Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I knows its not a Porker but BMW Z3 cheap weekend car

wilpert

I use my Cayman S as a daily driver but I fancy something with the top down now and again.
I've had a 996 cab and didn't want to go for a Boxster for everyday car.

So I have thought about a well cared for Z3
Anybody had one or know much about em?

my other option would be a Mazda MX5?

Having similar thoughts...........early Z4's are quite cheep too......... :dont know:

Or I could have another S2000........... :?:

Depends how cheap you want but MGTF 160 is as cheap as chips (circa £1500-£1800 for a good one). Nice wind in the hair motoring and no slouch either.

S2000! :rocker:

My son has an MX-5 and that's good fun, like going back to driving a 2 seater uk car from the 70s (Triumphs, MGs, etc.) but without the headache.

He paid £1700 for his 52 plate and it's been great.

know nothing about Z3's sorry, but can hugely recommend an MX-5. Just brilliant cars. My wife had a Mk3 for a while and once it had been fettled a bit (suspension, mainly) it's the only car I've driven that's given me similar driving pleasure to the Porsche, and a lot easier within the constraints of the law to wring its neck to get the best out of it too.

my missus had an MX5 special edition and I liked it, except no AC and I roasted on the M25.

My draw to the BMW Z3 is purely on looks, I like the little grilles on the side and the compactness (is that a word :dont know: )

I saw one on Autotrader, albeit a cat d but very cheap 2 owner car and they said damage was bonnet crunch so no big deal and owned for 5 years since.

I'm getting tempted but not sure what to look out for with these cars :?:

Edit: I did say little grilles on the side above didn't I (I had to check - I'm not a perv) :oops:

With the Z3, it depends on which one you are looking at. The four cylinder ones are very underwhelming to drive as it has 4 cylinder 3 series mechanicals. I haven't driven the sixes and the M which would have more welly.

MK1 MX-5 from 1992 onwards (the first 200,000 from 1989-1992 had a dodgy crankshaft bolt which meant care was required when changing the cambelt) are great fun to drive. You can buy MX-5s with or without power steering, it's personal preference. Avoid the 1.6 litre from 1994-1997 as it has a 88hp engine, thus slower than a bank manager buying a round of drinks. In UK water gets trapped in the door sills and they rust so inspect the sills for rust (costs about £500 to repair).

The MK 2, MK2.5 are more refined, and depends if refinement over fun is your cup of tea.

As i know its going to happen soon, you could always buy this. All the scary stuff like head gasket done and pulling around 170bhp after remap, exhaust etc which in something that weighs the same as a bean can is pretty fast + mid engined handling :D

Attachments

• dsc_0054_800x450_112.jpg
    dsc_0054_800x450_112.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 11,973
I had a 3.0 Z3 before moving to Porsches. Lovely car, and better than most people think. The 3.0 is the to aim for if you went for a Z. It's a great engine, mega smooth, quick, and makes a great sound.

Attachments

• z3rear_195.jpg
    z3rear_195.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 11,927
  • z3int_180.jpg
    z3int_180.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 11,927
  • z3front_101.jpg
    z3front_101.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 11,927
always thought the z3 looked very hairdresser like! although I loved the looks of the z3 coupe
but quite like the looks of the z4

From me, predictably, a S2000!

Mine....

2-FrontIMG_2457.jpg

3-FrontIMG_2528.jpg

4-FrontIMG_2487.jpg

5-RearIMG_2492.jpg

6-RearIMG_2499.jpg

7-RearIMG_2507.jpg

10-FrontIMG_2523.jpg

18-CloseRearWheelIMG_2512.jpg

Every hairdresser should own one, mine pushes c350bhp through the rear wheels :grin:

I'll take a straight 6 BMW ///M engine over a Honda Vtech any day (and yes I've had an S2000 and a few type R's)

z3m roady are really starting to rise in value as they where so undervalued. The S54 engines are safe cars to run for free, they only made 73 in RHD worldwide (mine is 1of 4 in Imola red).

More info here on what is one of the rarest and undervalued BMW (which just happens to be a hoot to drive ).....

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34517

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back