Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 GT3 or Cayman GT4?

fiberoptic

High spec GT4 is about £20k less then the 997.2 GT3 as it currently stands.

Which one will be more fun on the track and general driving?

Please share your thoughts - what would you rather get?

Very different cars to drive one being rear engined and the other mid engined. I'm surprised this question gets asked as they're so different to drive. :eh!:

fiberoptic said:
High spec GT4 is about £20k less then the 997.2 GT3 as it currently stands.

Something of a moot point given that they have sold all of the GT4s coming into the country as of the day it was announced, so it isn't as if you can buy one. But if you are into hypotheticals - IMHO the GT4 is only a car that you would buy in addition to a GT3, not instead of :thumb:

Impossible to call...unless you have both !.... on a finance issue..and long
term values etc..well that's another matter !. 8)

Like others have said they are all sold. If you were looking to buy one now you'd be looking at paying a premium on top of the original price.

Personally and based on never have driven either car, I'd choose the GT4. It's a brand new car, so has all the mod cons of a new car. Also it's mid engined and I started off in Boxsters and I really love the mid engined car. And lastly, I really don't like that rear spoiler on the 997 GT3.1. I know that sounds like a silly reason to not like that car but there you have it.

isysman said:
Like others have said they are all sold. If you were looking to buy one now you'd be looking at paying a premium on top of the original price.

Personally and based on never have driven either car, I'd choose the GT4. It's a brand new car, so has all the mod cons of a new car. Also it's mid engined and I started off in Boxsters and I really love the mid engined car. And lastly, I really don't like that rear spoiler on the 997 GT3.1. I know that sounds like a silly reason to not like that car but there you have it.

What's a "997 GT3.1" :?:

isysman said:
And lastly, I really don't like that rear spoiler on the 997 GT3.1. I know that sounds like a silly reason to not like that car but there you have it.

The wing on the 997.1 GT3 differs from the 997.2 GT3 wing. This thread is discussing the 997.2 GT3.

pzero said:
isysman said:
And lastly, I really don't like that rear spoiler on the 997 GT3.1. I know that sounds like a silly reason to not like that car but there you have it.

The wing on the 997.1 GT3 differs from the 997.2 GT3 wing. This thread is discussing the 997.2 GT3.

Oh yeah, I miss read. Then GT3 most definitely!

RoRo a 997 GT3.1 is a gen.1 GT3

term values etc..well that's another matter !

Yes, the finance side is interesting - is the GT4 likely to hold its value?

Please discuss

isysman said:
pzero said:
isysman said:

Ok. In your world maybe :grin:

Most people refer to the cars as follows as it's the least confusing way to discuss the different models

996.1 GT3
996.2 GT3
997.1 GT3
997.2 GT3
991 GT3.... But then will be 991.1 GT3 and 991.2 GT3 assuming the nomenclature doesn't change

fiberoptic said:
term values etc..well that's another matter !

Please discuss

The GT4 will depreciate...imho, its likely it'll still be worth most of its value
even a year or two into ownership. The GT3 gen 2 will continue to hold its
value and appreciate over the coming years. :wink:

Roro said:
isysman said:
pzero said:
isysman said:

Ok. In your world maybe :grin:

Most people refer to the cars as follows as it's the least confusing way to discuss the different models

996.1 GT3
996.2 GT3
997.1 GT3
997.2 GT3
991 GT3.... But then will be 991.1 GT3 and 991.2 GT3 assuming the nomenclature doesn't change

You know what I was getting at pedant.

fiberoptic said:

Please discuss

Put it this way : if a properly specified GT4 were to hold its value it would need to be worth more than early GT3s... A Cayman worth more than a 911 GT3 in the long term... Personally I cannot see that, especially when you consider that the mystique of the GT3 ultimately comes from the one thing that the GT4 definitively does not have : its motorsport proven engine. An engine architecture which traces its ancestry to Mezger's last air cooled block, as used in every racing Porsche from the early 90s to today (with the exceptions of the RS Spyder LMP2 and the current 919).

To look at it from another direction - the 987 Cayman R is an excellent car, well thought of by many and fairly rare (rarer than the GT4 will be). While it has essentially stopped depreciating at the moment: you can get one for less than £40k (most generally having been specced as >£60k when new). Yes - the R was not even nearly as special as the 981 GT4 is, but if that is the precedent for limited production non-911s then any expectation for the GT4 to hold or make value is hugely speculative. The Boxster Spyder has also depreciated, but has done better with residuals than the R did.

The final issue for the GT4 is of course that unlike the manual Mezger engined GT3s, they will keep making them and they will keep getting better.

All of that said - if you had a build slot for early delivery and were looking to charge a premium to flip it on acquisition then yes: I reckon that there are profits to be made during the first year or so. They just aren't bringing enough in to meet demand. However in the long term I expect them to behave the way that Mezger GT3s did before they stopped making them. They will depreciate far slower than mainstream Porsches, but they will depreciate. They ought to stabilise not higher than about £20k below whichever is the lower of the cheapest 911 GT3 on the market or the same amount below the base price before options of successive generations of GT4 that will come out in the future.

Well - that is my opinion anyway, but with the caveat that the market is nuts and logic aside, anything might happen really.

The 991 doesn't have that same racing heritage nor the engine but its value is shooting up.

I think anything with a GT badge is going up in value right now. Obviously the GT3s will always be more valuable but I think the fact they sold out before they were released means that any that come in the market will go tor big money in the short term at least.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back