Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Take 3: 996.1 C4: Update June 2017 - SOLD

thebig25

So, after my first 996 C2 and the subsequent 996 Turbo I though I'd introduce my latest 996

19157443726_f8a7929c50_z.jpg

2000 C4 in Schwarz with a savannah interior with 75k miles on it. Very lightly optioned, with only hardback seats and extended leather to write home about it. Cars got a decent history having been looked after by Northway and the previous owner traded it in against my turbo which Ray sold on SOR.

I've been over with a fine tooth comb and it is all in very decent nick. Had to sort a few problems including replacing the front top mounts and the boot strut, and a few bits of trim but nothing too testing.

I am going to mod this one a bit, I'm starting on the inside where I've done the GT3 console delete and am in the process of spraying the centre console and horseshoe in basalt to break up the savannah a bit.

I've also lowered the car on H&R springs and have some 15mm spacers waiting to go on. I'm torn between painting the centre of the wheels in body colour or going mad and getting some black OZ Allegritta's.

Bodywork wise I have just had a full paint enhancement detail with TK Detailing which has shown the paint is in frankly unbelievable condition except for the front bumper which as been resprayed by Stevie Wonder!

I will be getting a RPM CSR ducktail on the car, but am waiting until I can work out what to do at the front of the car to balance it out. I don't think the duck tail will work with a standard bumper, but maybe a GT3/Aero bumper will work. I don't want to put skirts on as I like the side lines kept simple like this:

19183642595_a8f2971609_z.jpg

Longer term I'd like to put some Recaro poles in there- Had them in a previous car and loved them.

I'm stunned at how good this is for what I paid, and how much you get for your money. Its actually too good for a station car, but the upside is that i'm not afraid to actually use it.

Lets see how this goes!

I would like to see the interior once you have done the painting.
It must seem a little underpowered after the turbo.

JKH112 said:
I would like to see the interior once you have done the painting.
It must seem a little underpowered after the turbo.

Should be done in a week or so. I'll get some pics up when its done.

It is, yes, but as I said in the last post of my Turbo thread, as much as I liked it I didn't connect with the turbo in the way I thought I would. In many ways I actually prefer the way the naturally aspirated cars drive. I'd love to try a 996 GT3 as I think that would be a sweet spot for me.

Great looking car...Liking the wheels in the 2nd photo.. What are they?

lethallegend72 said:
Great looking car...Liking the wheels in the 2nd photo.. What are they?

Not totally sure, I think they are fifteen52 formulas. Great looking but ££££!

Ok, so things are moving along. Some good stuff, some not so good.

Car is still ticking along nicely no sign of any mechanical issues. I've done the resonater delete and i'm really happy with the slight change in engine note. Still thinking about a sports exhaust though.

New black wheel bolts have arrived (got black in anticipation of the new black wheels), so I can get the spacers on at the weekend.

I've gone google images mad looking at different front bumpers and have decided which way to go. Was looking at a GT3 bumper, but having seen a few installed on cars without skirts (I don't want skirts on this car) they look a bit too deep so have decided to go for this one:

19120555110_731e0bb4f3.jpg

19281395416_ac3e17f618_b.jpg

It's the OEM aerokit from an early 2.7 Boxster. I know some may cringe at a Boxster part on a 996 but I think it will look good. It's not as deep as the GT3 but it has a nice deep frontage that sits a little lower than standard, and solves the 'underbite' issue that would have unbalanced the RPM ducktail planned for the back. Wanted to stay OEM and didn't want a GRP bumper so this ticks all the boxes. On the subject of the ducktail I've been in touch with RPM to talk about painting and fitting costs and am awaiting a quote.

In less pleasant news, I finally got my new V5 through so took off the number plates to put on my personal reg. Front went fine and tidies the front up nicely as I removed the ugly plinth and screwed the much smaller numberplate directly into lugs that held the plinth. Rear was going well until I took the plate off and found that the previous owner had had the bumper resprayed and hadn't bothered to remove the adhesive pads when they did it. Net effect is nice glossy lumps that were hidden by the plate that now show as the new plate is much shorter. Really don't understand it as the rest of the bumper is a perfect job with a great match and blend to the surrounding panels.

Oh well, I'll just have to get that redone when I do the new bumper and ducktail!

Spacers went on today.

Without:

19253757410_f64a37ce82_b.jpg

With:

19435022162_7b69ed9402_z.jpg

15mm TPI hubcentric spacers all round with Bimecc extended black bolts. Very happy with how it looks and feels no different to drive. Took it out for a spin that included some runs at various speeds and no nasty wobbles or vibrations occurred.

Very happy. New front bumper and rear bumper repair up next.

Watching this thread with interest, good work fella.

As a point of note I've just had to roll my rear arches - when I'd fitted 15mm spacers the tyres rubbed if I had rear passengers or went on a spirited drive down a bumpy road. This was worse after I'd fitted Continental SC2's which seemed to be a little wider than the previous Falken tyres.
I have aftermarket wheels, 18" but with standard offsets/widths for a C2 and standard Geo.

thebig25 said:
It's the OEM aerokit from an early 2.7 Boxster. I know some may cringe at a Boxster part on a 996 ........

Not at all. It will match the Boxster headlights perfectly. :grin:

Seriously ..... I'm looking forward to seeing it with a ducktail :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back