Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

iPhone 5 - PCM3 connection

bryce

Spa-Francorchamps
I am sure Ive asked this before but cant find it..

What part do I need to buy so I can connect my iPhone 5 to PCM for listening to music?

Also, I presume music saved in Spotify will work fine with connection?

Cheers

On a 991 you just connect the USB cable. On a 997 you need to have the y-cable with a USB and a mini-DIN connector on it that comes with the car (you must connect both - one draws the power and the other sends the data). In addition you need the Apple 30 pin to lightning cable. Specifically you want the Apple part as many aftermarket alternatives don't work and you also want the one with the short cable rather than just the adapter block version.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD824ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter-02m

A final footnote is that the forthcoming iPhone 6 will by all accounts be too big to fit in the cubby in a 997 with the cable attached.

Ideal Disco, thank you.

P.s. Thats a piss take for that wire.

Disco said:
On a 991 you just connect the USB cable. On a 997 you need to have the y-cable with a USB and a mini-DIN connector on it that comes with the car (you must connect both - one draws the power and the other sends the data). In addition you need the Apple 30 pin to lightning cable. Specifically you want the Apple part as many aftermarket alternatives don't work and you also want the one with the short cable rather than just the adapter block version.

A final footnote is that the forthcoming iPhone 6 will by all accounts be too big to fit in the cubby in a 997 with the cable attached.

Don't use the 30 pin to lightning wire connector as it doesn't work, check the reviews on the product listing
you need one of the 30 pion to lightning connectors without the wire, white plastic thingy about the size of a large stamp,

mark pearce said:
Disco said:

Don't use the 30 pin to lightning wire connector as it doesn't work, check the reviews on the product listing
you need one of the 30 pion to lightning connectors without the wire, white plastic thingy about the size of a large stamp,

On the contrary - I know that it works as I have been using it myself with PCM3 in a 997.2 since it came out. Conversely, the one without the wire is somewhat problematic to actually get to fit into the cubby with everything connected (i.e. you can't readily close the lid).

It won't work with the iPod integration in some BMWs, but nor will anything else (one of their systems used the video passthrough, which isn't supported). Not sure about VAG stuff.

And yes : the pricing does transcend mere sarcasm... :what:

One wonders whether the forced harmonisation to mini/micro usb chargers for all smartphones will finally smash the tyrannical monopoly apple currently abuses... :?:

I tried the lightning adapter with a wire on a iPhone 5S in 3 997's and couldn't get it to work,
sent it back to apple for a refund then saw the complaints on the review section of the apple website,

mark pearce said:
I tried the lightning adapter with a wire on a iPhone 5S in 3 997's and couldn't get it to work,
sent it back to apple for a refund then saw the complaints on the review section of the apple website,

Most odd as I have personally never heard of anyone getting anything else to both work and fit. Defective item perhaps? I've had mine for ages and it has been faultless.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back