Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Generation 991 facelift shape revealed:

carkid

Sao Paulo
Nothing too radical as expected:

It's no secret that the 'normal' 2016 Porsche 911 Carreras will feature a whole range of downsized, turbocharged motors. But imagine our surprise when this beautiful blue machine emerged for a cheeky lap of that German race track earlier today.

So what do those exhausts allude to?So what do those exhausts allude to?Up until now, the best views of the upcoming 991.2 update have been from dirty black test mules in various degrees of disguise. But this pearl blue machine looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor.
With the scheduled debut not expected until closer to the Frankfurt Show in September, we can only guess as to the reasons for Porsche choosing to lap the car in front of the cameras at the Nordschleife. Whether it's stealing another brand's thunder, or a carefully considered effort at building hype, it's probably had the right effect.

However, despite the clarity of our recent spyshots, there are still a few questions unanswered. Most obviously, what's the link between the exhaust arrangements and the power? The lower-powered motor is allegedly to be invoking the historic displacement of 2.7 litres with somewhere around 365hp, while the full power car could be 3.0 or more with 415hp. There have been two arrangements of exhaust pipes shown so far, this being the slightly wider variation. What do you think? Does a narrow arrangement signify more power, like the centre-exit GT3? Or is it the wider pipers that will show the bigger brother, as with the current Turbo?

Attachments

• 2015_07_17_19_11_51_174.jpg
    2015_07_17_19_11_51_174.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 12,377
Moved to 'General Porsche Chatter' as not many people read the 991 sub-forum.

I'll reserve proper judgement until I see one in the metal but my first impressions of this aren't great.

The original 991 was the first 911 for a while (i.e since the 3.2) that just looked 'right' to me straight away. This one just doesn't. :nooo:

VAG DNA peeping through.

From that second set of photos it's definitely the matt chrome surround to the lower PU vents that spoil it for me.

Facelifts rarely 'work', the 996.1 to 996.2 being a notable exception.

carruthers said:
I don't see any difference to the 991.1

You should have gone to Specsavers. :wink:

T8 said:

That's a strange method of Moderating.

It was put in the right bit, and not many people read it because it's not very interesting.

Now I've been forced to comment, as its in General Porsche Chatter!

PeterS said:
T8 said:

It was put in the right bit, and not many people read it because it's not very interesting.

You didn't have to bother!

I'm not sure I like it. The inner part of intakes looks to squared off which is at odds with the organic, rounded form of a 991.

T8 said:
I'll reserve proper judgement until I see one in the metal but my first impressions of this aren't great.

+1. Looks a bit bland to me from the front. Surely the 991.1 looked better?

~ Maxie :?:

PeterS said:
T8 said:

:grin:

With so few 991 owners on here my aim was to generate some more general forum conversation about the car

.......... but but it's been moved back now anyway. :roll:

Way too fussy. Especially the rear PU with the vents behind the wheels. Simple is better on a 911 IMO...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back