Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Car will not start, but is cranking over??

the other me said:
My 996t "died" , and I mean really died, on the motorway. Same stuff when I tried resuscitation on the hard shoulder, cranking,but no firing.

9excellence have told me it is the 1st fuel pump (as opposed to fuel pump relay) failure they have ever seen.

Maybe yours is the 2nd one ?

Did yours happen in France??

I had similar thing happen to me week before last, and on mine the feed pipe to the fuel pump had detached. The original clip was poor and failed.

As it stands, we are still no closer to getting this car started up. The computer showed no signs or codes when we had it plugged in. (sure it was connected and working properly as we were able to open the bonnet and spray the washer jets etc. from the computer).

So, things we are going to try tonight consist of the following;

- Even though I am convinced the car has fuel and shows quarter of a tank, will get can filled of super and put it in.
- Hook up some jump leads and try and fire it up. Even though the car is cranking fine, maybe the battery is not quite 100% there? If this doesn't work, should I try and bump start it?
- Check fuel pump? It seems this is not the issue and I can hear the pump priming on start up, and also when hooked up the computer we primed the pump via the computer? How would we go about checking the fuel pump other than this way?
- Check the connections on the CPS (however if this was the issue, we should get some faults showing? But we do not.)

What about the immobiliser or alarm? Maybe my key? I do not have another key to try, is there any way to check these things?

This is now driving me up the wall.. I am sure it is something trivial as opposed to a major mechanical problem, as surely the car should at least start up, or make an attempt to run if it was mechanical!

I am soooo open to suggestions!

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Jibaro, yep, thats me. . . I guess you have been into 9e recently too, they mentioned your problem to me, I had visions of a fuel spray under the bonnet :eek:

My first thought when I read this was low fuel. A few years back when I had a C2S 997, I stalled it while trying to park on a slight incline. The car wouldn't restart, even though it was cranking over, and the fuel gauge said there was 1/4 tank. I didn't know what to do, but I had a Gerry can so walked over to the fuel station and filled the car with a fiver worth of fuel. Still nothing, so filled another fiver worth of fuel - and the car started. Try filling to at least half a tank then starting. The fuel gauge logic is crap. Below half a tank it guesses how much fuel is there based on your fuel consumption for the first half used... or something like that...

Nicholassss said:
s9ety said:
Guy came over last night, and said the symptoms are that of the crank sensor.

What were the error codes please?

There were no error codes? I will see if we can find any error codes later and list them, but there was nothing being thrown up and likewise, all looked well on the computer.

Fingers crossed it will either be lack of fuel or or dodgey battery!

Nicholassss said:
He use Porsche specific tool or hand scanner?

He has a Snapon Diagnostics reader, which has had the Porsche Software uploaded to it. He was definitely connected and inside the ECU as my girlfriend was standing next to the windscreen, he noticed this and sprayed her with the washer jets :worship:

In all seriousness we we had options to read all over the car and different places. He was opening the bootlid, bonnet etc with it. So I'm sure it would have picked up some codes if they were showing. Come to think of it, there was an instrument cluster fail code, from when I was installing my headunit a weeks back. Which we cleared, so yes it must have been working.

Sorry to question - was just double checking.

If there is no engine code stored it must be mechanical - i.e. blocked fuel filter, or engine 'earth' as suggested before. Its a shame you're so far or I'd jack it up and look. I would change fuel filter if you can hear it prime with ignition on (position two).

Last time my old BMW didn't start there were wires that got 'snagged/bitten' by some wild creature that I never caught! Could be rodent damage - god knows!

Good luck!

Nicholassss said:
Sorry to question - was just double checking.

If there is no engine code stored it must be mechanical - i.e. blocked fuel filter, or engine 'earth' as suggested before. Its a shame you're so far or I'd jack it up and look. I would change fuel filter if you can hear it prime with ignition on (position two).

Last time my old BMW didn't start there were wires that got 'snagged/bitten' by some wild creature that I never caught! Could be rodent damage - god knows!

Good luck!

No need to apologise! It's such a pain this issue. I am sure it is going to be something silly but finding it, is proven painstaking!

Have you checked for spark?

Have you checked fuel from pump?

Lets get these two out of the way. Your mechanic should be able to do this for you x

Mine did this when my fuel pump died in my turbo. It is not an uncommon fault, my Indy has seen several.

You may here the pump prime but that doesn't mean it's flowing fuel. Also there are lots of pipes attached to the pump/swirl pot. If one of these hasa crack or hole in it then it will suck air in and lead to the same symptoms.

Take a look here for a bit more info: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=93353&highlight=

I hoped that there would be a conclusion to this thread as it might have helped me in making a phone call tomorrow morning. :frustrated:

My car is in a pub car park 60 miles from home after suffering exactly the same issues as the OP.

:sad:

No EML Terry :?:

T8 said:
I hoped that there would be a conclusion to this thread as it might have helped me in making a phone call tomorrow morning. :frustrated:

My car is in a pub car park 60 miles from home after suffering exactly the same issues as the OP.

My initial thought when hearing you crank it was Crank Position Sensor, I can hear your fuel pump priming and there is a smell of fuel from the exhaust when you crank it, which is strange because if the CPS is faulty it should shut the pump down so it doesn't fire but maybe its different and shuts the spark down instead? A cam sensor could also be a culprit?

Another possibility is fuel delivery, specifically the pressure required and if its not enough it may not fire, hence the smell of fuel but no fire.

I hope it is something simple and cheap, pity I wasn't in a P car or I would have had my Durametric with me.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HannahMich
Back