it's actually quite expensive considering it's a left hooker and in the wrong colour - by all means scratch the itch, but careful you don't end up catching a dose :hand:

*look up reviews on the seller and make up your own mind...

indeed, for example, this thread on here featured that seller who was on TV a few months back...http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=102016&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=amari

Depreciation is a consideration. Couple this with the fact that selling on Ferrari privately is a tall challenge. The dealerships control the market. Getting a car in a garish colour can be a real obstacle.

On the older 360 the prices have been rising. Consider that the 360 was a car released late 1990's around 996 timeline for similar price to a turbo. The entry price to get a good 360 is £55k - £62k and a high miler with 60k would still be around £50k.

The 458 is a speculative buy as Chimp has eluded to the release of the 488 and its anybody's guess what that will do to residuals on the 458.

:eek: Too loud. Last owner's unassuming style :dont know:

article-2070013-0F0DEF5D00000578-50_634x958.jpg

If you fancy a LHD take a look here for EU prices: http://www.autoscout24.com/

We had a roady in that colour, special order, black interior with yellow stitching, my boss did not like it in the flesh and sold it on.

I kind of liked it though :thumb:

Not sure about Amari though, well I am but I can't say on here :grin: let's just say he is local and he did time for it :wink:

I had a perfect silver F355 GTS, low miles, owners, full history a few years ago. Virtually impossible to sell at the time, not even a call on my private ad, ended up selling it to the trade :sad:

As said above, with high-end cars like that, dealers are the market.

IMHO any car like that with an unusual 'story' i.e. import, bodykit needs to be at a good discount as you will always be up against it when you come to sell.

Great car though!

Robertb bears testament to my reasearch findings. Namely that there is no private market for a Ferrari - it is a dealership controlled market from start to finish. By dealership, I'm not just saying Ferrari Main Dealers, but the independents as well.

Trying to offload a Ferrari privately is nigh on impossible and nothing like offloading a Porsche where there are still plenty of private sales for the 996 NA cars and some of the Turbo and GT3 cars.

Volumes of Ferrari are tiny compared to a Porsche equivalent.
Prices are climbing for both marques (selected models only in the Porsche camp). The older Ferrari's such as the 308/355 and 550 are silly money.
The more modern 360 are climbing in price and 430's are still dropping (slowly).

If the OP is keen on a Ferrari I'd strongly recommend a good few motnhs research and talk to some owners to narrow down the model and price range and where to buy one/what to look out for. My research is that they are nowhere near as unreliable as people make out but they are expensive on parts prices and labour prices even at indys is higher than a Porsche indy owing to the fact that there are fewer cars and fewer indys.

Trick to getting a reliable car as told to me by several Ferrari owners is to buy a good 'un from the outset. Don't cut corners and by a car for £5k less cos that £5k (and more) is what its going to cost you to get it in tip top condition to be reliable. But then I could probably describe Porsche ownership on a similar vein.

Beautiful cars though.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back