Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Underbody cover mounting stud snapped! UPDATED!

Chris_in_the_UK

One of the fixed studs has come off with the plastic nut attached!

Anybody replaced one - (any thoughts greatly appreciated) I found this on Rennlist:-

CB5000-1.jpg
[/img]

They are bonded on - just a bit reluctant to drill a hole!.

I think they are aerospace industry items but on the odd occasion I have looked I can not find anything similar and I am not sure what they would be called in the UK?

Finally got around to fixing this today.

Here is the offending stud (offside rear wheel arch).

L1020852_zps7334ea2d.jpg

Here is the stud that will be bonded on to effect the repair.

L1020855_zpscedb8347.jpg

The studs came with some 2 pack super strong glue.

L1020856_zps97c011ba.jpg

A quick clean up with a rotary file to get back to the metal so we get a good bond.

L1020857_zpsa4dd5551.jpg

Here it is bonded in place.

L1020858_zpsc518580b.jpg

Once the epoxy has set a quick squirt of wax to protect the area.

L1020859_zpsff8101eb.jpg

L1020861_zps916cc391.jpg

Arch liner back in - all done!

L1020862_zps84b9f982.jpg

Nice - well done and thanks for the info :thumbs:

when i changed an undertray recently the threads were corroded badly so this info will defo come in handy sooner or later.

I was also going to go down the rivbolt route, but I will give these a try first.

Nice one.

Thanks.

Edit

Not sure why I'm saying thanks, that's another £35 I won't see again!

:)

Seriously though, looks good. There are so many little British engineering sites that we should be proud.

The bonded on stainless threaded studs are called Big Heads.

I dont think the originals are a normal thread like M5 / M6. They have quite a coarse thread. I just cleaned up with a wire brush and waxoiled. Some were a challenge to get the new plastic nuts to go on but all on and holding.

Ian

I hadn't seen anything like this when doing mine. I cut the head off an m6 boot and welded it to a 2mm plate. Made several and cut off any that looked crusty. Weld through primer, welded, primed, seen sealed and sprayed with upol gravitex. They're going no where.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back