Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

RSR mufflers- yay or nay?

ChrisT70

Albert Park
ok so i slightly hijacked the other chaps thread by getting excited about some improved rsr mufflers. I've now emailed Gert with my details and he has none in stock just now but expects some in soon.
Having heard the sound clip and seeing it looks a fairly easy fit, should i be worrying about any boominess or resonation before i potentially spoil a very nice (but too quiet) car?

with the current cheap euro rate it only works out at £280 after you exchange cores, so its not an expensive job but obviously no going back once o.e boxes sent back to Belgium.

just looking for any comments really from RSR gutted muffler users.

I like my RSR's but I know there is 1 person here who will poo poo Gerts mod.

tbh its only gutting a pair of cans, i've had the same done on my kit car exhausts but i had access to them and a handy guy who can stainless weld. an exchange basis swap for 280 quid isnt bad tbh considering postage etc. have seen some sound clips of aftermarket cans and they sound great but are not cheap by any means. just wondering if any major downsides.

Personally I like them a lot on my car. I think they sound great and really suit it.

They're quite loud when you stand next to it at idle, but when it's on the move it's not intrusive (there's more wind noise than exhaust noise at motorway speeds for e.g.).

I would say in terms of volume they're comparable to PSE on a 991. Maybe a bit quieter on the overrun but louder at idle.

Had mine for several years. Highly recommended. Coupled with the Motorsound air box, they make the 993 sound like it should.

yay, and they are a lot lighter in weight.

+1 re the air box, well worth the money.

for sure these will enhance that distinctive sound, the one delivered by air-cooled :mrgreen:

I need to hear a car that's been RSR'd. I presume it must be a lot more refined than the 'hack' I did to the mufflers
I welded in 2" stainless bypass pipes to each muffler and as much as I like the sound it is far too loud at tick over for my daily driver. You can't hold a conversation with someone next to the car at idle, so I need to find a way of taking some of the volume back out.
Think I've figured out how.

Sport airbox
RSRs
Wayne remap

The perfect sound for a na 993 :thumb:

Not seen the other thread referred to but have you seen my journal vids for the comparable sounds ps more realistic if you listen on something with some base

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=82158&start=558

BenC said:
I need to hear a car that's been RSR'd. I presume it must be a lot more refined than the 'hack' I did to the mufflers
I welded in 2" stainless bypass pipes to each muffler and as much as I like the sound it is far too loud at tick over for my daily driver. You can't hold a conversation with someone next to the car at idle, so I need to find a way of taking some of the volume back out.
Think I've figured out how.
Smaller diameter pipe?

Figure I need to reduce the 'diameter of the airflow' so thought I could cut a slot in the pipe and insert a plate, which I could weld in place and therefore reducing the volume transfer and long with that the Db level.

Thought that might be easier than cutting out the 2", welding plates over both sides, then fitting a smaller dia tube.

Got to do something as I'm not happy with the way it sounds at the mo!

Hi Ben,

it's definitely the width of the bypass pipe at 2 inches causing the ear bleed - I have Fister 2s on at present, not too loud and no droning - the bypass is 1.75 inches.

Bob

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back