Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 19
997 : 2004- 76
996 : 1997-2005 35
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 3
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 1
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 0
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 21
Cayman : 2005- 16
Cayenne : 2003- 3
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 2
912-914-924-928-944-968 2
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Kimbo
Paul Ricard


Joined: 05 May 2011
Posts: 3480
Location: East Sussex


PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HPNer wrote:


It now starts life again, as I always said it would, as my daily driver . . .

bye


What a brilliant last sentence.



I wish you well, you mad Maverick. The world needs people like you Thumb
_________________
Porsches - all gone.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
madalaa
Fuji


Joined: 13 Mar 2008
Posts: 9423
Location: West London

2009 Porsche Boxster 987

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"And not without a little expense" ......... Surely that is an understatement ......... I shudder to think how much you have spent on your car ...... I applaud your tenacity and vision.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Riviera Bob
Nürburgring


Joined: 07 Nov 2013
Posts: 462
Location: France


PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimbo wrote:
HPNer wrote:


It now starts life again, as I always said it would, as my daily driver . . .

bye


What a brilliant last sentence.



I wish you well, you mad Maverick. The world needs people like you Thumb


Indeed - fantastic result....and attitude!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Lordglenmorangie
Nürburgring


Joined: 14 Mar 2012
Posts: 398
Location: Yorkshire


PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just seen this thread , stunning doesn't start to describe your car . My thoughts are why buy a new car when you can do this to the best 911 Porsche made Very Happy
In 1996 I had a 993 in Turquoise which is slightly darker . It was a OPC demonstrator with tech art kit and speed line wheels , I belive it was the only one in the UK that colour WHY DID I SELL IT ! Question
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
LondonRob
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Posts: 316
Location: West London


PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see this on the Dinslaken trip Cool
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
HPNer
Hockenheim


Joined: 25 Jun 2014
Posts: 734
Location: Jolly Boyos Country


PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collected the car from Ninemeister in Warrington yesterday after they fitted the new Lightweight Flywheel and associated bits and bobs, including Wayne's remap, new discs and pads all round and full geo set up.
Wow!!! What a revelation.
1. The engine justs sings up and down without the extra rotational inertia of the DMF, simply fab! Absolutely NO stalling issues, so as long as the rest of your engine management is tip top (dizzys, leads, coils, plugs, sensors etc. on mine all now pretty much new!) there is nothing to fear in that department.
2. This could be just my imagination, but the RS short shifter and goldenrod linkage, seems to provide an even better experience, so that the whole transmission system feels criso and factory fresh. The MPL clutch slave makes the tedious towny bits fine too. But once I was back in Wales and in its home environment, the car just came into its own.
3. The geo set up is now perfect, MO33 and Bilsteins with ideal tracking allowing the car to power through the most demanding twisties in Mid-Wales , pure pleasure. Highly illegal speeds. I feel sorry for all of you lot living in the SouthEast. Grin
4. Wayne's remap has made the power of an already strong engine, so so linear, pulling like a train through to the redline. Hugely addictive.

Top marks to Colin Belton and his team at 9m! Their attention to detail is second to none.

The car is now PERFECT, PERFECT, PERFECT!!!!

Thumb Thumb Thumb
_________________
Today, I shall mostly be driving my 993 . . .
-------
You've bought the ticket, so take the ride . . .
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
IMI A
Suzuka


Joined: 02 Aug 2014
Posts: 1173
Location: KHI


PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HPNer wrote:
Collected the car from Ninemeister in Warrington yesterday after they fitted the new Lightweight Flywheel and associated bits and bobs, including Wayne's remap, new discs and pads all round and full geo set up.
Wow!!! What a revelation.
1. The engine justs sings up and down without the extra rotational inertia of the DMF, simply fab! Absolutely NO stalling issues, so as long as the rest of your engine management is tip top (dizzys, leads, coils, plugs, sensors etc. on mine all now pretty much new!) there is nothing to fear in that department.
2. This could be just my imagination, but the RS short shifter and goldenrod linkage, seems to provide an even better experience, so that the whole transmission system feels criso and factory fresh. The MPL clutch slave makes the tedious towny bits fine too. But once I was back in Wales and in its home environment, the car just came into its own.
3. The geo set up is now perfect, MO33 and Bilsteins with ideal tracking allowing the car to power through the most demanding twisties in Mid-Wales , pure pleasure. Highly illegal speeds. I feel sorry for all of you lot living in the SouthEast. Grin
4. Wayne's remap has made the power of an already strong engine, so so linear, pulling like a train through to the redline. Hugely addictive.

Top marks to Colin Belton and his team at 9m! Their attention to detail is second to none.

The car is now PERFECT, PERFECT, PERFECT!!!!

Thumb Thumb Thumb


I'm well jell and always look at this thread whenever you post. I'm also very upset whenever you post and do not post a pic too lol! Very Happy
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
tp81
Suzuka


Joined: 04 Mar 2010
Posts: 1186
Location: Glasgow

1997 Porsche 993 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your car sounds awesome. It's an enjoyable process getting it to exactly where you want it to be. Always makes me gel with the car.

Can I ask, did Wayne do the remap at Ninemiester? I would love to have this done at some point along with some refinement of the suspension (longer terms stuff). The GT2 stiff axle kit is on the wish list after a long conversation with Colin.
_________________
1971 Alfa GT 1300 Junior
1973 911E (restoration project)
1995 993 RS
2013 110 Defender
2018 Panamera Hybrid
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
HPNer
Hockenheim


Joined: 25 Jun 2014
Posts: 734
Location: Jolly Boyos Country


PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMI A wrote:


I'm well jell and always look at this thread whenever you post. I'm also very upset whenever you post and do not post a pic too lol! Very Happy


Pic from today's outing, the current Mrs HPNer at the wheel, loving it and driving it with gusto on the beautiful Welsh backroads, quite different to her PDK'd 981 and by jove, she's getting the hang of it, redlining it everywhere! Grin
Wet and a little miserable weather, but hey . . . when you're in one of these it's always a sunny day!
All those with parked up for the winter 993s eat your hearts out . . .! You're all missing a trick. The car is simply made for days like this . . Thumb
_________________
Today, I shall mostly be driving my 993 . . .
-------
You've bought the ticket, so take the ride . . .
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
 



wing . . ..jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  200.18 KB
 Viewed:  6010 Time(s)

wing . . ..jpg


  
View user's profile Send private message
   
HPNer
Hockenheim


Joined: 25 Jun 2014
Posts: 734
Location: Jolly Boyos Country


PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tp81 wrote:
Your car sounds awesome. It's an enjoyable process getting it to exactly where you want it to be. Always makes me gel with the car.

Can I ask, did Wayne do the remap at Ninemiester? I would love to have this done at some point along with some refinement of the suspension (longer terms stuff). The GT2 stiff axle kit is on the wish list after a long conversation with Colin.


Colin arranged for the car to go to Wayne whilst it was in at 9m, I think Wayne uses 9m's old premises, but don't quote me on that. But Wayne has done a great job, very linear power delivery and good flat (and fat) torque.

What Colin doesn't know about these cars is probably not worth knowing, a genuinely good guy with whom one could talk to for hours. Thoroughly recommended.

I'm not a DIYer when it comes to the car, I'll phaff around with my motorcycles, but not my car, I'll leave that to the professionals, and boy was it worth it!

David at Southbound, Sam at Impact at Precision and finally Colin (and Wayne) at Ninemeister . . . verily the Holy Trinity!!
Thumb
_________________
Today, I shall mostly be driving my 993 . . .
-------
You've bought the ticket, so take the ride . . .
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
IMI A
Suzuka


Joined: 02 Aug 2014
Posts: 1173
Location: KHI


PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HPNer wrote:
IMI A wrote:


I'm well jell and always look at this thread whenever you post. I'm also very upset whenever you post and do not post a pic too lol! Very Happy


Pic from today's outing, the current Mrs HPNer at the wheel, loving it and driving it with gusto on the beautiful Welsh backroads, quite different to her PDK'd 981 and by jove, she's getting the hang of it, redlining it everywhere! Grin
Wet and a little miserable weather, but hey . . . when you're in one of these it's always a sunny day!
All those with parked up for the winter 993s eat your hearts out . . .! You're all missing a trick. The car is simply made for days like this . . Thumb




For me yours has to be one of the nicest 993 in the UK. Just amazing and lovely to see the wheels being driven off it even more so by your other half - which does she prefer lol? thumbsup
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Kimbo
Paul Ricard


Joined: 05 May 2011
Posts: 3480
Location: East Sussex


PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff Phil. You deserve it.

Thumb
_________________
Porsches - all gone.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
wpozzz99zSS
Monza


Joined: 07 Sep 2014
Posts: 197
Location: London


PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HPNer it sounds like your car has been taken to the next level.

What next, or are you happy with it for now?

Tom, I assume you are referring to the solid rear subframe mounts from the GT2?

As a road car, I wouldn't bother, you may get a bit more vibration, they are noticeable on track when you are leaning on the car through a tight turn, with sticky rubber.
To get any performance benefit on the road, you would have to be driving very hard.
I had them on a previous RS, didn't bother with the upgrade(?) on this one.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
sparky1pq
Spa-Francorchamps


Joined: 16 Jul 2011
Posts: 291
Location: North West

1996 Porsche 993 Carrera 4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read the whole thread.

Excellent, enjoy it!
_________________
993 C4 - Polar Silver
BMW 5 Series - Unwashed
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Riviera Bob
Nürburgring


Joined: 07 Nov 2013
Posts: 462
Location: France


PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, as I've said many times before....fantastic!

Been meaning to ask re your car history....knowing your attitude along with the 3 year gaps between the SCs and 3.2, I'm guessing they were all daily drivers in their day, along with the 997. But...gulp...was the 73RS also a daily, or even in those days....too special!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
HPNer
Hockenheim


Joined: 25 Jun 2014
Posts: 734
Location: Jolly Boyos Country


PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMI A wrote:



For me yours has to be one of the nicest 993 in the UK. Just amazing and lovely to see the wheels being driven off it even more so by your other half - which does she prefer lol? thumbsup


Well surprisingly, I think mine probably just edges it for her driving wise. She's not a bad peddler and a fast motorcyclist too, she smiled a lot more behind the wheel of the 911 than the 981. Couple of yelps too! But, for her, the PDK and the roof coming off will take it in all other respects.



Riviera Bob wrote:
Phil, as I've said many times before....fantastic!

Been meaning to ask re your car history....knowing your attitude along with the 3 year gaps between the SCs and 3.2, I'm guessing they were all daily drivers in their day, along with the 997. But...gulp...was the 73RS also a daily, or even in those days....too special!


Yep, all daily drivers Bob, including the RS. It was a Swiss car (part converted to RSR with rolled front wings etc) and had been around the block a bit when I bought it, had been raced on the European circuit and then (sort of) converted back to road use. At the time, I know this is hard to understand given the mythological status these cars now have, but I saw it as a bit of a hack. I remember it was hugely expensive on parts when they became necessary (so no change there!) and at night globs of flame would pop out of the exhaust on the overrun. It wasn't particularly civilised even by the standards of the day, but I'd been a petrol head since as long as I could remember and was quite comfortable with its little idiosyncrasies. I put a lot of mileage on that car and a couple of Le Mans trips too.
Having said that, if I recall correctly, I put 50k plus on the other 911s too, apart from a rash moment when I had a 1965 Lotus 7 in the stable for a short time in 1979, I was a one car at a time man, although I did also have a Rockwell 112 TC-A, but that's another story.... Grin
If I have a moment, I'll dig out a pic.
_________________
Today, I shall mostly be driving my 993 . . .
-------
You've bought the ticket, so take the ride . . .
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Riviera Bob
Nürburgring


Joined: 07 Nov 2013
Posts: 462
Location: France


PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I asked, was my neighbour tells me he had a 73RS as a daily driver in Munich back in the day....assures me he just used it as a normal car, popping to the shops etc etc....sold it in 1980 for a very normal second hand car type price, because he found it ...surprise, surprise....too raw!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
wpozzz99zSS
Monza


Joined: 07 Sep 2014
Posts: 197
Location: London


PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting point HPN'er as to how the RS has gained an almost mythical aura.
I was always going to get one based on solido models I had growing up.
I looked at them in the late '90's and many were just used, tired cars not far off of 20 years old. You could buy one then for £35-50k, which was a lot compared to the best 2.4S appearing to be under £20k.

I bought a 3.2CS instead to use as a daily driver, it had < 1/2 the miles for half the money and at the time I honestly thought I had the better car!

I have driven a few 2.7RS over the years and it is one of my favourites, it's just incredible that we seem to actually enjoy total absorption of the hype.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
wozy
Österreich


Joined: 06 Feb 2013
Posts: 889
Location: Worcestershire


PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riviera Bob wrote:
The reason I asked, was my neighbour tells me he had a 73RS as a daily driver in Munich back in the day....assures me he just used it as a normal car, popping to the shops etc etc....sold it in 1980 for a very normal second hand car type price, because he found it ...surprise, surprise....too raw!



Not quite an RS story, but it goes to show how times and values have changed.

A customer of mine through the company he then worked for, was offered basically any company car (within reason) he wished back in 1973, so he went for a 2.4S. Seven weeks later and a week from his delivery date the RS was revealed. He was gutted as he wanted the fastest thing out there from Porsche but it was too late to change.

When he left his job a few years later (I think he was QS) part of the deal was that he kept the car.

He sold the 2.4 to start up his own business and bought a brand new Mini van with the proceeds.....
_________________
Porsche Cars of Great Britain launched the 993 in the UK in early December 1993 registering 12 x UK cars on the 6th & 7th of that month; mine is one of them.

993 C2. MBM. C4 mounts, RSRs, RS Short shifter. RS steering wheel. FSDs & M033s
Previous 2.7S, 3.2, 964 and 968CS
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
cableguy
Kyalami


Joined: 10 Sep 2007
Posts: 1968
Location: North Yorkshire


PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now had time to read through this thread and the car is a credit to you good man. Wink

Jokingly you jib about the cars value, however the reality is that most enthusiasts and owners who actually drive their cars would no doubt take this/your car over a low mileage garage queen every time.

I hope to bring my recent purchase (993) upto a similar standard over the next few months & years and will do my best to drive the car in a similar fashion.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to future updates.

C.
_________________
Pork!
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 17 of 19

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum