Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Leak question....

sebba

Hi guys - first time poster on the 964 blog.

I have a 964 with about 143k on the clock - it has given me no major problems since my ownership of about 5 years or so....

She recently sprung a leak on the power steering pump which cause it to smoke when the oil hit the heat exchangers & i got that fixed when I had her serviced.

I then took her to another garage to fix one of the heater blowers as it was ceased but they have given me further advisory that my camshaft (& chain??) gaskets are leaking as my under-tray was covered in oil (I had it cleaned at the service which was about 3 weeks ago)

I know it is difficult for anyone to ascertain how bad the leak via a write-up on the link but I had a couple of questions - i) how bad does the leak have to be before most think about doing this job ii) i also noticed that after my service, they may have over filled my oil - would this add pressure for a small leak to spit out more oil than normal (i.e. exaggerate the situation)...

Apologies for the long windness of the post but am left a little puzzled as this is my first experience with the garage so just wanted to make sure they are not just being overly meticulous

First tip, try another garage next see what they find.

When I asked for quotes, for my clutch some were 2k apart on cost.

One said manifold inlet leaks, they were tested at another garage all good.

It was a loose relay only.

Hi Sebba,
Many reasons for oil leaking, but where it's coming from is a common one to be honest. It might be the oil viscosity if it's maybe a 5 weight which could account for it. If not it's not a huge job to replace the cam chain gaskets.
I agree with See Ya, maybe time to find a garage you trust and build up a relationship with them. The mileage your at I would start to expect a few problems showing themselves.

Welcome along :thumb:

So, it seems I can't live with the embarrassment of the car smoking when I come to a stand still.....so I have decided to take it for a second/third opinion....

So do I take it to Porsche Torque or GT One>? :?:

On mine it was first diagnosed as a leak from the power steering pump, but in the end turned out to be the oil pressure sender o-ring. This is apparently one of the first if not the first to spring a leak.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back