Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

fuel tank capacity

newby911

sorry if I'm being stupid but trying to familiarise my self with my new car by reading the manual, now I know thats not what you guys do!
in the manual it states the fuel tank is 64litres with 10litres reserve, does that mean 74 in total or what? Help please.
Julie

Which model ? if my memory is correct 996 is 64 litres, and the "reserve" (I.E the fuel warning) comes on at 10 litres, so, 64 total.

If it is a 4wd ( 4s/turbo) be aware that once you get below (around) 1/3 tank the gauge is working on "memory" due to the strange shape of the tank, and that unless you put more than around half a tank total when filling up, the gauge won't move from the position you had before you put the extra in (again due to the strange tank shape/position of the sensors)

Sorry, see you posted in 991 forum, some (or all ) of the above may be totally irrelevant.

Thank you, it's a 991 Carrera I would always fill up, but just wondered what the reserve meant, I used to have a 55 year old merc which had a reserve tank, so I knew I had a further supply, but if the light comes on around 10 litres left I will know I need to find somewhere quick!

Doesn't it tell you in the owners manual ? 996 manual has that info, I know I know, men don't read manuals, we prefer to park at the side of the road in the middle of the night . . . out of gas :grin: sorry, I forgot, you are a Lass, so you have already taken the sensible 1st step & opened "the book "

I was thinking info regarding when the fuel light comes on, as you already covered their rather roundabout way to explain the capacity of the tank (how to complicate the simple Eh ? how many bloody litres does it hold Hermann ? )

The way i,m reading it is that its 64ltrs in total, the 10 ltr reserve is included in this....

Attachments

• pg_265_chart_1_124.jpg
    pg_265_chart_1_124.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 6,742
It is 64 litres. But I've crammed 67l in with 10m still showing on range, but that's including the spout.
Not sure why it's important though. Just fill up when the remaining range gets below your comfort level.
You should get a range of 250-270m if you're urban, or thrashing it, and up to high 400's on a long run at motorway speeds.

My fuel warning light typically comes on at "45-50 miles remaining" in the tank, which is crudely 10 litres or 2 gallons.

Have seen as low as "5 miles remaining" on the read-out, which is not a good place to be!! :eek:

Does the 991 (or 997 for that mater ) suffer from the "saddle tank" problem afflicting the 4wd996 ((well 2 problems, the one of it going into "memory" rather than reading when fuel goes below a certain level & the failure to read added fuel unless exceeding a certain amount ) or did Porsche learn from the 996 & install additional/differently placed senders.

the other me said:
Does the 991 (or 997 for that mater ) suffer from the "saddle tank" problem afflicting the 4wd996 ((well 2 problems, the one of it going into "memory" rather than reading when fuel goes below a certain level & the failure to read added fuel unless exceeding a certain amount ) or did Porsche learn from the 996 & install additional/differently placed senders.

Had a 997.2 C4S with the "saddle tank" quirk. :what:

Seems to have been finally solved with the advent of the 991 C4S. :lol:

cambsguy said:
The way i,m reading it is that its 64ltrs in total, the 10 ltr reserve is included in this....
Thanks for the info, if my handbook had read just like that I wouldn't have seemed so dense but mine just stated,
Approx 64 litres, with a reserve of approx 10 litres.
So much for updating the manuals for the better??
I'll try to make sure it never gets too low, but as we are planning touring a lot want to make sure we're not in the middle of nowhere without fuel.

Many of the rear (2) wheel drive beasties used to have the very sensible option of a 92 (I think ) litre tank. Helps the handling & removes the range anxiety. Don't know if it still features in the option list, as I am not quite so sad/demented to spend time there optioning something I can't afford.

64 litres is not much good in a lot of these if you are "on it".

Nah :what: that's no fun, just make sure your NAV/GPS shows where the gas stations are.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back