Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Thermostat Update

decgraham

Hi All,

Took the car out this morning for a spirited run, top down blue skies and sunshine :D Car is actually running cooler than it used to so I believe the thermostat had not been opening fully for a while.

ATB :)

:thumb:

decgraham: - my 993 has just started getting much hotter. I thought it was just a fan problem but actually now suspect that the thermostat isn't working.

Can I ask how hot your 993 was getting in traffic etc prior to your thermostat fix? Mine if left to it's own devices is now going above 10 o'clock with little provocation but has not actually overheated - even in heavy traffic. Grateful for any thoughts!

Hi pierrebear,

Have a look at my post here:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=102753&highlight=thermostat

and here:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=102732&highlight=thermostat

My car was getting up to the 10 O'Clock mark but only on a longer run. The post explains the symptoms I had. The fix was not difficult and the parts are shown in GR post and the attached pics. You just need to drain the oil tank remove the circlip (item 11) that holds the lid in (item8) remove the innards and replace with new. Re fitting is the reverse, I had to use a little pressure to get the lid back in though. After that the car was fine. If you watch the temperature gauge creep up as you drive after about 15Kms you should see the temperature gauge go up just above 9 O'Clock and then drop below 9 O'Clock, this is the indicator that the thermostat has opened.

The parts by the way were €50.80 including shipping and VAT to Spain from Parts-Wise back in 2015.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• thermostat_innards_old_135.jpg
    thermostat_innards_old_135.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 2,516
  • thermostat_innards_new_978.jpg
    thermostat_innards_new_978.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 2,516
  • inside_of_thermostat_199.jpg
    inside_of_thermostat_199.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 2,516
  • thermostat_327.jpg
    thermostat_327.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 2,516
That's brilliant. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly - I don't trust myself enough just yet to do this but will get the parts ordered and get it booked in with an Indy ASAP. Cheers.

pierrebear said:
That's brilliant. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly - I don't trust myself enough just yet to do this but will get the parts ordered and get it booked in with an Indy ASAP. Cheers.

You're welcome :thumb: good luck I hope you get it sorted. If the thermostat is opening, the fan is running correctly, you have the right amount of oil in the engine you should have cool oil :thumb:

By way of update, I had this done. Thanks very much indeed, Graham. Something had got stuck in there - some form of rubber seal type thing and no idea where it could have come from. Seeing as front was off anyway for testing the fan, I had a new ballast resistor put in (old one cracked completely) and a temp sensor on the oil rad too.

Doesn't get above 9pm on the dash now. :D

pierrebear said:
By way of update, I had this done. Thanks very much indeed, Graham. Something had got stuck in there - some form of rubber seal type thing and no idea where it could have come from. Seeing as front was off anyway for testing the fan, I had a new ballast resistor put in (old one cracked completely) and a temp sensor on the oil rad too.

Good to hear that you got it sorted :thumb: and very wise to change the ballast resistor while the front PU was off however did you change the A/C one too, it's worth it.

I must confess I didn't change the AC one at the same time. Not so much laziness as wanting to be back in the car ASAP - air con is working well for the time being, touch wood :oops:

pierrebear said:
I must confess I didn't change the AC one at the same time. Not so much laziness as wanting to be back in the car ASAP - air con is working well for the time being, touch wood :oops:

Lets hope it doesn't fail in the near future. Trust me when you take these cars apart it's best to replace known failure items that are now 23 years old, I learnt the hard way :nooo:

decgraham said:
pierrebear said:

Lets hope it doesn't fail in the near future. Trust me when you take these cars apart it's best to replace known failure items that are now 23 years old, I learnt the hard way :nooo:

Agree with the above, a good proportion of the total cost of my rebuild has been replacing such items

Trev

pierrebear said:

If the temp gets that high it would suggest the low speed fan is not working even though the balast resistor has been changed. Had the same issue and it was the CCU at fault. High speed was working ok.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back