Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wax, Polish or Synthetics. What's best for our Porsche's?

Andrew911

Spa-Francorchamps
Well; have about a year to wait before the Cayman GTS arrives. Plenty of time to consider whether to try different products etc.

So, wondering what's best for our Porsche's. A good carnauba Wax or polish/synthetics such as Zaino or REJEX, R222 etc. Have used various products in the past. Used Zymol wax previously on a Boxster S - was impressed with the amount of beading but didn't have an impressive shine IMO. More recently have been using Zaino products which I love - great results; but a little voice tells me a good quality carnaube wax will give far better paint protection.

So what do ya all think?

Check out the many threads on this topic via the search function.

Personally, I think it depends on the colour of the car. I use wax on my black audi however I have just started using the carlack acrylic system on my silver Porsche.
The results are excellent and its so easy to apply,using wax on a silver car warms the colour where as the acrylic sharpens it.

Of course only my opinion :)

There are loads of products out there. All make claims that are not supported by any objective controlled studies on shine or longevity.

You can spend a lot or a modest amount. I bought the clay bar kit and three stage Meguiars paint treatment - prep, shine and wax - from Halfords in Aug 2012 when I bought the car. I have used wax with the detailing spray once, stage 1 prep once, shine 3 times and the wax has been used around 8-10 times after washing and drying the car. Decent finish. But the shine never lasts as long as claimed, neither the water beading capaability.

Sometime thnk about spending more on some products but hesitate in case its the same with those also - overclaim the results.

I`ve tried quite a few over the last few years on a silver, and now black Mercedes, Burgundy Audi Cab and my midnight blue Boxster S.
Zymol
AutoGlym
Farecla G3
Poor Boys

Audi came up fantastic with Zymol after about 4 applications/coats.
On the Mercs the best results have been Autoglym SRP then HD wax, but this doesn`t give the same results on the blue Porsche, so am now using Poor Boys Black hole glaze/polish and Nattys blue Paste wax..................always after a good claying and decontamination of course.
I think that is the key really, get the car REALLY clean and then the results from your polish and wax will shine through :roll:

It`s a colour lottery really as to which product suits it best :dont know:

Have had brilliant results with Gtechniq products on both light coloured and dark coloured cars. :thumb:

Would recommend a full paint correction/machine polish, followed by Gtechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer and then an EXOv2 top coat.

Simply superb, and even after a year's use and abuse, will still allow the dirt to simply slide off. Water repellant like water off a duck's back. :lol:

Can also be used on wheels and brake calipers - brake dust and crud simply drop off when washed.

G Techniq :thumb:
Get it done professionally.

I use the black fire gloss enhance Polish followed by a couple of coats of the black fire midnight sun paste wax.

Great results on dark cars

If it's good enough for polished bliss detailers it's good enough for me. :thumb:

Thanks everyone. Keep the debate going! Everyone has an opinion.

With the 996 turbo i followed the process of shampoo, clay, two coats of polish etc etc - all using Zaino. I was really impressed with the results. I found polish was much easier to apply than wax. But somehow think that maybe a really good carnauba wax would be better? So it's whether I go down the Swisswax route or not.

Have heard good results with Gtechniq - like some of you have posted. Decisions, decisions. At least i have a year to think about it :)

Once paint surface decontaminated with Clay and Tardis, machine polish with DA to remove imperfections, swirls etc. I use Menzerna products but plenty available. Then seal with Carlack acrylic sealant and finish with Collinite 845 Wax used warm (to soften). Top up Collinite every 6-12 months as required :thumb:

steve baker said:
Collinite 845 Wax used warm (to soften). Top up Collinite every 6-12 months as required :thumb:
+1 , after detailing with clay and SRP.

New car shouldn't have any swirl or scratch on the paint so you shouldn't need to mop the car with G3 or the like.

Garrison said:
New car shouldn't have any swirl or scratch on the paint so you shouldn't need to mop the car with G3 or the like.

Always amazes me what delights the paintwork on my new cars has in store. :lol:

Unless you're buying a Roller, 99% of new cars are covered in swirls! :nooo:

OP what colour is the car ?

DRZ911 said:
Have had brilliant results with Gtechniq products on both light coloured and dark coloured cars. :thumb:

Would recommend a full paint correction/machine polish, followed by Gtechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer and then an EXOv2 top coat.

Simply superb, and even after a year's use and abuse, will still allow the dirt to simply slide off. Water repellant like water off a duck's back. :lol:

Can also be used on wheels and brake calipers - brake dust and crud simply drop off when washed.

Prior to applying Gtechniq C1 & EXO do you follow these steps: snow foam, wash, shampoo, wash, clay, polish then C1 & EXO? Have i missed anything out?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back