Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Backing up SD cards without computer

chimp911

Calling all tech nerds...

It's only a few short weeks before I'm due to embark on another epic 911UK tour of some of the twistier roads Europe has to offer :food:

Once more it has fallen to me to play Spielberg and I have the dubious pleasure of collating all the camera footage at the end of each day. My normal setup is to carry my painfully slow (and heavy) laptop along with an external HDD to make 2 copies of said footage for post-production once we get back home.

I'm looking for a cost effective alternative to this current setup up in an attempt to a) either save weight (e.g. ditch the laptop) or b) time (e.g. ditch the laptop) or c) both (see a and b) and I stumbled across this potential solution:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Companion-Storage-Battery-Charger/dp/B00KU2E9IW

If I understand correctly then this (or a similar device) should enable copying files from an SD card to another USB hard drive – though I guess I would need 2 hard drives to protect against one of them failing. What I save in weight might be outweighed (groan) by a potentially clunky/cumbersome interface but I was wondering if anyone can has experience of using a device like this or can recommend any alternative solutions? I should add that I've already dismissed cloud storage as we could be easily talking >20gb per day and can expect wobbly internet at best.

Thoughts and advice most appreciated :thumb:

It does appear to do what you say. From what I can gather you control all functions from the app on your phone. I'd be wanting to do some testing before I left without your tried and tested equipment though.

Cheers, I don't think I'll have that much time to test it out and if it fails in the field then we are scuppered. That said the risk is probably not that much higher than my ancient laptop failing either...

chimp911 said:
Cheers, I don't think I'll have that much time to test it out and if it fails in the field then we are scuppered. That said the risk is probably not that much higher than my ancient laptop failing either...

Yes I wouldn't be happy to leave without my laptop until I knew it was working well.

A netbook with decent USBs might be the answer but that wouldn't be a particularly cheap option. Cheers for the advice so far, but keep it coming :thumb:

I actually thought this was a thread about backing up your car with videos :hand:

Well technically he will be 'archiving' his footage. Backup means you have the original and a secondary copy elsewhere, archive means you are storing it in a location other than where it was originally and reusing the original drive space.

I know I'm a techie sad git! :D

Ok, so I'll be making 2 archives, or a backup of an archive :dont know:

chimp911 said:
.........or a backup of an archive :dont know:

Is that an archive of an archive :dont know: You taking the Fezzer this time chimp :?:

Yep, the fez will be on tour so Jackal's official video may suffer some continuity issues this year :grin:

Well then he would have a back up in that case. Haha I didn't see the bit about two copies.

I think I'd personally want to take my laptop with me to verify the footage is actually being moved. It would be horrible to get home and find out you only have the footage you shot on the last day.

Reminds me of a wonderful holiday when happily snapping unmissable moments with my dutiful compact 35mm....

...I first became suspicious when it was still going after 40 shots :sad:

jonttt said:
I actually thought this was a thread about backing up your car with videos :hand:

I had made popcorn and everything, and was looking forward to a selection of "You've been framed" style blunders involving Porsches in reverse :dont know:

If you wait until the final video is edited you may just get what you were expecting/hoping for* :bandit:

*assuming I don't inadvertently delete all the footage first :oops:

Thanks, but you can't reheat popcorn.

May I respectfully suggest more meaningful (or at least less misleading) thread titles in future.

Good luck with your backup.

Don't forget to fdisk once you've copied across, to fully protect the data from any chance of corruption :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back