Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dynavin N6

Master_Betty

Silverstone
Thought I'd start a dedicated thread for the Dynavin N6 replacement for the pcm2.

Old one regarding comparisons of different head units is here: http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=99434&start=120

Overall I think it's great, and just blends right in. Yes, you can see the two units are different, but a non-Porsche owner wouldn't have a clue it's not Oem. Music quality is good - I suspect the limiting factors are general cabin noise and Bose amp/speakers. Certainly good enough, and I'm quick fussy with sound quality.

My first questions now I've had it a few weeks:

Does anyone know how to set up the music album art? I know it has the capability but there are various formats, some embedded to the music and others where you save a JPEG in a dedicated folder. I've tried a few things and only got as far as tagging the album/artist info but not got the embedded art to appear. It is also saved as a JPEG directly in the album folder.

The other niggle.... When I switch on the headlights, the sat nav doesn't switch into the night mode (dark colour palette). The palette is set up and the unit recognises the lights are on because the orange LEDs come on, but the mode doesn't switch. I have set the dimmer setting to auto, illumination. Ideas?

Hi
ive been thinking about getting one of these. how much did it cost to have installed?

thanks

If you buy from Holland (see link in the thread I copied above) its £550ish which includes the fibre optic (Bose) and canbus modules so its pretty much plug & play. I did it myself in a couple of hours one evening. Lots more info in that thread from 3 or 4 people who have done it.

Some minor setup niggles, hence my questions above, but overall its a very good solution.

Thinking of getting this unit, do you retain any of the onboard data like trip mpg etc?

Do you have a multifunction wheel and if so how well does it integrate?

Thanks in advance, and sorry I can't help with any of your questions!

Adrian

adewatson said:
Thinking of getting this unit, do you retain any of the onboard data like trip mpg etc?

Do you have a multifunction wheel and if so how well does it integrate?

Thanks in advance, and sorry I can't help with any of your questions!

Adrian

Yes, the dash computer screen thing still works for mpg, tyre pressures, oil, etc.. Only thing it doesn't do is show the navigation arrows as all of that is handled by the new sat nav unit.

Multifunction wheel works. It was one of my main criteria. Only thing that doesn't do anything is the curled 'back' arrow even though there is an equivalent symbol on many of the Dynavin screens. I've sent an enquiry on this to the dealer who are looking into it. Main thing is that the volume and track wheels work plus the phone buttons.

Great, my car is in for a 2 year major service this Monday so as long as there are no major problems I will order one next week. I will look to order one from Holland, although the website doesn't have a translate option!!

Have the suppliers been ok, assume the warranty is Europe wide?

The pcm2.1 has trip data page which includes mpg for the journey you're on, is there anything simlilar on the dynavin?

Sorry for all the questions and slightly hijacking your thread!

adewatson said:
Great, my car is in for a 2 year major service this Monday so as long as there are no major problems I will order one next week. I will look to order one from Holland, although the website doesn't have a translate option!!

Have the suppliers been ok, assume the warranty is Europe wide?

The pcm2.1 has trip data page which includes mpg for the journey you're on, is there anything simlilar on the dynavin?

Sorry for all the questions and slightly hijacking your thread!

That's ok, no one seems to know the answers anyway so I'm following it up with the dealer. Figured we should have a thread dedicated to n6 stuff so people can post setup tips / advice etc. but make sure you read the double-din thread as there is a fair amount in there too.

The n6 also has a trip, battery power, mpg page too but doesn't communicate with the car. I think it's a generic page as the software is used on other models/manufacturers. The Porsche computer and n6 don't really communicate with each other other than the steering wheel buttons but rather just let each other get on with their 'thing'.

Use google translate app on your phone for the website. Also check out the discount code they have advertised on their site (see other thread). If you run into trouble they seem to be fluent in English from the emails I've had.

My input into this thread, i fitted a N6 at the weekend, nice unit.

Mine also has the issue of the sat nav volume resetting every power cycle, other than that it seems to be a nice unit.

Album art works on mine at the moment, the album art on my tracks is stored within the ID3 tag or the mp3.

Mine sits 1mm proud, how did others solve this? The unit has threaded screws and the bracket is countersunk so there is no wiggle room?

Also how do you amend the splash screen? I have a 800x480 image i wish to use?

Very nice unit, very happy.

Thanks

Matt

Do you know what version of id3 tags you are using, and what pc software did you use to the add art to the library?

Did you sort the volume issue? Master volume resets, but the individual sat nav volume option is saved. Just look in the menus.

1mm gap, yes mine was more like 4mm. Just get a small flatblade screwdriver and lever out the two side plates further. This action pulls the unit snug into the recess. Providing the gubbins behind aren't blocking it.

Splash screen, just save the jpeg to your sd card, view it via the file manager screen, click the symbol that appears when you view it to save it as the splash screen.

AndrewM has some he may pm you. I'm on holiday on my phone so can't right now.

I'm using a free program called mp3 tag to add in the album art, I don't specially remember what version of tag is applied but I'll check.

I've set the lower level volumes, I'll recheck it tonight to see if that works and is only the master which resets

Thanks for the other help, will give it all a go at the weekend

Matt

if the N6 is still using IGO Primo or IGO8, can you not go and edit the system file on your laptop to set the default sat nav volume so its constant whenever you get in/out the car?

Master_Betty said:
Do you know what version of id3 tags you are using, and what pc software did you use to the add art to the library?

ID3 tags according to mp3tag program are "ID3v2.3"

Hope that helps

Matt

Assuming it is running iGO8/IGOPrimo, the entire software will sit on the SD card.

Once you've done a backup of the folders on to your laptop, there is a file called sys.txt that has loads of tunable parameters for the IGO nav software.

There is a massive thread on e46fanatics.com whereby the dynavin BMW owners have commented on what can be changed/fixed with the different options in the file :)

Thanks Matt.

That's interesting Slackster. The volume issue is easily solved with the sub-volume controls for want of a better term, but I'll have a read of the thread to see what else can be tweaked.

Can anyone confirm that their nav map switches over to the darker colours when headlights are switched on? Mine doesn't so just checking I need the dealer/dynavin to look into it. The leds light up so it is getting the signal.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back