Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cayenne 3.2 (2004) fuel pump noise

Zebravanman

as the title, my 04 Cayenne fuel pump has been making a real loud noise (whining) I lifted the rear seat and accessed the inspection panel on the LHS of the car, I listened carefully with the car running.
It's making a loud whining running noise, it didn't used to do this do I have anything to worry about ?

There have been no issues with the car whatsoever.

Is this the fuel pump side BTW ? is the other side the fuel filter ?

-I'm new to all this any advise appreciated.

Ok i see there are two fuel pumps one left one right, looks like the LHS is making the noise, i'll check the RHS just to be sure.
The LHS appears to be the one with the fuel filter on it, do i replace both or just the one making a noise.

OK so I had a look at both pumps today, removed the rear seat belt anchors and cut the carpet for access to both inspection panels.
Removed both inspection panels and heard both pumps running, the LHS is definitely making more noise than the RHS.
I phoned Porsche and was surprised at the cost ! similar prices to ebay, £236 all in with a new seal and adaptor piece. So I will get it ordered and may as well replace the fuel filter while I am in there.

Does anyone know whether the system needs bleeding after, or is it a case of switching the ignition on/off several times ?

Does anyone want to see any photos when I change it ?

Well I managed to get a new pump from Porsche and with a 5% discount came to £220 delivered with new sealing ring and 90Deg adaptor piece.

When you do the job you actually need to get access to the other side to disconnect the fuel filter pipe on the LHS from the fuel pressure regulator from the other side otherwise you can't get the LHS fuel pump out of the tank (so buy two new sealing rings).

Anyway, job took a bit of figuring out as the new pump is slightly different from the old one. It took a couple of hours but I could do it half the time now i know what to do.
If anyone is considering doing this, label all connectors and take photos then you'll have no problems when it goes back together.

New pump is nice and quiet - job done :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back