Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bumpy ride

FXT

Trainee
Hi Everyone,

As always, hoping someone can shed some light on a niggle that's driving me crazy.

Recently started noticing that the ride has become quite firm, whenever the car goes over something remotely uneven, especially the back wheels. There's also audible thud as if there's 'something in the boot or backseat'. Took it to OPC, they can't seem to work it out, just blaming it on wear and tear. They mentioned that one of the back tyre is punctured but no leak, but they don't believe this has anything to do with noise / poor ride quality.

The car just feels ridiculously uncomfortable as soon as the road surface is anything other than perfectly smooth.

Any ideas?
Greatly appreciated.

I used to have a 991S and the ride was never smooth, but as you say bumpy on slightly rough surfaces :)

Have a C4S. As the tyres have worn (now 2.5mm rear and 4mm front), have indeed noticed that the secondary ride has deteriorated on anything other than the smoothest tarmac.

Maybe it is just the effect of worn rubber. :?:

Am hoping new tyres will fully restore my secondary ride on all grades of road surface. May work for you too.

Will have the tyres checked out, but I assumed if they were the issue, the OPC would've caught it.

One of the overriding memories of my recent test drive in a 991 was how good the ride was. I remember comparing it to the wife's Jaguar XF. Sounds like there's something wrong with yours.

So finally get OPC to look into the issue. They keep it overnight with one of the test driver and come back to say there is puncture on the rear passenger wheel but it's not losing site, still would recommend replacing. Think that might be the issue. So I replace the wheel and get the car back with clean bill of health. Except, the car is moreorlesss exactly the same.

Pissed for what was an useless investigation. Two days later, I get the warning 'Oil Level below minimum'. A day later, I top up the engine oil and literally within 10 minutes of drive, the car just starts driving as smooth as new. Every bump on the road, it just glides over.

WTF! I'm gobsmacked. Two weeks, it's good as gold. I'm amazed this seems to have been the root cause.

Does this make sense??

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back