Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Project Blue Book

Chief

Coming to a thread near you soon....PROJECT BLUE BOOK....

I know what it is :Dance-Tap:

One thing is sure, it`s going to be interesting :thumb:

So at last we can start this new chapter of vehicluar restoration.
Just to fill you in on the reasoning behind this new purchase which I have called Project Blue Book.....Back in the mists of time at the tender age of nineteen my dear departed dad said it was about time I changed my car (MK1 Golf in Lemon Yellow). He would give me some money towards my next car. Well, he showed me a advert in Porsche post for a 914. He was really keen for me to get on the Porsche ladder. Well, under pressure from my mates that a two seater car would be of no use to them I brought a XR2 Mk2, brand new mind! (D*ck Head!). Well every year without fail my dear old pop would buy me a model in 1/43rd scale of a 914, and I mean every year!!!! I always new I'd have to right this wrong......so hold onto your hats everyone, this is gonna get expensive :roll:
So after much research and a number of books purchased I found what most would consider the 'One to have'.
This is a 1973 (1974 model year) 2.0Ltr in Alaska Blue. It has the much coverted centre console with the three stack guages.

So it's two owners from new with 69K on the clock. Totally unmolested, it even has the original Co-Co floor mats too! I drove it back some hour and half from home. All I can say at this point is that it runs. The initial drive off is frought with coughs, splutters and the occassional back fire :grin: Once your on the move it's fine and gets a real taz on! The long suffering Mrs Chief was following in her Abarth 500 and was amazed how quick it went (motorway plus twenty) :eek: Well you've got to be sure it goes....I can't believe this is 42 years old. The paints totally had it, but next to no rust at all!

So the plan is to get it running right before I start the rebuild. So this afternoon I started attacking the top of the engine. Cleaning up earths and making a list of stuff needed to get it running for now. I'm sure that the plans for the car will evolve, so I won't go into much detail for a while.
Suffice it to say it will be Hotrodded :thumb:
And what with the title, well nobody knows what it is...could be close encounter of the third kind :Radar:

What a cool project!
Looking forward to this one.... :)

Who you gonna call..........Edd China!

He fixed one of these within an hour :grin:

Ian

Thanks Ian,
I have recorded Edd and watched it twice :roll:
If only I had a lift to just wiz the car up and down :?:

If anyone sees me painting the car with a rattle can....SHOOT ME :redcard:

Thanks Ben, if it's anything like The Red Baron it should be a riot :grin:

That looks a great project!..I was looking for a 914 a while back but I couldn't find a car that ran properly on injection and was reasonably priced.

Keep the pictures coming. :thumb:

Congrats, will be an interested read :thumb:

always wondered about those 914's 8)

Thanks fellas for the good vibes.
I think these cars are coming onto the radar now.
1974 mid engined, had disc brakes all round, five speed box and fuel injection!
Also with the likelihood of both Boxter and Cayman going to 4 pot these little Jems will be right on trend :grin:

So by way of a little update.....
I have been stripping the fuel system and replacing the old hard and split fuel lines. The car as I mentioned was running poorly at low revs, with spluttering, coughing and backfiring :nooo: So I ordered new 7mm fuel pipe and clips and today i've taken all the fuel injectors and rails out to refresh them. The first thing that might not be helping is this!

Not going to get much fuel through there me thinks :roll:

The injectors and seals were looking sorry for themselves...

Whilst the injectors were soaking in the bath, I removed the manifolds, cleaned the bakerlite face plates and put some instant gasket on both sides and re-assembled. Change all the fuel pipes and clips, then back to installing the injector rails.

Please bear in mind, i'm just trying to get the car running properly to use this summer. I will strip clean and get everything re-plated when I jump into the resto mod winter time....
So turned the key and it burst into life :thumb:
The injection system is so simple, but if everthing isn't perfect it just doesn't run. Air leaks seem to cause the most trouble. But it's kinda fun playing with this ground breaking stuff. I took a few pics of all the cars together so you can see the linieage.

So, early bath tonight as it's so sunny, thought i'd put my feet up!
All the best,
Chief

A mighty fine collection Chief, I was down at Knockhill this morning at an OPC trackday every year of GT3 pounding round all of which were scarely quick

Groovy baby , you will need to grow a Jason King mustache.. Hotrodded sounds good , i like its looks , i think the wheels are spot on for the Red Barron they look like the sticker you have on your wing.

Attachments

• jason_king_159.jpg
    jason_king_159.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 45,504

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back