Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

what 993 wheels are these?

badlands

Hi all!

First post as i gear up to take ownership in the coming weeks of my first ever Porsche....pleased to say it's a beautiful high mileage 993 cab, picking it up in a few weeks after the dealer just makes some agreed fixes post-PPI.

I'll be sure to post photos once she's mine! :thumb:

But in the meantime I've already began salivating over personalising the car, and after trawling through the Rennlist 'who's got the best wheels?' thread, these hit me as simply stunning on a cab.

My question is......which wheels are these, and are they available in the UK? :?:

2isWxyS.jpg

Hello and congrats on the purchase.

Those wheels wouldn't have been fitted from the factory - they are aftermarket. Look like Veloce wheels to me, but not sure.

Look like 964 RS Speedlines, but I suspect after market (given the genuine item's rarity and cost)

ie Veloce, and yes, available everywhere!

(for starters, just peruse eBay for hundreds of new sellers advertising them)

993 wheels

Hi badlands and welcome to forum.
They look like split rim speedlines which are mega bucks but are probably veloce which are available in uk about £1000 on their website.somebody else will be along shortly to confirm. Enjoy your ride

Thanks all for the warm welcome and wheel knowledge.

Sure I'll be drawing on this huge source of collective knowledge regularly as I get lowered deeper and deeper into the 993 money pit over these coming years..it'll all be worth it...can't wait! ;)

Hi and welcome,

Some will tell you that a Cab is a bit naff, but trust me when the sun is shining (most days here in Spain) and the sky is blue there is not a better car to drive IMHO :lol:

Enjoy the journey, these cars, and awesome!

ATB :)

Hey decgraham,

Weirdly I'm of the opinion that these days the 993 cab looks a bit more modern than the coupe....something about the way the back pillars on the coupe look is kinda dated, can't put my finger on it. Awaiting a barrage of 'what the hell u talking about?!' at this comment, ha.

It may be a bit naff compared to the coupe, but I needed to sell the british summer top-down motoring dream to the other half....and it worked.

Anway, nice surprise from the PPI is it turns out the cabrio I'm picking up already has Dansk silencers fitted so that should help a bit in reducing the naffness ;) [or increase it in some peoples' opinions i imagine]!

Hi badlands,

I've loved convertibles since I was a small boy, my first was a BRG MG Midget, I even had a Triumph Stag at one stage in my life OMG! to me its the only way to drive, top down wind in the hair... etc 8) You will love the car, especially in the sunshine. If you don't find much sun in the UK drive the car abroad you'll have a blast.

Cabs are not naff IMHO the are the Dogs do dahs :D

ATB :)

I think I have a similar set festering away in my garage in need of refurb. off my last but one 993 8)

[/img]

The wheels in question are most likely 3 piece replicas of the factory 964 3.6 turbo wheels made by RH in Germany. The RH are definitely the most accurate replica's (only the 'Speedline for Porsche' etching and bolt heads are noticeably different).

The RH's are still widely available - both new and used & you can find the etching stencils if you want to fool most.

The 993 in the picture looks to have a more aggressive 'lip' on the front wheels than you would find on a factory Speedline - RH are very good at providing a wide range of fitment options. The only downside with RH is that their barrels are constructed in a softer alloy than most manufacturers, which are prone to bending/cracking if you hit a serious imperfection in the road.

super cab

Well , if you were looking for inspiration then you certainly found it with that cab! For a start its had a wide body conversion or is a rare factory special. The wheels are certainly three piece split rims of the cup design ,but i'm not sure which brand, likely to be speedline, RH, Tramont or perhaps keskin.
That would look special on any street.
Christian.................

Although the coupe is obviously the most sought after in the range the 993 convertible is definitely not naff.
Tony Hatter bought a soft top a couple of years back and considering he designed the 993 that must say something in the convertible's favour!

Great info from everyone, thanks for your insights.

I think it's likely I'll eventually go for the Veloce versions, can't really justify the cost of the better RH replicas. Apparently both Veloce and RH weigh pretty much the same.

First though as a priority I'll have a fair few cosmetic and bodywork things to fix up, starting with corrosion to lower left hand section of the rear 1/4 panel + to the left hand rear chasis leg!

All being well I'm finally picking the car up this Friday.

One thing that came up in the PPI by Northway (highly recommended btw), is "left hand exhaust heat exchanger rusted through".

The dealer initially agreed to deal with this as a mechanical issue which Northway said can affect engine cooling, however having just spoken to the dealer, they claim that in fact there's no problem with the left heat exchanger and it's just the left heatshield that's corroded...which being cosmetic, they won't fix. I'm a bit suspicious as they've already spent a fair bit on the car to fix some other mechanical things that arose from the PPI and it may well be they've decided they want to try limit any more costs on their side.

They're happy to get the car on a lift for me to see for myself come friday, but my question to you guys is, if this is a bit of a fib, how expensive is one exhaust heat exchanger to fix? I see Dansk make the part for aprox £500 including VAT...does fitting it require engine out, or anything like that?

If the exchanger is indeed rusted and affects the mechanical running of the car, then I believe I can get the dealer to pay for fixing this under the sales of goods act anyway. Just want to go inspect the car again on Friday with as much knowledge as possible....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back