Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DAB aerial ?

rob_p

Suzuka
Anyone care to recommend a decent DAB car aerial which is sympathetic to the 911's styling?
I currently have an internal screen mount type which is very discreet but also unfortunately only picks up 3 stations!
Reading up on line it seems you really need an externally mounted version which is suddenly quite limiting in terms of mounting and styling.
Any recommendations or good experiences to share?
Thanks
Rob

I recently had a DAB radio installed with a cheap (Halfords) antenna stuck to the inside of the windscreen near the passenger-side A-post and I get a lot more than just 3 DAB stations, so it may be due to poor signal strength in your locality? You will find coverage maps online which might confirm whether this could be the problem?

If you do want to go for an external antenna, Porsche initially sited external mobile phone antennas on the 996 on the car's roof (on the car's centre line and just ahead of the rear window), so I assume that they found it to be good position with regard to the antenna's cable run and to avoiding interference (at least where mobile phone frequencies are concerned).

www.dabonwheels.co.uk were really good when I bought one for the "FreeLoader". They do a long exchange if you aren't happy with it but of course, once you drill the panel :nooo: iPod all the way as far as I am concerned. We have a stick on one in the Freelander and it does get excellent reception until you turn on the heated windscreen.

I can hear all the adverts in crystal clear digital quality :frustrated:

It really is disappointing that several years after the introduction of DAB, your location can play such a part in signal availability. In much the same way as smart phone batteries have not improved a great deal or kept up with the advances in the phones themselves.
For listening to Planet rock or any other DAB station for that matter I simply Bluetooth the signal from my tunein phone app to my head unit. Again, I am dependent this time on 3G signal as opposed to DAB signal but in my experience, its certainly no worse and I do not have to mess about with an aerial of any sort.

I have a glass mounted aerial at the top centre of the rear screen. The antenna can be unscrewed when you are washing the car or folded flat to go under a car cover. The signal is transferred inductively to a matching plate on the inside of the glass, so no holes and is quite a discrete fitting. The cable is routed along and behind the headlining and down the A-pillar trim. So no cutting there either. Works quite well I think and is a lot better than the interior glass mount unit I have in another car.

There seams to be a lot more choice of these now than when I had it fitted a few years back.

Hope you manage to find a solution that works for you!

tim

Thanks guys.
Tim - does it still work when you turn the heated rear screen on?

hi there - sorry i did not see your question. TBH I've not tried it! I'd be surprised though if it didn't, however I'll give it a go when I'm next in the car.

tim

rob_p said:
Thanks guys.
Tim - does it still work when you turn the heated rear screen on?

...sorry for the long delay in replying!

As it turns out the answer is 'no'. DAB reception ceases if you turn it on :x

Oh well - as I rarely use the heated screen it's no big deal!

Porsche fit the GSM type aerials for trackers on the aluminium bumper bar under the front PU
I have also seen tracker aerials under the plastic trim where the windscreen wipers sit underneath the front windscreen
these places any good?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwarren1
Back