Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Project 928.

igaffz

Hi chaps, not to long ago I got myself a new project. She's a very old B reg (1985) S2. She has twin distributors same as my 964 and boasts 310BHP and a 4.7 liter engine :D she's been standing for at least a year that I know of but has MOT. I will be doing all the work on her to keep costs to a minimum but one of my mates will be doing the bodywork when I've got the funds.

Someone has had a go at sanding the bonnet :eek:

Interior isn't to bad apart from a knackered drivers bolster, not surprising how you have to get in and out!

Sun faded boot carpet

Any spare time I've had over the last month have been spent working my way through a long list of repairs and catching up on defered maintenance!
First job was to drain the coolant and strip the front of the engine back to replace the water pump and the timing belt, the belt/pump hadn't been done for 10 years so I thought I'd do this sooner rather than later!
I was a bit stressed to take detailed photos but this will give you an idea of the challenge.

I ended up doing a partial rebuild of the belt tensioner, 10 years had taken it toll!

More updates later

Ian

I really, really like it.
:thumbs:

I don't think it's a labour of love either, good examples of these are good money these days, I've been looking, a bit...
:)

Good work Ian - expect you wil have it looking as good as the 911 by the time you finish. Hope that skip was for house renovations and wasn't full of the bits you had to strip. Look forward to seeing it on one of the NE drives.

Cheers.Ian

Strewth Ian, that looks like a challenging car to own. You must be a sucker for punishment pal :grin: and being water cooled :dont know:

taking on the mighty 928 :thumb:

I have always liked the 928's...keep up the work and don't forget the pictures. :thumbs:

This is going to be epic - nice find and :thumbs: for taking this on and sharing!!

Cheers chaps, I've always liked the early cars with the sunk in rear lights, I think the later cars look to modern if that makes sense?
I paid 3k for this car and I think if I put another 3k into it and make it a mechanically sorted clean car (remember I'm doing all the work myself) I won't lose money! I see 928's on the bay bidding right up to 7-8k and I could easy get mine better than these.
It won't all be plane sailing though, the elephant in the room is the sills! I suspect I will need to have new ones fabricated at some point :eek:
Anyway that's last on my long list!
After I did the water pump and belt I changed both distributors, rotor arms and the spark plugs. I've also changed the gear box oil. The differential and gearbox are both the same unit so the fluid change dose both :lol:
I was also getting drips of power steering fluid on my drive so I drained the fluid, removed and cleaned the pipes, fitted some very flashy expensive jubilee clips and some new crush washers to the banjo fittings and the leak has gone
Interiour wise I've fixed an inop electric passenger seat switch, just needed a good clean with good old WD40.

Things left to do.
Re dye interiour carpet and seats/fix drivers bolster.
Replace sump gasket, engine mounts, oil and filter.
Repair front splitter.
Fix HVAC system. I only have hot hot hot all the time!
Replace fuel pipes with nylon.
Bodywork :eek:
There's more but I can't remember lol, I will start taking pics from now on, I wasn't sure if anyone would be bothered but you've got to love a V8!

Ian

If you haven't already check your fuel lines. The hard lines corrode, and the rubber rots.

More than a few early cars have self combusted as a result

Your going to need a bit of staying power for this one Ian, looks complicated in their :eek: however nothing to a man of your caliber looking forward to following this.

Ha ha Gaz, I have the power!
Markiii, the PO has replaced the fuel line over the rear wheel arch but it still has the original ones under the car. I'm going to replace the lot with nylon pipes of the same diameter, I'm going to use 10mm compression fittings to join them. I've also got some 10mm pipe clips on the way as the original ones are a bit passed it :eek:

Ian

My 79s fuel system is in bits pending exactly this job, so when your ready I'd be interested to see pics and part details for how you tackle it

No problem I'll do my best :thumbs:

Ian

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back