Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The search for an 993 RS

tp81

Suzuka
Not sure if this is of interest or not? Thought I would post anyway, I enjoy reading this kind of stuff and following the story of cars.

As some will be aware from my recent posts I have been looking about the RS market for a while. The market seems to go through different phases with zero cars on offer and then all of a sudden 6 or 8 cars all at astronomical prices.

I have followed leads on several cars and was well advanced on two occasions, each time I have walked away after taking advice from experienced RS owners who have been willing to spare time and effort to assess and advice. This is really the joy of car forums and one of the aspects of 993 ownership I love, there are so many people with a passion for the cars and keen to offer help.

In the recent past I posted a question on Rennlist about the RS and what it's like to drive, invariably values come into the discussion but going on the basis that the money in these cars is stable or rising then it's back to the driving and dynamics of the car itself. The response was pretty positive, everyone rating the car as one of the best, however, there also seems to be a clear split in the camp between 964RS and 993RS. The 964 guys being heavily track biased. Personally I am a polisher and car club guy, drives are country road and long runs past lochs and moors. I have only done one track day, loved it but was also glad to get finished unscathed and let the car cool down.

To me there is only one choice the 993RS.

Your dentist and osteopath would agree with you (although their accountants might not).

I'm not a track guy either but have a 964RS, and I enjoy polishing and B road driving.....guess there's always anomalies :grin: and I love the 993RS too..
GT4; they're not that much of a problem on the pearly whites and back.... :grey: :hand:

Good luck with your search Tom and look forward to seeing the results in due course :thumbs:

Didn't DVB have one continually for sale a while back - M100 ??? Looked like a tramp had been dossing in it for a few years :eek:

JZM have got one for £340k. Clearly underpriced :roll:

Zingari said:
Didn't DVB have one continually for sale a while back - M100 ??? Looked like a tramp had been dossing in it for a few years :eek:

I remember that silver one :grin: it was on for around £60k!

With the scarcity of these cars, a test drive has been difficult. I have gone through the GB Porsche club forum to try and find a car in Scotland and hopefully hook up with an owner for an afternoon, no joy. I know the parts guys at my local OPC on first name terms and they searched the system to see if they have one registered, again a dead end. A few offered to meet if I was ever down south but this was not going to be feasible.

So lots of conversations with owners, (there are a couple of guys on DDK who own RS's) and few chats with sellers and my expectation were set pretty high.

The end result of this process was that I managed to find a car not yet up for sale and had it inspected by Peter Morgan. The car for me was ideal in terms of spec I have been looking for, German delivered, bucket seats, non club sport spoilers, RS wheel, non airbag car, 92L fuel tank. No extras/ options, really the way the car was designed.

The inspection revealed a few areas that needed work, equally what 20 year old car doesn't, it certainly had not been prep for sale nor was it a garage queen.

The only thing now was really to go and drive the thing and see what all the fuss was about.

Here are some pictures from the day, I had the opportunity to try two on the same day, excellent day all in and great people.

4G2O1755.jpg by T M Paterson, on Flickr

4G2O1782.jpg by T M Paterson, on Flickr

4G2O1768.jpg by T M Paterson, on Flickr

4G2O1773.jpg by T M Paterson, on Flickr

and finally the car I flew down to drive

4G2O1764.jpg by T M Paterson, on Flickr

NottsC4S said:
I'm not a track guy either but have a 964RS, and I enjoy polishing and B road driving.....guess there's always anomalies :grin: and I love the 993RS too..
GT4; they're not that much of a problem on the pearly whites and back.... :grey: :hand:

Good luck with your search Tom and look forward to seeing the results in due course :thumbs:

Ah, well, I opted for the M033 comfort lowering on mine, mostly to save the seam welds and windscreen creaks, but the RS has a stronger bodyshell anyway.

Love the understated blue one👍😎

Here's another one from the day, didn't take that many pictures. Wish I had, too busy driving the thing.

4G2O1784.jpg by T M Paterson, on Flickr

Looks beautiful. Why do I feel like you're spoonfeeding us a story that already has an ending :?:

mohitos said:
Looks beautiful. Why do I feel like you're spoonfeeding us a story that already has an ending :?:

+1 :grin:

Better than Top Gear :bandit:

Sorry guys. Will provide some further detail later. At the daughters ballet show now.

That last pic :cloud9: 93

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back