Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
992 : 2019- 0
991 : 2011- 24
997 : 2004- 67
996 : 1997-2005 34
993 : 1993-1998 4
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 2
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 30
Cayman : 2005- 21
Cayenne : 2003- 7
Macan : 2014- 6
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [992] 2018-Current
Porsche 911 [992]
911 [991] 2011-2019
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-2012
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

MarkGolf
Imola

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, it has transformed but sadly still looks a bit rough close up. The bodyshop can't open up their new premises quick enough, I can't wait to have this wearing a new coat of paint.

I am in limbo with it at the moment, ultimately I WILL be selling it once painted, the tiptronic is nice for just cruising along and the odd sprint but for me, I need a manual, so I plan on selling this once repainted and tip top and hunting out a manual project to make my long term serious project.

I am only awaiting the bodywork to be performed which will feature a new boot lid to replace the current rusty one and new seals and rubbers throughout. I am fighting the temptation to do some smoothing of side repeaters and headlight washers while it is being painted.. Even fighting changing the colour to the latest Porsche "Crimson red" as seen on the GTS's and complete a GTS theme with black wheels and alcantara pieces inside.... No good if I plan to sell it on though.

I also need to get to the bottom of the lack of movement in the servos, I recently spent some time investigating them and having exchanged some emails with Tore, got a bit closer to the potential problem. I opened 2 of the servo's and they appeared fine, I also opened the CCU and that appeared fine. Checking the outputs on the CCU, I was seeing no change in voltages, even after resets, putting a current to the servos made them move, so I believe the CCU will need repair/replacement, so once I get back around to it, I will be sending that to Tore for inspection.. Before this I would love to get hold of a spare from someone, just to be sure that it is the CCU. I don't want to waste time and money sending it over to Tore should it actually be OK.

No update unfortunately, it has been tucked under a cover avoiding the sun from fading it's remaining red paintwork any more.

Oh, one thing, when playing with the CCU, I found a rubber bulb holder hanging down with no bulb, turns out this was for the ashtray, new bulb and jod done. That's as good as this gets Grin Sad

A picture of it in the parking area of the bodyshops new premises.

Oh that's another thing, I bought a Pipercross filter for the sake of it being black, rather than some odd orange thing! I haven't noticed any increase in performance or noise if anyone considers one..

Some random pictures after I cleaned the pair.

Does anyone have a Carrera badge they wish to sell? Looks naked without one.

2008 957 Cayenne GTS
2003 Boxster 2.7
1994 Eunos Roadster S Special Turbo 270bhp!
1991 Mercedes 500SL
1979 Mercedes 280e
1995 VW Golf VR6 3.0

MarkGolf
Imola

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing overly exciting to add to this as yet, the car had an outing to Brands Hatch to watch a mate race, it seemed to draw a crowd when parked in the paddock, was quite surprised.

A few weeks prior, I took the car along with my 997 down OPC Brooklands for their service clinic. Was a really good event and met some good people, the guys at Brooklands were all very welcoming and certainly won my business for the future servicing of my Porsches.

I was surprised how dry it was underneath, some weaps from the rear chain covers but that was all!

Got talking to a nice guy, James who owned this beautiful RS

Some great cars turned up and were on display

[/url]

[/url]

The restored Targa which is now for sale. It was immaculate!

If anyone wants to swap a 993, let me know Wink

The historic Brooklands track.. and on the left, Tesco

[/url]

Was really good to get talking to the techs about both cars, both had great things to say. I was surprised at how thorough the inspections were, thankfully no surprises and everything pointed out is due to be sorted and I have replacement parts for. My girlfriend drive the 964 which she has now claimed as hers and changed her mind from trying to push me to sell it to now keeping it.

I have a huge collection of parts now, all in prep for the respray.

A small job I could do now and not wait for the respray, new fuel pump cover and some new stainless bolts to replace some rusty looking originals on the underside. All noticed when cleaning the underside Rolling Eyes

New LED compartment lights, I'm always leaving the boot/bonnet open so less draw and more light can only be a benefit!

Managed to give the car a good clean and finished with Zaino, it then rained!

Home time now, will add some more to this over the weekend.
2008 957 Cayenne GTS
2003 Boxster 2.7
1991 Mercedes 500SL
1979 Mercedes 280e
1995 VW Golf VR6 3.0

Last edited by MarkGolf on Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Skyman
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much are they asking for the 3.2 Targa, out of interest?

igaffz
Albert Park

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yip I replaced my fuel pump cover a few months back, it looked like a tea bag!

I like the light blue 928 next to the RS

Keep up the good work, you might have to keep the car if the boss likes it Thumb

Ian

MarkGolf
Imola

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no price on the targa but I bet it's north of 80k, I saw it advertised the other day as a 0 miles car..

I do love it, I just want to see it in fresh paint!! Can't take the wait for much longer.. She does love it a bit more but then she doesn't have to work on it. Smile

I didn't get to do much on the car due to the weather but hopefully I'll get some time this weekend.
2008 957 Cayenne GTS
2003 Boxster 2.7
1991 Mercedes 500SL
1979 Mercedes 280e
1995 VW Golf VR6 3.0

Eire911
Silverstone

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Can you let me know where you bought the led light units?

Cheers

Ex
07 Meteor 997.1 C2S (Man)
91 Black 964 C2 (Man)
03 Meteor 996 C4s (Man)
94 Guards 993 C2 (Man)
87 Guards 3.2 Carerra (Targa) - where the illness began!

Zingari
Brands Hatch
Brands Hatch

1993 Porsche 964 Anniversary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, Just checking but have you got a dizzy breather pipe fitted? I can only see one pipe coming off the rear fan duct which normally services the rear lights to stop them steaming up. The dizzy was a recall/aftermarket mod Dont know

MarkGolf
Imola

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LED's were from eBay, £14 or so..

They're there Zingari. I swapped out the dirty transparent pipes for black silicon items to disguise them. It worked Thumb Thanks for looking out
2008 957 Cayenne GTS
2003 Boxster 2.7
1991 Mercedes 500SL
1979 Mercedes 280e
1995 VW Golf VR6 3.0

MarkGolf
Imola

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of an update, after a little while of just remaining stored away, I got some time to crack on and progress with getting some bits and pieces done. All minor bits, ordering a fair few new parts from Porsche and finally getting her in to the bodyshop!! Wooo

So wheeled out into my "work bay", I started work, back in November I think, on replacing the rusty oil return pipe that had managed to develop a small hole which was weeping oil, this was a job I was not looking forward to as I thought I would have to remove the heat exchangers, luckily, after some advice on here, I was able to replace it quite easily.

Said pipe, after some pokery, now gone from a weep to a pour.. I had drained the oil prior to this.

I did have a little fight with it and ended up just tearing the end part away from the rest of the pipe

Old Vs New

New pipe in place with new stainless jubilee clips. I am hoping to get around and replace all OEM jubliees with these nice stainless ones to future proof!

Always impressed with how dry and clean it remains under here, I like to clean all gunk off as it makes it easier to locate oil weepage at times like this.

While under it, I wanted to remove the bumpers to replace some of the rusty support brackets and check the car for any rusty as I have seen that rust can sometimes hit the areas where the bumper reinforcement brackets attached to, thankfully, this car has remained in great condition with no rust to anything other than some minor replaceable parts and the tiny bits on the body.

In it's original 25+ years worth of dirt and grime.

I did spend an age cleaning everything but strangely, didn't take a picture of the finished article, it was probably dark!

This was a bit odd, BMW and Porsche?

Horrible rusty bumper brackets

Old Vs New

The remains of the central rear bump reinforcment bar and new one

Exhaust clamp bolts were all shot, so replaced these with staineless items

Bumper brackets refitted with stainless bolts

Next, I wanted to look at the conditon of the PAS rack and brakes, see if anything untoward was going on, but all factory fresh with a little patina.

Next was removing the front bumper and looking under here.

The first thing I wanted to do with get the area that sits just behind the lower grille back to black and protected, this has some wear from stone chips I guess, so I thought I'd waxoyl this area and do the same on the underside.

Waxoyl'd

Enlisted the girlfriend to help as she wanted to "do more stuff together"... Not what she had in mind.. Smile

The old undertray had seen some action, so I replaced with a new one. I assume the new one is for a C4 but no issue, will cool the steering rack Floor

Bracketry given a coat of paint

Fog insert replaced with proper one

Wing supports replaced for some really nice and light, yet still impossible to flex ally items. Cheap and perfectly made, can't fault them.

Painted

After all of this, I took it for a drive, the first since the oil pipe change... I think the remains of oil which had leaked and mainly WD40 were taking a while to burn off and causing some stares at the lights..

I decided I wanted to smoke the lights, just the silver trim thing at the bottom, I used plastidip as this can be peeled off if I didn't like it. I am still undecided but I will wait until the car is back from the bodyshop.

Before

Apart

Plastidip for your reference.

TO BE CONTINUED!!

More to come but I have spent 45 minutes typing all of this so computer time is over for today.

Next is the stripping of the car, mainly in the dark freezing December temperatures, for the bodyshop!
Bandit

Cheers
2008 957 Cayenne GTS
2003 Boxster 2.7
1991 Mercedes 500SL
1979 Mercedes 280e
1995 VW Golf VR6 3.0

deutschland-dobson
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some strong work there Mark Smile

Great to see another 964 getting so much love.

Keep up the good work! thumbsup

Chris

Chief
Sepang

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it had been a bit quite around these parts for a while. Good to see another thread moving forward Thumb
Keep up the good work Mark thumbsup

Wav
Silverstone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff, am loving all your work over the winter. I don't want to even go outside to change the oil on my golf daily drive. Razz

Paul

MarkGolf
Imola

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, I did have a mini break from it which was a bad move as it left me with lots to do out in the cold before it went off. It did take a lot to get out and get started but once I start, I tend not to stop until I am shouted at.

I was initially very scared of working on this car but it turns out to be quite a simple beast, very well put together and I have really grown fond of it, especially after seeing how solid it is underneath.

The next bits, on a slightly warmer day, fixing some small jobs and then strip down Cool

The sunroof wind deflector was a bit loose on one side, I narrowed this down to 2 clips being broken, a nice easy 5 minute fix, love jobs like that.

Broken!

Old vs new parts

All done

Next was the exhaust tip, this was looking a bit tired so I gave it toa friend who was going down to the local powder coaters, it came back and is lovely and fresh but sadly, didn't get a picture!!! This is what happens when I'm working in the dark.

As it was before, very tired!

I thought I would remove the scuttle panel seals, I thought it would take me a few mintues but they turned out to be right b&st$rds!! Much swearing was done removing these, probably the hardest job on the car so far!!

It is a case of removing the first allen bolt you can see when you open the door and then loosening the further one, then just pull up, so I was told. It took a lot of levering and pulling with pinchers!

The result, this was the good one, the other side was in 5 or 6 pieces, I didnt take any pictures as I was probably pissed off Laughing

Even though they would be coming off, I thought I would try my new scraper seals, mine had shrunk, so new ones went on and fill the big gaps left by the old seals. An easy 5 min job, drop the window, lever the trim up and off, slide old seal out, new one in, push trim back.

Hopefully you can see the difference in size

Trim removed

New on, old short enough to let alot of water down

On an inspection at Porsche, they noted that my front bump stops had seen better days, I had some spares and this looked like an easy swap so I spent a couple of hours dropping the fronts down and popping the replacements in... This is an area I am going to revisit, I have some shocks from a low miler car which I think I will fit as these shocks seem a bit weak on rebound.

This gave me access to that dirty area just behind too Rolling Eyes

Replacement on - Its ok, I was sure not to strain the brake lines

I then got on to removing the side skirts, I was always a bit worried about this as I had seen some horror stories here on other cars, thankfully, I felt nothing but relief, my underskirts are totally rust free, phew!!

Front area stripping of loose items

Sunroof and interior door cards removed

Mirrors were next, I found that the drivers one had never been removed as wires were intact, I had the sad job of cutting them but thankfully, in a nice place where I plan to use a waterproof connector to join them back up once it's all painted.

All was going well with the passenger side..

Then I came across a wiring job done by an 8 year old!! Wires twisted together!! Who does this on a Porsche?!! I guess this is what happens when cars drop to a low value, they get low value treatment. Grrr

Tea tray off

Bye badge!

Every nut, bolt and clip I remove goes into here in labelled sections

STUFF in the spare room

Spare engine lid

Casing off and split so that they can be painted properly.

Lacking pictures again, sorryyyy

The morning I was due to take the car to the bodyshop came, I ended up refitting the drivers mirror housing so that I could be legal, although I didn't refit the wipers and it rained a bit, lucky the windscreen had Gtechniq on, so it just beaded straight off..

Weirdly, the rev gauge fogged up, never had this happen before!!

Outside Xquisite

Tea tray was cable tied in place

Lights were all removed and here she is inside, nice and warm

Not only warm and dry, in good company too

Thats it, next jobs are just cleaning up light lenses and working out what other stainless bolts I need.

I'll hopeuflly have some progress shots of the windows out, doors off repaint soon, planning on making a few visits Smile

Cheers
2008 957 Cayenne GTS
2003 Boxster 2.7
1991 Mercedes 500SL
1979 Mercedes 280e
1995 VW Golf VR6 3.0

KP964
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You certainly don't hang around , great thread , its going to be one sorted car Thumb

Chief
Sepang

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kp964 wrote:
You certainly don't hang around , great thread , its going to be one sorted car Thumb

Speedy Gonzalis this one Keith, he don't hang about Cool

Great to see the progress. Reminds me of my build Sad looks an impressive body shop Mark. Keep the pictures coming Thumb

MarkGolf
Imola

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a bit slower than planned due to having to wait in line for the bodyshop after it's move but that has given me time to put some miles on the car to makes sure it's spot on, which it is thankfully Smile A total pleasure to drive. I didn't see the fuss but I totally get it now, even with the tiptronic which suits it as a road car imo (I normally HATE autos)

Cheers chief, I wish it was your build! The bodyshop is great, the work has always been perfect with them working on show cars - secret super car projects etc, now they've got a premises which reflect their work, I wish them all the best on their new move. Truly deserved having used them from day 1.

Just a couple progress shots.

Windows are due to come out on Monday and then it will be full steam ahead to have her rubbed down. I would rather them take their time as it's one less stress to worry about while I haven't got it, also saves me from rebuilding it in the cold Thumb

I took a trip to a local dealer yesterday and got my 964
fix while there, just a taste of what was on display.. What a treat!

2008 957 Cayenne GTS
2003 Boxster 2.7
1991 Mercedes 500SL
1979 Mercedes 280e
1995 VW Golf VR6 3.0

Wav
Silverstone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is some serious stock. What dealer is that?

Looks like your posts have helped me out, as it motivated me to service my mk5 golf gti and change the lower ball joint which has been clunking for a little while. As you said, once you're out in the cold you may as well crack on Bandit

Cheers,

Paul

MarkGolf
Imola

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a totally surreal place, a dream fleet, a great morning. The dealer was The Octane Collection, just outside of Guildford.

That's good, you feel all that more satisfied when you've got a job done in the cold!

Latest from Xquisite Automotive, they certainly are flying through this, I literally cannot wait to see the finished article.

No surprises around the Windows Smile

That's the latest as of an hour ago, really eager to get her back together, hopefully in time for Goodwood 74th members meeting.

Really happy, yet again with how the team at Xquisite are coming on with the car, the updates, speed and detail, can't wait!!! Thumb
2008 957 Cayenne GTS
2003 Boxster 2.7
1991 Mercedes 500SL
1979 Mercedes 280e
1995 VW Golf VR6 3.0

miles55
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested in the procedure on bump stops - was it;

- Raise the front of the car as high as possible.
- Place jack under the shocker.
- Undo top nut on shocker.
- Slowly release jack under shocker until top is clear and free. (being careful not to stretch brake hose)
- Dispense with remaining pieces of old bump stop
- Drop new bump stop in position.
- Align and jack the shocker back up into position.
- Refit top nut and torque accordingly
- repeat for other side
- Drop car back down.

What did I miss and any gotchas to look out for?

Thanks

CarraraWhite
Barcelona

2011 Porsche 991 Carrera

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another great 964 thread, duly subscribed Thumb

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: