Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dash Cam Recomendations

Jam911

I am thinking about getting a dash camera of some sort.
What do people recommend please.
Ideally I don't want it permanently mounted and hard wired .
Interested to see what people use.
Thanks

A detailer friend has a good one, I'll find out. He's just posted a video of some dozy woman taking his front end off today as she changed lane...great evidence but doesnt take away the pain.

Bought a Mini 0805, also records when your car is hit in a car park. HD quality and it comes with the power socket connector as well (in addition to the hard wire pack).

Got it from combi.org.uk

I have just installed a BlackVue DR600GW, it was pretty easy to run the power lead across the top of the headlining, behind the roof/pillar trim and down the door rubber. I then tucked it under the glovebox and into the 12v socket in the passenger footwell. I didn't want to hard wire it in either. The one issue is that the 12v socket is constantly live so I need to disconnect it manually when parked.

The model I purchased wasn't cheap but is a good quality unit with inbuilt WiFi. It also can be supplied with a power magic device that shuts it down automatically after either a set time or when it detects a voltage drop from the battery. I haven't installed the power magic as it needs an ignition switched live to tell it when to engage.

Blackvue. I use a DR500GW-HD. It's now been replaced several times over. The current twin camera system is the DR650. That has also recently been replaced by the DR750, which has a front camera now with a 4" LCD display plus a rear camera. Suction mounts and LCD screens are not my preference as they attract people with a need to break stuff so they can steal stuff.

Footage in 720P at night is acceptable. 1080P is very good. Wish I had the rear camera last month when a Jag XF ran in to me, then drove off.

Some footage from my dash cam here.

I usually use a DOD LS300W. That is, when I can find it... Excellent film and sound quality in 1080, certainly better than that in my other E-prance unit. Only problem mine had (and from reading reviews, this seems uncommon) was that on journeys of over an hour, on continuous looped recording, it had a tendency to turn itself off.

Nonetheless, a Dashcam, whichever you choose,is indispensable for those, admittedly very rare times, when someone inadvertently reverses into your stationery pride and joy (e.g. when you are waiting behind others at the lights), and then decides that 'The Rules' allow one to claim against the rear vehicle when "hit from behind"... :roll:

I have a Drivepro 200 which was bought for me last christmas. I can't fault it for quality and easy of setup/usage but it is a bit large for my taste. It's also quite obvious from the exterior as I can't hide it behind the mirror if that sort of thing is important to you.

Blackvue. I have the DR550GW-2CH camera fitted front and back.

I have a 25a/h SLA battery installed next to the car battery on a split charging system and the camera powered by that through a power magic pro.

Fit and forget system that will record while the car is parked and also ensure that your main battery doesn't go flat.

I use a Next Base 402G with a 32mb card. Continuously loops approx every 4 hours. Gives pretty good definition in the dark and has 140 degree vision. It also has GPS facility etc

Love this site. Just discovered on this thread i have power socket in the passenger footwell!

I have just bought a Snooper 3HD Dash cam and traffic camera combined. I am pretty pleased with it but the power plug is BIG. But now it is going into the passenger side! Bargain.

The always live socket is a pain though.

I've just fitted a Mobius, extremely compact, very good value and good quality picture. Have a look for the review on Techmoan.

I took a feed from the fuse box to connect a USB adaptor which powers up the dash cam with the ignition so it really is a case of fit and forget.

I like the roadhawk HD

symoonbeam said:
Blackvue. I have the DR550GW-2CH camera fitted front and back.

I have a 25a/h SLA battery installed next to the car battery on a split charging system and the camera powered by that through a power magic pro.

Fit and forget system that will record while the car is parked and also ensure that your main battery doesn't go flat.
Can you install my new one then:)

I don't mind people using dash cams for protection.
Can't stand the do-gooders who send videos off to the police all the time.
Fair play if someone is being a knob on the road but for enthusiastic drivers surely it is a risk?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back