Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New 911 GTS or used Turbo / S?

Mark Strong

I was thinking of buying 911 GTS and found this tread very helpful - Buy a 991 GTS now or wait for the facelifted 991? - http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=102962

Spec wise it must be similar to the one described here: "Goodbye 997.2 C2S, but hello 991 GTS" - http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=102076 . Maybe with an addition of ACC and PCCB...

As we are talking about £120K (list price), there may be an option to go for either used or even approved used 911 Turbo or even Turbo S, about 12-24 months old with up to 15K miles, I found 63-reg 911 Turbo S for £117K.

Now I cannot decide what option I should go for... The GTS will be spec'ed up how I like it, alcantara, GTS package, remote possibility to have a future classic (the last non-Turbo 911) etc etc BUT the owning a Turbo sound very appealing as well!...

Maybe I am missing something here? What would you personally go for and why?

PS GT3, unfortunately, is not an option as I do need four seats, other wise I will not be able to drive it at all (no time)...

Thank you.

I will tell you what I would do. I would drive both and then make a decision. Sorry if that doesn't help much.

MC

MisterCorn said:
I will tell you what I would do. I would drive both and then make a decision.

+1

~ Maxie

Mark first welcome :thumbs:

Based on sound logic and man maths Turbo all the way for these reasons...

If you drive both you're going to go for the Turbo

You hint you want a turbo in your post

Buying a new 991 isn't the best decision depreciation wise, buy wisely and someone else has taken the big initial hit

Let's say you go for a turbo S it's as fast as anything out there, it's in hyper car territory for a fraction of the cost of a hyper at, small boys will stare in wonder as you drive by

Turbo!!!

The 991 Turbos just look 'right' :Dance-Tap: :Dance-Tap:

Thank you all.

Test Drive both models! This is what I have been missing! The pleasure of driving! Is it not the main reason we want to own a Porsche?... It has been my dream since I was about 15 and now the dream may come true...

spongebob squarepants, I certainly am aware of the initial depreciation hit that comes with buying a new car but having the car to be exactly you want it to be is quite appealing as well. I was 100% sure I want a GTS but then saw a reasonably :) priced Turbo S and got confused. Will need to go back to the dealer and take it for a spin.

When I compare GTS (with my imaginary spec) and approved used Turbos on Porsche website, I think I prefer GTS, especially with GTS package. It may be just my perception but Turbo's are usually spec'ed up for a... how to say it?.. matured gentleman... :) No offence. They are usually either white, black or silver with black leather interior... It may take quite a while to find the right one.

Mark Strong said:
Thank you all.

Test Drive both models! This is what I have been missing! The pleasure of driving! Is it not the main reason we want to own a Porsche?... It has been my dream since I was about 15 and now the dream may come true...

spongebob squarepants, I certainly am aware of the initial depreciation hit that comes with buying a new car but having the car to be exactly you want it to be is quite appealing as well. I was 100% sure I want a GTS but then saw a reasonably :) priced Turbo S and got confused. Will need to go back to the dealer and take it for a spin.

When I compare GTS (with my imaginary spec) and approved used Turbos on Porsche website, I think I prefer GTS, especially with GTS package. It may be just my perception but Turbo's are usually spec'ed up for a... how to say it?.. matured gentleman... :) No offence. They are usually either white, black or silver with black leather interior... It may take quite a while to find the right one.

You may want to take it a bit gentle when you take them 'out for a spin ' ...us 'matured gentlemen' have learned to drive them over a number of years so that they don't bite and also being a 'mature gentleman' ..I didn't need to ask anyone else what I should buy and didn't find myself confused at all when I took my turbo S out of the dealers for 'a spin'... But maybe that's the younger generation for ya ..!! 😎😎
Good luck son.....if in doubt... Ask your Grandad !!

All tongue in cheek of course ...!

T

Mark Strong said:
911TEL said:
Good luck son.....if in doubt... Ask your Grandad !!
Thank you. Where is that Like button?.. :)

Haha... Seriously once you try the turbo ...there is no choice to make .....

Let us know how you get on ..

T

£120K for a GTS way too much :eek:, so second-hand Turbo or Turbo S would be the only choice. :lol:

For that money..join the 'Mature gentleman's' club!

Think no more my friend :grin:

I've been called many things over the years, but mature has never been one of them - turbo s all day long...

OP...have we made your mind up yet?

Any progress?

' Mature gent from the North'

Hello again!
First of all, I would like to thank you all for your help and advice. It really helped me to make a decision!

I test drove a Turbo last week and found it very very fast, comfortable and smooth. It was absolutely perfect! Just jump into the driver's seat and drive to... does not matter where as soon as it is far far far from home.
Perfect grand cruiser!
I also checked all the usual second hand car sources, shortlisted and came to see a couple of them and...

Well, this will be my very first Porsche, I want it to be exactly like I want it to be, I still need to learn how to drive a sports car properly, I.. may need to enter the world of Porsche from the front entrance and start from a beginning, I still want to dream about something_Porsche to keep me motivated.
If I buy a Turbo now, I will have to compromise on the spec / trim / colour but, no doubt, I will still be happy... What is next? Where is the progression? I still want to have a dream. 918 (or its successor) will be unaffordable. Classic Porsche (356 or early 1970s 911)? Maybe.

Taking all the above into account, I have made a decision to order a new 911 GTS.
I believe 911 GTS will be perfect for me. The customer spec will make me happy, the noise and the RWD will give me the Porsche experience (the Turbo is probably too smooth). 991 GTS will be the last naturally aspirated Porsche and can potentially become a future classic...
And then, in a couple of years time, when I have fulfilled my childhood dream and had enough time to `live with a Porsche`, I may decide to go up in Porsche food chain and get a Turbo. Also, by that time it will be clear where Porsche is going engine wise.

Chris Harris has summarised it well (I actually read the article AFTER I ordered the car so his comment did not influence my decision):
"A Turbo S is faster, and a GT3 has a more exciting engine, but 430hp and a manual gearbox with a slightly tauter chassis than a C2S makes the GTS a perfect blend for those who want to enjoy those rare opportunities to go fast, but still maintain enough civility for everyday chores. And you can't get rear seats in a GT3.
Read more at https://grrc.goodwood.com/road/driv...od-is-the-porsche-991-gts#5dRDP3x3vZ1o8vZJ.99 "

I did not go crazy on the spec, full details to follow. The car has been ordered and will be delivered in September.

PS ...oh maybe I am not mature enough yet... :)

Attachments

• img_2717_344.jpg
    img_2717_344.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 12,040
That was always going to be a tough decision...
Congrats and looking forward to hearing of your experiences in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back